Patio doors- deforming in heat - not shutting?

Found 20th Apr
Anyone else encountered these issues?

When doors are left open they can't withstand the heat and then don't shut properly..what's the point of them if they shouldn't be left open in the sunshine??
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
Wooden doors i can understand, not so much PVC
deleted1597344
PVC shouldn’t do that, not that I’ve ever experienced. PVC doors are known to sag which would cause this issue, maybe the hinges just need adjusting.
Where I lived previously the patio doors were pvc and they used to expand so much in the sun that they were difficult to close.
What colour are the doors ? As you should not use dark doors sloth facing
Mine happens every few years and I have to call the company out to fix it. I could take out their maintenance contract but it’s too expensive so have to fork out around £65 per visit. Would love to see how to fix it. It’s normally the lock that they have to fix as I pull the door hard for it to close. The lock then goes.
Depends on if they're indirect sunlight. My grp front door expands when hot and becomes tighter but this is normal . Would depend on if you have to lift the doors to shut I guess.
How old are they?
Did you pay by credit card?
Is the firm still in business?
French doors or patio doors? French doors have probably dropped so need re ‘toe and heeling’ or there are Allen key adjustments on side top and bottom. Bottom lifts the door. Side Allen key moves it left and right. Probably 4or 5mm Allen key.
Patio doors have screws at the very bottom or both sides. Get a long Phillips and turn. One way will lift the other way will lower. They probably need to go up.
marshy511 h, 58 m ago

French doors or patio doors? French doors have probably dropped so need re …French doors or patio doors? French doors have probably dropped so need re ‘toe and heeling’ or there are Allen key adjustments on side top and bottom. Bottom lifts the door. Side Allen key moves it left and right. Probably 4or 5mm Allen key. Patio doors have screws at the very bottom or both sides. Get a long Phillips and turn. One way will lift the other way will lower. They probably need to go up.

Two different companies, the first was a back door leading into the garden. We had to call emergency services at 1am on home insurance to get the door fixed.

I wasn't clear what the engineer did, but he did say this is a frequent issue in the heat when the doors are left open. (Door was left open all day in blazing heat of ~30℃ + last summer)

The second time, now, it's a totally different house, porch door left partially open about 27℃ for about 5hrs. Now a metal ribbon has loosened and won't close. Perhaps two different issues coincidentally.
Edited by: "SCuboid" 20th Apr
ccnp2 h, 28 m ago

How old are they?Did you pay by credit card?Is the firm still in business?

Hi, ccnp, age unsure as the previous vendor installed them.
kester765 h, 14 m ago

Depends on if they're indirect sunlight. My grp front door expands when …Depends on if they're indirect sunlight. My grp front door expands when hot and becomes tighter but this is normal . Would depend on if you have to lift the doors to shut I guess.

Direct sunlight I'm afraid, we've never had to lift the doors to shut them before..
sydney8716 h, 7 m ago

Mine happens every few years and I have to call the company out to fix it. …Mine happens every few years and I have to call the company out to fix it. I could take out their maintenance contract but it’s too expensive so have to fork out around £65 per visit. Would love to see how to fix it. It’s normally the lock that they have to fix as I pull the door hard for it to close. The lock then goes.

Does this occur due to heat, or is it a lock related issue?
andyanddiane6 h, 48 m ago

White, south east direction (or sw not sure!)
deleted159734420th Apr

PVC shouldn’t do that, not that I’ve ever experienced. PVC doors are known …PVC shouldn’t do that, not that I’ve ever experienced. PVC doors are known to sag which would cause this issue, maybe the hinges just need adjusting.

I recall the engineer who came out referred to the hinges, and he worked on them for a good hour, maybe this is what occurs in direct heat..grrrr wish I'd taken notes when he came round
andyanddiane6 h, 53 m ago

Nonsense
SCuboid14 m ago

Two different companies, the first was a back door leading into the …Two different companies, the first was a back door leading into the garden. We had to call emergency services at 1am on home insurance to get the door fixed. I wasn't clear what the engineer did, but he did say this is a frequent issue in the heat when the doors are left open. (Door was left open all day in blazing heat of ~30℃ + last summer)The second time, now, it's a totally different house, porch door left partially open about 27℃ for about 5hrs. Now a metal ribbon has loosened and won't close. Perhaps two different issues coincidentally.

Metal ribbon?
SCuboid1 h, 30 m ago

Does this occur due to heat, or is it a lock related issue?

No heat. I have French PVC doors so they “expand “ so I have to force close them. The doors lock by pushing the handle upwards. So in the summer as the doors have not closed properly I have to get this locked which causes the lock to give over time.
Edited by: "sydney871" 20th Apr
sydney8711 h, 3 m ago

No heat. I have French PVC doors so they “expand “ so I have to force clo …No heat. I have French PVC doors so they “expand “ so I have to force close them. The doors lock by pushing the handle upwards. So in the summer as the doors have not closed properly I have to get this locked which causes the lock to give over time.

They’re just not locating properly. If you look at the doors from outside whilst they’re closed the gap between the doors should be the same all the way down. I reckon you’ve got a small gap up top and big gap down the bottom. 5mm Allen key on the side of both top hinges and wind them over. Best take a photo of the hinges and put them on here.
I’m a window fitter
marshy5128 m ago

They’re just not locating properly. If you look at the doors from outside w …They’re just not locating properly. If you look at the doors from outside whilst they’re closed the gap between the doors should be the same all the way down. I reckon you’ve got a small gap up top and big gap down the bottom. 5mm Allen key on the side of both top hinges and wind them over. Best take a photo of the hinges and put them on here. I’m a window fitter

Thanks it has not happened this year as got it fixed last year . I think that is what the guy said when he fixed it.
Yep happened today couldn't get the shut
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants