EXPIRED

passport photo countersignature question

All our passports need renewing and have been told by a few people that your photo doesn't need countersigning if its a good likeness of your previous passport?? Has anyone actually got their passport renewed without a countersignature??

Also can you post all 3 forms etc in 1 envelope to post off - obviously with the relevant postage etc??

Thanx all

X

20 Comments

You only need a counter signature for your first application or if you are under 11 years old.
I have renewed mine and my (older) kids without needing to be counter signed

Original Poster

sooziewoo

You only need a counter signature for your first application or if you … You only need a counter signature for your first application or if you are under 11 years old.I have renewed mine and my (older) kids without needing to be counter signed

My daughter is 13 and its her first passport - I read it as that needs to be countersigned and the section 10 bit completed - name if countersignature etc

Yep, if it's her first it needs a counter signature

Original Poster

sooziewoo

Yep, if it's her first it needs a counter signature

Trouble is more I read these forms the more gobbleygook they appear!

a quick google found this

gov.uk/cou…ons ..... Official Govt Website

extraxt from above

When you need someone else to sign your form and photo

You must get your form and one photo signed if you’re applying for:

your first adult or child passport
a replacement for a lost, stolen or damaged passport
a renewal of a passport for a child aged 11 or under
a renewal of a passport if your appearance has changed and you can’t be recognised from your existing passport

So as long as any of the above DO NOT apply to you or other 2 then no counter signature is required

I guess you can send all three in together - just use RMSD to be extra sure

also worth using the Post Office check and send service if you cannot afford any delays

EliTom

edit - just seen subsequent posts ..... 13yo WILL need counter sig

EliTom
Edited by: "elitom" 21st Jan 2015

Original Poster

elitom

a quick google found … a quick google found thishttps://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications ..... Official Govt Websiteextraxt from aboveWhen you need someone else to sign your form and photoYou must get your form and one photo signed if you’re applying for: your first adult or child passport a replacement for a lost, stolen or damaged passport a renewal of a passport for a child aged 11 or under a renewal of a passport if your appearance has changed and you can’t be recognised from your existing passportSo as long as any of the above DO NOT apply to you or other 2 then no counter signature is requiredI guess you can send all three in together - just use RMSD to be extra surealso worth using the Post Office check and send service if you cannot afford any delaysEliTom

Thankyou the delay isnt an issue we not away till august

Can be quite difficult to find someone 'qualified' to countersign sometimes!
As to your other question - you would be safer using three envelopes, imo. Having all in one env runs the risk of documents getting mixed up and /or only one form getting processed.

post all 2 in the same envelope yes. i done this for my one and my kids but each one was in there own envelope that was in one big envelope. so they did not get the photos and doc mixed up. done this before Xmass and got them back in 2weeks (got mins back within a week and the kids took 2 week). (mines was a renewal and my kids was his 1st one.

Sent my GF ones off a week later (Tuesday) and it was her 1st passport. she got a interview on that Saturday then the password arrived the the following Tuesday. should state we live in Scotland.

the above was a normal service for the passport.

My Bro went in for his password fast track. was told he did not need his photo countersignature as it was a renewal. when he arrived they said the his old passport photo was not a likeness of him and he would need one. (bare in mind he just drove 3h to the passport office, thanks god we he new people in Glasgow) .

So i would say about the countersignature my as well do them. that way they cannot reject them.

Edited by: "djmackie2000" 21st Jan 2015

Ar460rn

Can be quite difficult to find someone 'qualified' to countersign … Can be quite difficult to find someone 'qualified' to countersign sometimes!As to your other question - you would be safer using three envelopes, imo. Having all in one env runs the risk of documents getting mixed up and /or only one form getting processed.

yeah maybe !!

best is to use the PO Check and Send service at an extra £9.75 per passport

This then means the PO must check all is in order with your application and then they send it by RMSD anyway or other internal secure post - which is worth £6.40 in its own right.

Do not send your own passports for renewal without using at least RMSD - if they do not get delivered you will have a right game getting them renewed

EliTom

djmackie2000

post all 2 in the same envelope yes. i done this for my one and my kids … post all 2 in the same envelope yes. i done this for my one and my kids but each one was in there own envelope that was in one big envelope. so they did not get the photos and doc mixed up. done this before Xmass and got them back in 2weeks (got mins back within a week and the kids took 2 week). (mines was a renewal and my kids was his 1st one. Sent my GF ones off a week later (Tuesday) and it was her 1st passport. she got a interview on that Saturday then the password arrived the the following Tuesday. should state we live in Scotland.My Bro went in for his password fast track. was told he did not need his photo countersignature as it was a renewal. when he arrived they said the his old passport photo was not a likeness of him and he would need one. (bare in mind he just drove 3h to the passport office, thanks god we he new people in Glasgow) . So i would say about the countersignature my as well do them. that way they cannot reject them.

good point !!!!

I did it with my last renewal - but that was an emergency because my old passport had fallen apart

as you need to find someone to do your 13yo daughter may as well get them all done together !

EliTom

elitom

[quote=Ar460rn] Can be quite difficult to find someone 'qualified' to … [quote=Ar460rn] Can be quite difficult to find someone 'qualified' to countersign sometimes!.

what do you mean by this. i just for my Friend to do this. used to be people like doctors, police and that. that had to do them now they are not allowed as they have to put down there passport number.

i am sure it only says on it has to be someone that has known you for more then 2 years and have a valid passport. (might say they have to be in work.. not sure)

djmackie2000

what do you mean by this. i just for my Friend to do this. used to be … what do you mean by this. i just for my Friend to do this. used to be people like doctors, police and that. that had to do them now they are not allowed as they have to put down there passport number. i am sure it only says on it has to be someone that has known you for more then 2 years and have a valid passport. (might say they have to be in work.. not sure)

again from my link above

Who can sign forms and photos
Personal relationship

The countersignatory must:

have known the person applying for at least 2 years
be able to identify the person applying, eg they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows them professionally)

They can’t be closely related or involved with the person applying, eg:

related by birth or marriage
be in a relationship or live at the same address as the person applying
and

Countersignatories must work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession or be ‘a person of good standing in their community’, eg:

accountant
airline pilot
articled clerk of a limited company
assurance agent of recognised company
bank/building society official
barrister
chairman/director of limited company
chiropodist
commissioner of oaths
councillor, eg local or county
civil servant (permanent), but not someone who works for Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HMPO)
dentist
director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
engineer - with professional qualifications
financial services intermediary, eg a stockbroker or insurance broker
fire service official
funeral director
insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
journalist
Justice of the Peace
legal secretary - fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs
licensee of public house
local government officer
manager/personnel officer of a limited company
member, associate or fellow of a professional body
Member of Parliament
Merchant Navy officer
minister of a recognised religion - including Christian Science
nurse - RGN or RMN
officer of the armed services
optician
paralegal - certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals
person with honours, eg an OBE or MBE
pharmacist
photographer - professional
police officer
Post Office official
president/secretary of a recognised organisation
Salvation Army officer
social worker
solicitor
surveyor
teacher, lecturer
trade union officer
travel agent - qualified
valuer or auctioneer - fellows and associate members of the incorporated society
Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers

that is quite a long list - most peopel can find someone within those criteria!

EliTom

forgot to say the passport office lost my GF mums birth and marriage certificates. they where like we sent them back. and we are like have it here only got my GF Birth Certificate in it. and done it by PO Check and Send service and paid extra for secure delivery (postman just put it thought the door, how secure is that. no signature and my GF was in the house at the time.
Edited by: "djmackie2000" 21st Jan 2015

They seem to have expanded the list since I last had to get a countersigned photo! I remember it as much more restrictive.
Last time I think I used a retired Army officer who is a friend of the family.

My passport was renewed in August without countersigned pictures. Used post office check n send and had the passport back in 4 days, was sent off Monday and back with me on Friday.

Forgot to add Passport Office use DX courier to deliver new passports and old one plus supporting documents come back via RM.

The last company I worked for offered a free passport image signing service for its employees from their pool of qualified employees
Edited by: "arachnoid" 21st Jan 2015

Original Poster

Brilliant thanx for the replies - decision is will individually envelope forms and post recorded delivery in larger envelope. Obviously will get daughters form countersigned and seems as got plenty of time will see if ours ok without. Thanx again!

use post office service, will cost but mostly hassle free

Original Poster

Just thought would update this - I posted my 3 passport forms off last monday. 2 renewals and 1 new passport. Completed it online and printed declaration off and sent it off with photos, both renewals I didnt get countersigned - exactly 1 week and 1 day later both my husbands and my renewal turn up by courier! Fab turn around. My daughters new passport which I got countersigned as stated has already been despatched too, so should be here later this week.
So even tho our passport had lapsed 5 years ago and its 15 years since last picture, no countersignature needed.

Thanx again all

H x

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
  1. Sky or Virgin?1418
  2. Tenant rights for failing agreement to replace carpets1015
  3. Which Smart Watch for Running?24
  4. O2 data roaming in France44

See more discussions