Pay as you go is gone!

Posted 16th Dec 2019
Hey there,
I have recently bought my daughter a mobile phone and need the cheapest deal possible. Old style PAYG seems to be almost gone - by which I mean the type you just put £10 on the phone and it lasts til it’s gone. Everyone needs to be on a recurring payment now.
Can anyone recommend a good PAYG offer / sim? Some data calls and text but nothing on recurring pay!
Thanks gang!
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
Don't think you can anymore it's all recurring stuff now
Have you tried Tesco or 3 both do pay as you go still , as I have dual sim phone myself with them both in .
Top up £10 on Three and buy an all-in-one 10 add on which gives 4gb data, unlimited calls and unlimited texts
I use three and 02, I just top up when needed. I don't use any add ons/ bolt ons, just the default top up.
Edited by: "NuttyS" 16th Dec 2019
If you call customer services they usually change it from recurring to 'simple' pay as you go.
3 3-2-1 is cheap and credit lasts forever as long as you make 1 call every 180 days.
Not sure why you are so anti PAYG, you can get decent SIM-only contracts for just a few quid a month on 30 day rolling contracts. Probably work out cheaper and you can cap it so you your daughter doesn't go over the limit you set.
Why not get her a sim only for like £5/£6 so she’s always got unlimited calls/texts and will get a few Gb of data. Payg credit will be gone in a day if she uses data at all it’s usually like £10-£20 per gb before any calls or texts
O2 still have payg. All you have to do is make one chargeable call every 6 mths
Got one from 3 about 5 months ago, ordered on line for free, it came the next day and can load it up £5 a time.
GiffGaff will let you PAYG but like others have said, it usually works out cheaper to pay for the cheapest 30 day rolling contract.
deleted1447778
You can still add just credit to a sim, even vodafone you can just buy a top up, my dad gets a big value bundle, sometimes they do it wrong and add it as credit only, this is after his bundle has expired
I think most require you to top up every 6 months for the number to be in use.
Pilsbury1216/12/2019 20:08

O2 still have payg. All you have to do is make one chargeable call every 6 …O2 still have payg. All you have to do is make one chargeable call every 6 mths

They've stopped any new purchases
Gollywood16/12/2019 21:11

They've stopped any new purchases

When did they stop it. I spoke to customer services about 2 mths ago and they set it up for my elderly friend who just needed a phone for emergencies.
Thanks guys and gals! Lots to read through there!
I think Asda mobile still do it too - I have an old number that I ported to them about a year ago, have only ever topped up once, and just send a text every month or so to keep it alive.
JoseChupachup16/12/2019 21:24

Thanks guys and gals! Lots to read through there!

Hi JoseChupachup. Without reading through, I don't know if anyone's suggested the free "Three Data Sim" - which you can top up with credit and it operates as a normal 3,2,1 sim but with the added bonus of 200mb free EVERY month. You can put as little as £2 International credit on there and it doesn't expire as long as you use the sim. Data counts as use, so fire up a browser or check Email every now and again and all is good.

three.co.uk/Fre…der

Hopefully you'll find this of interest.

Regards, Phsy.
Pilsbury1216/12/2019 21:23

When did they stop it. I spoke to customer services about 2 mths ago and …When did they stop it. I spoke to customer services about 2 mths ago and they set it up for my elderly friend who just needed a phone for emergencies.

Recently
Giffgaff, you can auto top up when the balance drops below a level you set, bu not mandatory and you can set the maximum number of top ups within a month (i.e. if you went to your limit in some sort of emergency type situation)
EE PAYG.
Download the app top up £5 then buy a pack (£5) last 30 days. 100 minutes 250 texts and a small amount of data. Perfect for children and no contract.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions