Expired

Passport renewal photographs

Found 5th Jun 2014
I need to renew my passport, and I notice that the guidance notes state I only need to get the photos countersigned if I can't be recognised from the previous passport photo. Ten years ago I had a shaved head, but now I have longish hair; other than that, I look the same (and people often assume I'm ten years younger than I am!) However, according to the passport office this is enough to make me unrecognisable! I burst out laughing on the phone when the woman said that to me.

Has anyone had experience of such a slight change in appearance between passport applications? Should I seek out a countersignatory just to be on the safe side?
Community Updates
AskPhoto
11 Comments
Shave your head
Original Poster
The time is not too far away when my head will do that for me...
Banned
wear a wig
just get countersigned photos done

Passport office has horrendous delays right now so you could get your application thrown out weeks down the line

I guess it also depends on how quickly you need your passport back

at the end of the day photos can be had for about a fiver in places like Timpsons - done to the required standards

EliTom
They are very fussy over passport photos.
Mine were rejected cos i was wearing glasses (which i wear all the time)
and no, there wasn't any glare reflecting off them.
My brother and my dad had a head full of hair in their passport then on renewal they had a shaved head. No problem as other facial features like the eyes, nose etc distinct one face from another. It was not difficult to tell it was same person on scrutiny. I mean they can recognise you from your eye pupil so I doubt if hairstyle will affect recognition under scrutiny.
Original Poster
elitom

just get countersigned photos donePassport office has horrendous delays … just get countersigned photos donePassport office has horrendous delays right now so you could get your application thrown out weeks down the lineI guess it also depends on how quickly you need your passport backat the end of the day photos can be had for about a fiver in places like Timpsons - done to the required standardsEliTom

It's not getting the photos done that's the issue - I'd have to get photos done for a passport renewal anyway. Even a countersignature shouldn't be too awkward to secure. It's more just the issue of recognisability, and whether anyone else had had similar issues (I'm sure I'm not the only person in the UK who has changed hairstyle in the last decade :))

I did need the passport fairly urgently, but I've given up on that idea having read your post!

alang99

They are very fussy over passport photos.Mine were rejected cos i was … They are very fussy over passport photos.Mine were rejected cos i was wearing glasses (which i wear all the time)and no, there wasn't any glare reflecting off them.

Someone else told me that the other day too - no glasses allowed at all. It's strange that they don't make any mention of that in the guidance notes if that is now the rule.

mutley1

My brother and my dad had a head full of hair in their passport then on … My brother and my dad had a head full of hair in their passport then on renewal they had a shaved head. No problem as other facial features like the eyes, nose etc distinct one face from another. It was not difficult to tell it was same person on scrutiny. I mean they can recognise you from your eye pupil so I doubt if hairstyle will affect recognition under scrutiny.

That's what I thought, but the lady from the passport office said a changed hairstyle is enough to render me unrecognisable. She even went away and checked with someone senior. I found it hilarious
if you need it urgently then pay for fast-track

friends at work are cancelling their kids from their holidays because they have waited over 9 weeks now (OK for first passports) - but still no communication from Passport Office - the delays are extreme right now

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2637819/Passport-chaos-threatens-ruin-half-term-getaway-overwhelmed-staff-struggle-issue-documents-time.html

EliTom
elitom

just get countersigned photos donePassport office has horrendous delays … just get countersigned photos donePassport office has horrendous delays right now so you could get your application thrown out weeks down the lineI guess it also depends on how quickly you need your passport backat the end of the day photos can be had for about a fiver in places like Timpsons - done to the required standardsAgree - it's not worth toing and froing when they reject it.EliTom

Original Poster
elitom

if you need it urgently then pay for fast-trackfriends at work are … if you need it urgently then pay for fast-trackfriends at work are cancelling their kids from their holidays because they have waited over 9 weeks now (OK for first passports) - but still no communication from Passport Office - the delays are extreme right nowhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2637819/Passport-chaos-threatens-ruin-half-term-getaway-overwhelmed-staff-struggle-issue-documents-time.htmlEliTom

Getting to the passport office is logistically too much hassle right now, and I'd probably have to wait 3-4+ weeks just to get an appointment (or more, if the delays logically extend to the premium service), by which time it would likely be too late to book the trip anyway. In reality I've screwed up by delaying the renewal, as it says three weeks for a renewal on the gov.uk website.
Ferris

That's what I thought, but the lady from the passport office said a … That's what I thought, but the lady from the passport office said a changed hairstyle is enough to render me unrecognisable. She even went away and checked with someone senior. I found it hilarious

They have to say that to be safe. I would risk it if you don't need passport urgently and wait for the outcome. I think you should be fine.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants