Patio slab

Found 29th Jul
Hello good people
Any recommendations for patio slabs ? Any good store or good deals/offers.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Dear god , this is one of the most complicated topics you could ask
1. Natural stone Vs man made
2. Laying on sand or concrete bedding
3. Size of the patio
4. Colours
5. Uniform or variable size (that alone makes it a mess out of the topic)
6. Laying yourself or will have a man tondonit
7. Riven or smooth
8. Patio packs or individual slabs
And I haven't even gotten into recommendations yet.

Anyhow
Travis Perkins has some.good deals on patio packs
Cheshiresandstone.com
your usual Google search stuff like simply paving and pavedirect. Marshall b&q Wickes etc.
Local builder merchants
Forgot to mention .... Have a good read about paving, how to etc on pavingexpert.com
Edited by: "mattsk" 29th Jul
From my recent experience...
If you pick something a little out of the ordinary make sure you (or the pros) read up on how to lay it... I’ve just had to relay our whole patio after the so called pros messed it up 3 times!
Simply Paving have some good offers. Delivery is free when buying full packs, I've used this company twice before and have found their pavers/delivery excellent and very reasonable priced. Hope this helps you
mattsk29th Jul

Dear god , this is one of the most complicated topics you could ask1. …Dear god , this is one of the most complicated topics you could ask1. Natural stone Vs man made 2. Laying on sand or concrete bedding3. Size of the patio4. Colours5. Uniform or variable size (that alone makes it a mess out of the topic)6. Laying yourself or will have a man tondonit7. Riven or smooth8. Patio packs or individual slabs And I haven't even gotten into recommendations yet.Anyhow Travis Perkins has some.good deals on patio packsCheshiresandstone.com your usual Google search stuff like simply paving and pavedirect. Marshall b&q Wickes etc.Local builder merchants

Finally I have all your answers so that you can guide correctly:
No preference (cheaper)

Concrete bedding

3. Size of the patio
Builder suggested 150 tiles of size 0.6x0.6 that includes extra for wear & tear.

4. Colours
Buff

Uniform

Builder

7. Riven or smooth
Textured or any rough surface

Packs

Looking forward for your advice & suggestions. Thanks again
Finally I have all your answers so that you can guide correctly:
No preference (cheaper)

Cheaper would be man made. but the cheaper they are the worse they look (they have that council style if you know what I mean)
cheapest you can get would be around £14/m2 (check out B&Q - and you can actually visit to inspect) if you want slightly better quality then we are looking at around £18-20/m2 for that you can look for cheap natural stone slabs which will look far much better even if it is the lowest quality ones.

Concrete bedding
you can lay man made slabs on 40mm bed of sharp/grit sand alone. That would reduce the cost further. However you need to remember that minimum thickness for laying on sand is 30mm thick slab. Mortar bed would be any slab but you need to have a full bed not dot-blob malarkey. So if you ask your builder to use mortar bed make sure he does it correctly

3. Size of the patio
Builder suggested 150 tiles of size 0.6x0.6 that includes extra for wear & tear.

Based on that your patio size is around 50m2. That seems rather large given size of UK gardens

4. Colours
Buff

Uniform
based on your previous answer you are looking at 60x60cm slabs, that reduces the choice a bit

Builder
read answer 2. If you want to save some money look at The Carpanters Daughter on Youtube

7. Riven or smooth
Textured or any rough surface

Packs

Suggestions:

simplypaving.com/pav…tml
this is sold everywhere. If you want to check how they look, go to B&Q Wickes or Homebase

My general recommendations:
simplypaving.com/val…htm
pavingsuperstore.co.uk

these are 2 of the cheapest ones I know of
I would also suggest looking at local builders merchants and garden centres

but as you are getting towards £20/m2 mark it may be better to have natural stone for similar price
for example
cheshiresandstone.com/pro…ck/ this works out at £17.50 per m2 and looks so much better

the only difference is the slab as laying method will be the same

Also look at doing it yourself like me

34984253-fn5zc.jpgIt's not perfect (and finished yet) but I have managed to save quite a few quid
mattsk1 h, 51 m ago

Finally I have all your answers so that you can guide correctly:1. Natural …Finally I have all your answers so that you can guide correctly:1. Natural stone Vs man made No preference (cheaper)Cheaper would be man made. but the cheaper they are the worse they look (they have that council style if you know what I mean)cheapest you can get would be around £14/m2 (check out B&Q - and you can actually visit to inspect) if you want slightly better quality then we are looking at around £18-20/m2 for that you can look for cheap natural stone slabs which will look far much better even if it is the lowest quality ones.2. Laying on sand or concrete beddingConcrete bedding you can lay man made slabs on 40mm bed of sharp/grit sand alone. That would reduce the cost further. However you need to remember that minimum thickness for laying on sand is 30mm thick slab. Mortar bed would be any slab but you need to have a full bed not dot-blob malarkey. So if you ask your builder to use mortar bed make sure he does it correctly3. Size of the patioBuilder suggested 150 tiles of size 0.6x0.6 that includes extra for wear & tear. Based on that your patio size is around 50m2. That seems rather large given size of UK gardens4. ColoursBuff5. Uniform or variable size (that alone makes it a mess out of the topic)Uniform based on your previous answer you are looking at 60x60cm slabs, that reduces the choice a bit6. Laying yourself or will have a man tondonitBuilderread answer 2. If you want to save some money look at The Carpanters Daughter on Youtube 7. Riven or smoothTextured or any rough surface 8. Patio packs or individual slabs PacksSuggestions:https://simplypaving.com/paving/manufactured/bradstone-peak-paving-riven-buff-600-x-600-20-per-pack.htmlthis is sold everywhere. If you want to check how they look, go to B&Q Wickes or HomebaseMy general recommendations:https://simplypaving.com/value-range.htmhttps://www.pavingsuperstore.co.ukthese are 2 of the cheapest ones I know ofI would also suggest looking at local builders merchants and garden centresbut as you are getting towards £20/m2 mark it may be better to have natural stone for similar pricefor example https://cheshiresandstone.com/product/rajblendpatiopack/ this works out at £17.50 per m2 and looks so much betterthe only difference is the slab as laying method will be the sameAlso look at doing it yourself like me [Image] It's not perfect (and finished yet) but I have managed to save quite a few quid

That’s great information.. thanks a lot..

On the size, even I think he is asking a pot more if buffer.. it is actually a combination of:
48m pathway (48mx0.6m area)
8mx1.5m patio

There are some we found called utility slabs but clearly mentions good for utility & shed but not for decorative patio.. like this one:
wickes.co.uk/Mar…361

Are they any good for us?
dhanepud18 m ago

That’s great information.. thanks a lot.. On the size, even I think he is a …That’s great information.. thanks a lot.. On the size, even I think he is asking a pot more if buffer.. it is actually a combination of:48m pathway (48mx0.6m area)8mx1.5m patioThere are some we found called utility slabs but clearly mentions good for utility & shed but not for decorative patio.. like this one: https://www.wickes.co.uk/Marshalls-Richmond-Smooth-Buff-600-x-600-x-38mm-Utility-Paving/p/153361Are they any good for us?

in terms of area 29m2 for the path and 12m2 for the patio thats 41m2 even with 10% for waste its way under 50m2
I'd say patio is tiny, is it possible to make it bit deeper (1.5m does not give much of a usable area where many paths alone are 90cm wide).
The utility slabs will be fine for basic stuff
and most likely you dont need concrete base for that (not worth the extra cost given types of slabs used) provided the ground is fairly solid

Do you have a photo of the area you are working with?
Edited by: "mattsk" 29th Aug
mattsk3 h, 26 m ago

Finally I have all your answers so that you can guide correctly:1. Natural …Finally I have all your answers so that you can guide correctly:1. Natural stone Vs man made No preference (cheaper)Cheaper would be man made. but the cheaper they are the worse they look (they have that council style if you know what I mean)cheapest you can get would be around £14/m2 (check out B&Q - and you can actually visit to inspect) if you want slightly better quality then we are looking at around £18-20/m2 for that you can look for cheap natural stone slabs which will look far much better even if it is the lowest quality ones.2. Laying on sand or concrete beddingConcrete bedding you can lay man made slabs on 40mm bed of sharp/grit sand alone. That would reduce the cost further. However you need to remember that minimum thickness for laying on sand is 30mm thick slab. Mortar bed would be any slab but you need to have a full bed not dot-blob malarkey. So if you ask your builder to use mortar bed make sure he does it correctly3. Size of the patioBuilder suggested 150 tiles of size 0.6x0.6 that includes extra for wear & tear. Based on that your patio size is around 50m2. That seems rather large given size of UK gardens4. ColoursBuff5. Uniform or variable size (that alone makes it a mess out of the topic)Uniform based on your previous answer you are looking at 60x60cm slabs, that reduces the choice a bit6. Laying yourself or will have a man tondonitBuilderread answer 2. If you want to save some money look at The Carpanters Daughter on Youtube 7. Riven or smoothTextured or any rough surface 8. Patio packs or individual slabs PacksSuggestions:https://simplypaving.com/paving/manufactured/bradstone-peak-paving-riven-buff-600-x-600-20-per-pack.htmlthis is sold everywhere. If you want to check how they look, go to B&Q Wickes or HomebaseMy general recommendations:https://simplypaving.com/value-range.htmhttps://www.pavingsuperstore.co.ukthese are 2 of the cheapest ones I know ofI would also suggest looking at local builders merchants and garden centresbut as you are getting towards £20/m2 mark it may be better to have natural stone for similar pricefor example https://cheshiresandstone.com/product/rajblendpatiopack/ this works out at £17.50 per m2 and looks so much betterthe only difference is the slab as laying method will be the sameAlso look at doing it yourself like me [Image] It's not perfect (and finished yet) but I have managed to save quite a few quid

Looks like mine I did last year, looks lovely when new and wet, 12 months on its not quite as shiny.

34986959-hFUXO.jpg
paulj4810 m ago

Looks like mine I did last year, looks lovely when new and wet, 12 months …Looks like mine I did last year, looks lovely when new and wet, 12 months on its not quite as shiny.[Image]

Needs re-pointing already

This is why I always go for bigger joints. Doesnt look as nice but 15 years on and mine doesnt need any re-pointing at all.

34987105-2mVPI.jpg

34987105-ojCSn.jpg
paulj481 h, 36 m ago

Looks like mine I did last year, looks lovely when new and wet, 12 months …Looks like mine I did last year, looks lovely when new and wet, 12 months on its not quite as shiny.[Image]

thats well nice. although those crossess (+) in the middle are a bit distracting (I have 3 which could not be avoided without planning ;/ )

Where did you get yours from?
mattsk20 m ago

thats well nice. although those crossess (+) in the middle are a bit …thats well nice. although those crossess (+) in the middle are a bit distracting (I have 3 which could not be avoided without planning ;/ )Where did you get yours from?

Just from a local builders yard, paid about £300 for 10 metres. That wasn’t pointed on that last picture, this is the finished patio but still drying out.
34988489-vFPci.jpg
paulj4819 m ago

Just from a local builders yard, paid about £300 for 10 metres. That …Just from a local builders yard, paid about £300 for 10 metres. That wasn’t pointed on that last picture, this is the finished patio but still drying out.[Image]

what did you use to point it?
mattsk4 m ago

what did you use to point it?

Easy Joint Paving Grout, piece of p*ss to do. I'm no builder but quite chuffed with the finished results as I did it al myself.

azpects.co.uk/pro…spx
Edited by: "paulj48" 29th Aug
paulj4811 m ago

Easy Joint Paving Grout, piece of p*ss to do. I'm no builder but quite …Easy Joint Paving Grout, piece of p*ss to do. I'm no builder but quite chuffed with the finished results as I did it al myself.https://www.azpects.co.uk/products/easy-joint.aspx

Ive looked at easy joint and other but from reading people say it does not last, therefore could not justify 30quid per tub (where I probably would need 6 or more) just to point it. I checked GftK 810/850 epoxy stuff which will last for the lifetime but could not justify 90quid per tub lol
At the end decided to point it with red building sand and cement at 4:1

PS> in relation to colour fading did you use any sealants ?
mattsk6 m ago

Ive looked at easy joint and other but from reading people say it does not …Ive looked at easy joint and other but from reading people say it does not last, therefore could not justify 30quid per tub (where I probably would need 6 or more) just to point it. I checked GftK 810/850 epoxy stuff which will last for the lifetime but could not justify 90quid per tub lolAt the end decided to point it with red building sand and cement at 4:1PS> in relation to colour fading did you use any sealants ?

I used Wikes own brand sealant, 3 coats. When it rained it ‘bubbled’ the water so you could tell it was protecting it, it only lasted a few months and now the water just soaks in so I don’t rate it at all.

i had the opposite with the easy joint, only heard good things about it. I bought 2 tubs for 10 square metres with wide joints but it goes further than you think and I ended up taking a tub back. I didn’t want to risk staining the untreated stone by using a wet mortar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions