Password in Word document

Found 5th Feb
Could anyone confirm this, i have a Word document, I have added a password to open the document (Info =. Permission => Encrypt with password), I save the document, and close it, when I reopen it, it does not ask me for a password? Is it because I am the creator of the document, and it's my computer? And it will ask for a password on somebody else computer or a different person logging on? TIA
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
8 Comments
It should ask you for the password each time - I just tried it under W10 and it did.

Have you closed word each time as well?

Or even rebooted the PC and tried?
Edited by: "ccnp" 5th Feb
Original Poster
Not rebooted, closed Word yes. It's strange, you should not have to reboot a PC for that change to take place
Just edited my first response to say it asks me for the pswd
Original Poster
just done it again, put password in, saved 2 or 3 times, exited Word, when i open the document it just opens, frustrating
When you save-as the document you should get a dropdown that says tools, then general options you should have two options on where you will need to enter the password. One for if you want to modify it and one for when you one the document. This is a step-by-step if you need any help.

webucator.com/tut…cfm
Original Poster
OK Thanks d3fult_7, i am at work right now, will try it tomorrow morning when i am back home.
Edited by: "jeannot18" 5th Feb
jeannot1812 h, 10 m ago

Not rebooted, closed Word yes. It's strange, you should not have to reboot …Not rebooted, closed Word yes. It's strange, you should not have to reboot a PC for that change to take place

Agreed - rebooting won't alter anything here.
Original Poster
d3fult_75th Feb

When you save-as the document you should get a dropdown that says tools, …When you save-as the document you should get a dropdown that says tools, then general options you should have two options on where you will need to enter the password. One for if you want to modify it and one for when you one the document. This is a step-by-step if you need any help.https://www.webucator.com/tutorial/advanced-microsoft-word/protecting-documents/password-protect-word-documents-reading.cfm

Thank you! The second option worked, for some reason the first option does not
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants