Pay as you go for a oap?

Found 5th Jul 2016
My mummy wants a phone, I've bought her a cheapo ttsims off amazon for a tenner because she dont want any of those touchscreen things and she wants gaps between the buttons, fairly large buttons and just calls and texts nothing too complicated.

She wants to use it for calls (house phones, people on tesco mobile, virgin and three) and as a emergency phone while abroad, the one I've got her can take two sims so she could buy a 2nd sim for international calls if she wants from whatever country or just make sure she has enough top up for a emergency otherwise.

But I am not sure what sim to get, I am ordering her a free 2g sim to be sent to her address I was going to get virgin but they seem awfully expensive if you dont buy any of their bundles.

She's just going to be buying top up from a shop, no internet stuff for her and she doesn't have a bank account just one of those cards for the post office to get her pension out.

So which pay as you go is best for cheap calls, no expiry, simple over the counter top up for 2g phones?
Community Updates
AskPAYG
19 Comments
Three is 3p a minute for calls, I'm not sure anyone can beat that. Giffgaff works out cheaper if you buy goodybags, but it's not very OAP friendly, though I have a 70 year using it with no problems. They would also need to be renewed, so Three is probably better.

I've put one OAP on White Mobile, she loves it because she can only get signal on Orange. She's only spent £50 on credit in 3 years. So it suits her well.

Not sure about expiry on any of them though.
Edited by: "MSK." 5th Jul 2016
Have a look at giffgaff, I don't use my phone often and I buy the £5 a month goody bag you can choose to have the goody bag automatically applied each month so you don't forget, have a look on the website for different goody bags available.
as said by moneysavingkitten 3 appears to be the cheapest, we are all on giffgaff and have an OAP on it as well, in the last 2 and a bit years they have only put on a bout £20 credit and giffgaff once sent me an email asking is she was ok as she hadn't made any call. good thing with giffgaff is that for 3 months you get free giffgaff to giffgaff calls so they can call us for free but even better if we call them we don't take the calls out of our monthly allowance. Also good for low users like younger kids but once they get to an age where they use the phone a lot a goodybag is the best bet.

it also allows you to add credit automatically once their credit goes down to less than £3
Edited by: "eslick" 5th Jul 2016
I'd have to go with 3 for payg sims. Credit should never expire so long as she makes a paid for call or text every few months.
321 is good as said but check coverage in your area.
eslick

as said by moneysavingkitten 3 appears to be the cheapest, we are all on … as said by moneysavingkitten 3 appears to be the cheapest, we are all on giffgaff and have an OAP on it as well, in the last 2 and a bit years they have only put on a bout £20 credit and giffgaff once sent me an email asking is she was ok as she hadn't made any call. good thing with giffgaff is that for 3 months you get free giffgaff to giffgaff calls so they can call us for free but even better if we call them we don't take the calls out of our monthly allowance. Also good for low users like younger kids but once they get to an age where they use the phone a lot a goodybag is the best bet.

Agree with this, just having airtime credit does go a really long way and the network to network calls are a real bonus if all the family is on it. Just doesn't work out quite as cheap as Three. 8p a minute off the top of my head I think?
The '3' 3-2-1 sim is hard to beat imo. 3p a min, 2p text, 1p per MB data, along with 'feel at home' where you can use your allowance abroad.

http://s31.postimg.org/b6l0fbspn/screenshot_1576.png
Does the phone you bought support 3G?
If not, all these people recommending the Three network need their heads checking!
It can't have three its a 2g phone, besides I'm on Three pay as you go and she wasnt keen, she doesn't understand any tech, refuses to use a computer and kept going on about tesco as her sister has it.

Can you top up a giffgaff or any of these other little companies in a shop with cash? As I said she only had a card for the post office to get her pension out, I dont know if that can be used like a bank card to pay for things in shops or not and she wont use internets. The ideal thing for her imo would be scratch card top ups or just being able to hand her phone number and a tenner to someone at a till. Thats what she did with her last phone which was my old sony from about 2005 but thats died, no idea what she did with the sim, I gave her a virgin one for that with the swipe card for topping up at shops.

Is giffgaff 2g anyway?
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 5th Jul 2016
jco83

Does the phone you bought support 3G?If not, all these people … Does the phone you bought support 3G?If not, all these people recommending the Three network need their heads checking!

Looks like you may be right, not sure which one he bought but some of those ttsims phone say "Unlocked Sim Free - Works on all networks apart from Three"
Error440

It can't have three its a 2g phone, besides I'm on Three pay as you go … It can't have three its a 2g phone, besides I'm on Three pay as you go and she wasnt keen, she doesn't understand any tech, refuses to use a computer and kept going on about tesco as her sister has it. Can you top up a giffgaff or any of these other little companies in a shop with cash? As I said she only had a card for the post office to get her pension out, I dont know if that can be used like a bank card to pay for things in shops or not and she wont use internets. The ideal thing for her imo would be scratch card top ups or just being able to hand her phone number and a tenner to someone at a till. Thats what she did with her last phone which was my old sony from about 2005 but thats died, no idea what she did with the sim, I gave her a virgin one for that with the swipe card for topping up at shops.Is giffgaff 2g anyway?

Three is the only network not to support 2G. Not sure about buying topups in shops, but I think you can just buy credit for the big network the smaller one runs on?
You could try Delight Mobile as they offer the same 321 rates running on EE
How about Tesco pay as you go?, they triple your credit and she'll get Clubcard points too. The extra credit has to be used within 30 days or it expires, or something like that. not sure if its the cheapest around, but potentially £30 a month of credit should maybe enough?
deleted79467
STRICKIBHOY

How about Tesco pay as you go?, they triple your credit and she'll get … How about Tesco pay as you go?, they triple your credit and she'll get Clubcard points too. The extra credit has to be used within 30 days or it expires, or something like that. not sure if its the cheapest around, but potentially £30 a month of credit should maybe enough?

plus her sister has tesco sim so it would be ideal

talkmobile.co.uk/ord…D=S

10p per call up to 60minutes and then after that it's 8p per minute. If she's used to using a landline she will probably find that very easy to use as the 60 minute thing has been around for decades with BT. Plus it means you don't have to retrain her about how much the calls will cost to then work it out as it's pretty self explanatory. 10p for an hour.

Can also top up in 100's of shop locations too.

Edited by: "Astec123" 5th Jul 2016
Thank you I will look at talkmobile, tesco (when the site decides to work properly) and delight.

I think I must have said a billion times to her three is cheapest, that was before I bought the phone didnt see any that met the requirements that did 3g, she's adamant about not having a touchscreen, she wants me to get her a phone for her birthday.

The cost of calls doesn't seem to be a issue she seems more bothered about ease of getting top ups but I'm not sure if she really understands any of it, she just throws her arms up at such thing and says I dont understand all that stuff and walks off, always been like that since we had a oric-1 computer in the 80s, what she is used to at home is a mobile on a contract that belongs to my father and does free calls to landlines after 7pm, they also have a BT hub attached to the BT line that takes calls but can't make any, somehow according to my father having a BT line for incoming calls and data plus a mobile contract for free calls to any landline after 7pm works out cheaper than having a bog standard BT line that can make and receive calls, (he's about 10 years older than her and has always had a pc, had mobile since the 90s and a digital camera sincethe 90s too).

I'm not sure she fully understands phone tariffs and when I tried to explain how much calls are from Three she glazed over. She just seem to want to something she can walk into a shop and top up with cash if she gets caught short of credit.
Error440

Thank you I will look at talkmobile, tesco (when the site decides to work … Thank you I will look at talkmobile, tesco (when the site decides to work properly) and delight.I think I must have said a billion times to her three is cheapest, that was before I bought the phone didnt see any that met the requirements that did 3g, she's adamant about not having a touchscreen, she wants me to get her a phone for her birthday. The cost of calls doesn't seem to be a issue she seems more bothered about ease of getting top ups but I'm not sure if she really understands any of it, she just throws her arms up at such thing and says I dont understand all that stuff and walks off, always been like that since we had a oric-1 computer in the 80s, what she is used to at home is a mobile on a contract that belongs to my father and does free calls to landlines after 7pm, they also have a BT hub attached to the BT line that takes calls but can't make any, somehow according to my father having a BT line for incoming calls and data plus a mobile contract for free calls to any landline after 7pm works out cheaper than having a bog standard BT line that can make and receive calls, (he's about 10 years older than her and has always had a pc, had mobile since the 90s and a digital camera sincethe 90s too).I'm not sure she fully understands phone tariffs and when I tried to explain how much calls are from Three she glazed over. She just seem to want to something she can walk into a shop and top up with cash if she gets caught short of credit.

I hate dealing with people like this where they just shut off because they don't want to learn how it works even if it's very simple. You come across people like this in my experience most often when it comes to IT support. I always wonder how these people were when they

- Learnt to drive
- Cook a new meal for the first time
- Have to fill in paperwork

Because it's all different and means you have to figure it out. Just seems that because it's technology it has to be treated differently.

Anyway, out of interest have you considered the option of getting a low cost sim only deal? You can get 100s of minutes for £5 these days. Might be a solution to being a lot less stressful. No messing about getting stuff set up etc and trying to get her to understand top ups and so on, just set up the sim and direct debit and forget about it. Obviously I appreciate that you said about how little use she has but at least this way means you can be assured if she doesn't use it for a period of time that the phone wont get disconnected etc.

moneysupermarket.com/mob…rd/

Another way I've heard about people using to avoid PAYG sims disconnecting for low usage OAPs is to set your phone to remind you based on locations and then you'll be reminded each visit to get her to call you. If you can't be bothered to explain the reasoning behind it you can easily lose your phone around their house when you visit every 3 or 4 months and ask Mum to make a call to help you find it.
Astec123

https://talkmobile.co.uk/order-payg-sim/?___SID=S10p per call up to … https://talkmobile.co.uk/order-payg-sim/?___SID=S10p per call up to 60minutes and then after that it's 8p per minute. If she's used to using a landline she will probably find that very easy to use as the 60 minute thing has been around for decades with BT. Plus it means you don't have to retrain her about how much the calls will cost to then work it out as it's pretty self explanatory. 10p for an hour. Can also top up in 100's of shop locations too.

Is that a new thing by talkmobile? First I've heard of it sounds really good
jco83

Is that a new thing by talkmobile? First I've heard of it sounds really … Is that a new thing by talkmobile? First I've heard of it sounds really good

No idea, been a Pay Monthly customer for not even 2 months and inadvertently ended up on the PAYG pages at some point when looking at the deal I took out. It could be 2 months old or one they've done for years for all I know. All I did note is that it seemed a very good deal for what it's worth. My guess being they have done the research and realised that most people make very short couple of minute calls and that they will likely make more money with a set price like that because people tend to remember how they seem to make lots of long chats but forget the odd quick 10 second call to remind someone about something before getting on with things.
Astec123

I hate dealing with people like this where they just shut off because … I hate dealing with people like this where they just shut off because they don't want to learn how it works even if it's very simple. You come across people like this in my experience most often when it comes to IT support. I always wonder how these people were when they- Learnt to drive- Cook a new meal for the first time- Have to fill in paperworkBecause it's all different and means you have to figure it out. Just seems that because it's technology it has to be treated differently. Anyway, out of interest have you considered the option of getting a low cost sim only deal? You can get 100s of minutes for £5 these days. Might be a solution to being a lot less stressful. No messing about getting stuff set up etc and trying to get her to understand top ups and so on, just set up the sim and direct debit and forget about it. Obviously I appreciate that you said about how little use she has but at least this way means you can be assured if she doesn't use it for a period of time that the phone wont get disconnected etc. http://www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile-phones/brands/sim-only/sim-card/Another way I've heard about people using to avoid PAYG sims disconnecting for low usage OAPs is to set your phone to remind you based on locations and then you'll be reminded each visit to get her to call you. If you can't be bothered to explain the reasoning behind it you can easily lose your phone around their house when you visit every 3 or 4 months and ask Mum to make a call to help you find it.

I have no idea how much she is planning to use the phone if at all, I think its just a case of using it to call something/someone when she's going to be late and carried with her on holiday just in case, although I'm not sure what she'd want to do with it on a holiday that she wouldn't be able to do from a hotel phone or one at a police station.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants