Groups

Patio Cost

Hi
    has anyone had a patio laid this year? just looking for a very rough idea of cost e.g. £40 per square meter. Obviously i know its massively variable depending on a million things but i have literally no idea what a patio would cost.

in our case its probably around 15sq meters of flag patio plus.

Thanks

11 Comments

Hi your comment caught my attention. Thought I would give my opinion as I work in construction.

Employing a small building firm, they'd have to pay a decent guy £150 minimum (per day) to dig off the mud that's there or clear off any old slabs. That is if you want to keep everything at existing height. So £300 if 2 days work, before any company profit.

Then factor in £200 for an 8 yard skip for a dig off, or clear up.

If a machine needs to come in you have to pay for that. You might get a man and a very small digger in for the day for £250.

Probably £500 before you even started? Then for 15 metres are you looking at bare minimum £100 for Ministry of Transport (MOT) type one crushed hardcore. £50 to allow for wacker plate to put down the base. And rest of a 3rd day to mark it all out and sort out levels

£800 so far? Before the company made a profit or covered things like trucks or vans to get the guys to work. Then public liability and a little extra in the kitty to allow for any problems at a later date - or if they dig through a phone cable just under the ground

Ordinary slabs are about £6 each for 600mm x 600mm. Works out around £20 a metre just for the slabs. So £350 for slabs to allow for the odd broken one or cuts and £150 for sand and cement.

A one man band might fancy it at £1500 if he's quiet? In reality £2 grand at least and £4k if you want a nice job and decent slab/pointing inbetween them.

You could maybe knock a couple of hundred quid off a higher quote if you can labour yourself

Hope this was helpful. I am in Essex

Edited by: "hot_sauce73" 21st Oct 2016

I asked a builder for a ball-park figure, and was given £100 per square metre, though he also said it can vary depending on what other preparatory work needs to be done.

Have you considered block paving, or decking which still make nice patios,should get cheaper quotes than you would for slab paving depending on what sort of product you are thinking of.

Float the job on ratedpeople.com and see what happens. Post as much detail as possible with photos. Works well in my experience as only people who are interested in the job and available will bid for it. You can then haggle between your preferred builders.

Have seen a reply or 3 on here since my sensible pricing estimate. I can't see how anyone would budge on what I suggested. Anyone got any ideas how to do things please let me know as I have been doing this kind of thing full time for 14 years. Maybe I been missing something that no one else knows in my line of work?

Maybe I should pop round and lay a patio for £70? Being honest on my costing sheet a medium van is £40 a day. Before a days wages - so maybe not?

Guess either that or hang out at the YMCA and see if any out of work people, who are already signing on, want to earn an extra £15 a day. Maybe throw in a bottle of whiskey for good work?

If you want £40 a metre paving, good luck. Maybe just buy a few tons of stone an stamp it into some mud. Call that your patio.

I only been on here a day and it's a wind up seeing less than sensible suggestions.

Original Poster

hot_sauce73

Hi your comment caught my attention. Thought I would give my opinion as I … Hi your comment caught my attention. Thought I would give my opinion as I work in construction.Employing a small building firm, they'd have to pay a decent guy £150 minimum (per day) to dig off the mud that's there or clear off any old slabs. That is if you want to keep everything at existing height. So £300 if 2 days work, before any company profit.Then factor in £200 for an 8 yard skip for a dig off, or clear up. If a machine needs to come in you have to pay for that. You might get a man and a very small digger in for the day for £250.Probably £500 before you even started? Then for 15 metres are you looking at bare minimum £100 for Ministry of Transport (MOT) type one crushed hardcore. £50 to allow for wacker plate to put down the base. And rest of a 3rd day to mark it all out and sort out levels£800 so far? Before the company made a profit or covered things like trucks or vans to get the guys to work. Then public liability and a little extra in the kitty to allow for any problems at a later date - or if they dig through a phone cable just under the groundOrdinary slabs are about £6 each for 600mm x 600mm. Works out around £20 a metre just for the slabs. So £350 for slabs to allow for the odd broken one or cuts and £150 for sand and cement.A one man band might fancy it at £1500 if he's quiet? In reality £2 grand at least and £4k if you want a nice job and decent slab/pointing inbetween them.You could maybe knock a couple of hundred quid off a higher quote if you can labour yourselfHope this was helpful. I am in Essex

​Cheers for the reply great response.

hot_sauce73

Anyone got any ideas how to do things please let me know as I have been … Anyone got any ideas how to do things please let me know as I have been doing this kind of thing full time for 14 years. Maybe I been missing something that no one else knows in my line of work?

I'm assuming that this is partly aimed at me, since I'm one of the three who posted after you did. My estimate would come to £1,500+ for the size in question, and since you said that £1,500 to £2,000 is possible, how is my estimate so incredible wrong as to elicit such a sarcastic response?:|

Seriously do it yourself. I did a 30 sq mtr patio (stone was £1200)
    5 ton bags of hardcore/MOT/Grano to dust
    2 ton bags sand
    20 cement
    Whacker for a day
    Cement mixer over a weekend
    A bit of hard graft and research and learning
    In total spent £1650 on it. Prep work was the key and my own graft saved the fortunes.
    Dont get the Van comment. These businesses will deliver for free nowadays so they can walk with their kit bag X)

But you need to look at what type of paving you want will determine not just price on quality but on preperation and laying too.

bigweapon07

Seriously do it yourself. I did a 30 sq mtr patio (stone was £1200) 5 ton … Seriously do it yourself. I did a 30 sq mtr patio (stone was £1200) 5 ton bags of hardcore/MOT/Grano to dust2 ton bags sand20 cementWhacker for a dayCement mixer over a weekendA bit of hard graft and research and learningIn total spent £1650 on it. Prep work was the key and my own graft saved the fortunes.Dont get the Van comment. These businesses will deliver for free nowadays so they can walk with their kit bag X)But you need to look at what type of paving you want will determine not just price on quality but on preperation and laying too.

And 3 years later its still solid and as before (i used a sealer at a cost of £25 for the tin)

I do apologise to people regarding the previous comment. And if you want to take advise from someone that does patios at £1650, before he's even drawn a wage or worked out how to get to yours - well you might as well hire a tradesman?

Yes things like van as transport do get factored into business costs.

I can't imagine even a bricklayer getting on the bus these days. That's even with just a bucket of tools and a spirit level.

Someone doing a patio would have so much gear, including fold out set squares, disc cutter, cement mixer - need I go on. Or should he put all his tools in a wheel barrow and walk them to yours? lol. What if he needs more cement in a hurry? Or an extra ton of stone? The option, when you don't have transport is to cut corners - make do?

Self employed man £150 a day
    Skips £200 for 8 yard
    Decent hardcore and sharp sand are probably £50 a ton bag - which doesn't go anywhere. If you have the space get this delivered tipped.
    Factor in 10 plus bags of cement on a big patio.
    Tool hire too. Or again a tradesman would factor this into his price.
    And any sensible business would have office running costs, and staff that aren't on the tools. All this and insurance needs to be covered.

As a business, after covering costs you need to make a big profit when working as you may lose time in the winter, yet still have staffing costs - when no money is coming in. One of your workers could get injured and you'd want to cover his wages when he couldn't produce. A joke would be making £100 company profit per site then finding out one of your lads needed new boots then the mixer needed a repair.

They say if you can do a cost, you can estimate the cost. So think about what you are going to do. How long it will take and what you will need. Then add a bit, then a bit more, lol

Think you missed my point. I was stripping out the cost of someone doing it for you. 15sq mtrs is a little job and any diy person can do it with a little research and patience with a little added elbow grease. I spent 3 and half days on mine with a friend. Most of that was hoarding stock through a walkway to the back of the house. It can be done , its just how much will youve got.
    And yes... they can use their wheelbarrow. Thats a good idea
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. cats and royal canin biscuits914
      2. Electricity55
      3. Iptv918
      4. Wireless Earphones for Running56

See more discussions