Passport photos printed out too large?

Found 10th Jun 2015
Hello, I have followed the instructions from an earlier post, saying how to do your own passport photos. My daughter did her own photos in a photo booth (to get the right background). I uploaded the photos and picked one to use for the passport editor site. Did exactly everything right and afterwards printed out a set of 4 on to a piece of plain paper to see if they looked ok etc. On the printout, the photos are the correct size - 35 mm x 45 mm. However, my daughter has just come back from printing the set on a 6" x 4" sheet of photo paper at Boots, and now the photos are actually measuring 40 mm x 50 mm! If I send two of them off, will the passport office accept them and just trim them down to size - noticed that they trimmed my photo down to 33 mm x 40 mm on my passport, but don't know if they will only do this if the photos sent in are exactly 35 mm x 45 mm? Any advice appreciated. Thank you.
Community Updates
AskPhoto
10 Comments
The passport office will most probably not accept them - they are the wrong size and most likely the proportions are all wrong now too.

One mm or so over each way (36x46) doesn't tend to get picked up, but this is a bigger discrepancy. Printing machines in stores do sometime enlarge without requesting it - I've always got my money back (or just agreed not to pay) when that's happened.
Get everything right with passport office. I had a nightmare with ours- it ran for ages, applications handed back to me time and again for the tiniest discrepancy. One time the person on the counter thought signatures weren't the same ( one was on paper form, one was in back of a tiny glossy photo), one time one part of one letter was 'just' touching the inner margin of the box( though still completely inside box). One time they thought photo didn't look like me (!), had just had it taken in their booth. And this was all different post offices! I went for the ' have it checked as you send it' service, or whatever they call it. The messing around was inconvenient, but infinitely preferable to keep having it all sent back to me in the post.
Original Poster
Ferris

The passport office will most probably not accept them - they are the … The passport office will most probably not accept them - they are the wrong size and most likely the proportions are all wrong now too.One mm or so over each way (36x46) doesn't tend to get picked up, but this is a bigger discrepancy. Printing machines in stores do sometime enlarge without requesting it - I've always got my money back (or just agreed not to pay) when that's happened.

I've just noticed that on the file that was saved to my computer, which I printed out on my printer as a test, the paper that it has printed is actually sized as 3.8 " x 5.6 " (not 4 " x 6 "), however, the photos are the correct size. It was when it was printed at Boots that as we asked for a 4" x 6" print, which it did give, the photos on it have increased in size by 5 mm each side. Any idea as to how I can get around this problem (on the passport editor page, I did say that I wanted a 4" x 6" print)? Thank you.
Sophiasky

I've just noticed that on the file that was saved to my computer, which I … I've just noticed that on the file that was saved to my computer, which I printed out on my printer as a test, the paper that it has printed is actually sized as 3.8 " x 5.6 " (not 4 " x 6 "), however, the photos are the correct size. It was when it was printed at Boots that as we asked for a 4" x 6" print, which it did give, the photos on it have increased in size by 5 mm each side. Any idea as to how I can get around this problem (on the passport editor page, I did say that I wanted a 4" x 6" print)? Thank you.

Did you select UK passport, as different countries use different sizes, also auto machines like to enlarge or crop, you need to select the option to not do that when printing.
Sophiasky

I've just noticed that on the file that was saved to my computer, which I … I've just noticed that on the file that was saved to my computer, which I printed out on my printer as a test, the paper that it has printed is actually sized as 3.8 " x 5.6 " (not 4 " x 6 "), however, the photos are the correct size. It was when it was printed at Boots that as we asked for a 4" x 6" print, which it did give, the photos on it have increased in size by 5 mm each side. Any idea as to how I can get around this problem (on the passport editor page, I did say that I wanted a 4" x 6" print)? Thank you.

I'm not sure that I follow. Is the image you're printing 4x6? If the image is 4x6 and the photos are the right size, there shouldn't be an issue. If you're trying to print a smaller image as a 4x6 print, then the machine will attempt to scale it up to fill the print, and that's why the measurements are out, I guess.
Original Poster
Ferris

I'm not sure that I follow. Is the image you're printing 4x6? If the … I'm not sure that I follow. Is the image you're printing 4x6? If the image is 4x6 and the photos are the right size, there shouldn't be an issue. If you're trying to print a smaller image as a 4x6 print, then the machine will attempt to scale it up to fill the print, and that's why the measurements are out, I guess.

I went through the link that was mentioned by the person who posted it. I've got the correct country and selected it for a passport photo of 4.5 cm x 3.5 cm. When it said 'get my photo', I uploaded it and then did what it said I had to do. I then saved it to my computer. The problem appears to be, when I printed out a paper copy (for a test) of the downloaded file (gives you four photos and a blank side on it), the measurement is coming out as 3.8" x 5.6". On measuring an individual photo, the measurements are correct for a passport. The problem is when it was printed at Boots - my daughter selected 4" x 6" and every photo (four of them) of the print out had increased in size by 5 mm each side (the print out sheet did measure 4" x 6"). I suppose that I don't understand why the paper copy that I did at home was only coming out as 3.8" x 5.6" (even though the photos were then the correct passport size)? Thank you.
Banned
I tried 3 and only 1 came out nice. so paid for 2 children's pictures. just stop moaning over £6 hun
if printing out slightly too big (all crop slightly in different ways) try too find option for borders or print full size option. been printing for years ....
Sophiasky

I went through the link that was mentioned by the person who posted it. … I went through the link that was mentioned by the person who posted it. I've got the correct country and selected it for a passport photo of 4.5 cm x 3.5 cm. When it said 'get my photo', I uploaded it and then did what it said I had to do. I then saved it to my computer. The problem appears to be, when I printed out a paper copy (for a test) of the downloaded file (gives you four photos and a blank side on it), the measurement is coming out as 3.8" x 5.6". On measuring an individual photo, the measurements are correct for a passport. The problem is when it was printed at Boots - my daughter selected 4" x 6" and every photo (four of them) of the print out had increased in size by 5 mm each side (the print out sheet did measure 4" x 6"). I suppose that I don't understand why the paper copy that I did at home was only coming out as 3.8" x 5.6" (even though the photos were then the correct passport size)? Thank you.

I'm not sure what to suggest without seeing the file itself, as I've never used a site - I do all my own passport photos in Photoshop for family and friends, and also sell to others, but I've never had a similar problem - the closest was when the machine once printed a mm too big. Sorry!
If you pay for the Royal Mail check then you are throwing yourself into the hands of incompetent fools.
Much better to fill it in yourself and send it off. The passport office use common sense, the post office goons are just hell bent on obstructing your holiday.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants