Patio door: bifold or french?

Found 12th Aug
Hiii
We are having a 2m wide door opening from dining room to backyard. I was thinking of 2 french doors but my better half wants to go for bifold door. I don’t have any idea how much more will bifold door cost more. Any idea ?
Also, is it true that bifold doors are more popular these days ?

Thanks a lot
Community Updates
AskDoor
9 Comments
We have aluminium bi-folds but they span nearly 5m. I don't know if 2m bi-folds would look odd or not. If you go for bi-folds I would avoid uPVC - a neighbour has them and has had nothing but trouble with them in the sun - they seem to contract and expand at an alarming rate and sometimes she can't get them open.
bi fold all the way they are brilliant in summer and really open up the room I got mine from a company called alufold in blackburn really great price
b0builder3214 m ago

bi fold all the way they are brilliant in summer and really open up the …bi fold all the way they are brilliant in summer and really open up the room I got mine from a company called alufold in blackburn really great price

What is the size of your door? & based on previous msg as well I assume aluminium is the best ?
I would opt for Ali if you want Bi folds as the other post suggests upvc moves with heat.

You also need to consider your sight lines. A french door with an open of 950 each door will have the middle lock section and the rest glass.

If you opted for a 3 part Bi fold you would have more frame and less glass.

If you opted for a 2 part Bi fold you would have the same frame & glass as the french door but paying more money.
Good luck
b0builder3227 m ago

bi fold all the way they are brilliant in summer and really open up the …bi fold all the way they are brilliant in summer and really open up the room I got mine from a company called alufold in blackburn really great price

Surely bifold doors have less open area than French doors over a 2m width. Mine open outward and clip to the walls. French doors are cheaper and probably have better insulation properties due to fewer seals.
mine fold back to a panel at one side of the opening the op has 2 meters so would only have two door when open on French one either side when opening on bifold 2 at one side so they would be around the same.
saying that I am not saying you are wrong that was just my interpretation
I am a computer guy not a door and window fitter lol
I think that would depend how you voted!
b0builder3233 m ago

mine fold back to a panel at one side of the opening the op has 2 meters …mine fold back to a panel at one side of the opening the op has 2 meters so would only have two door when open on French one either side when opening on bifold 2 at one side so they would be around the same.saying that I am not saying you are wrong that was just my interpretation I am a computer guy not a door and window fitter lol

fair enough but my doors dont take up any of the open frame area when fully opened. Cost me about £300 10 years ago and took me and my Dad about 4 hours to remove old and fit new (it was surprisingly easy).
Bear in mind the smaller the opening the more frame you will have with bi-folds. Say you have 80mm wide frame when the doors are closed you will have 160mm worth of frame. Bifold are good and the are the new craze but they look better with a big opening.
Aluminium is much nicer than plastic you might pay a bit more but if you have them for 10 years a few extra hundred quid is worth it in my opinion. You can expect to pay around £1000 per door leaf.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants