Payday today and I was overppaid. What does one do in this situation (jokes aside)?

Edited by:"superspeedy"Found 30th Nov 2017
I have just started a new position in October and had my first months pay at the end of Oct which was correct as per what I should be getting. I then check this months and have been given almost £423 extra in my monthly net salary. The gross pay remains as it was previous month but really a mistake on the tax i paid (less tax).

I'm not 100% sure if its an issue or if it is correct as i was not working for 4 months prior to me getting this job and my tax code also changed from 1150M1 to 1150L from first to second pay, so i don't know if its just adjusted salary for the time i was out of work.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments

tje197816 m ago

Hope your not a comedian

.........and 'your' not an English teacher!
Edited by: "Van1973" 30th Nov 2017
8 Comments

Its a tax refund that has happened automatically when the tax code changed from month 1.

I think you've answered your own question - it will be because of your period out of work - the tax due is calculated on the basis of the 12 months April - March, hence this lower level of tax this month will be to get you correct on an annual basis (rather than just the month).

If you have R next to tax amount it means you got a refund
Edited by: "mattsk" 30th Nov 2017

If you’re in Christmas spirit I can send you my bank details. Every little helps

1150M1 is a temporary tax code. It should be a correct adjustment but you’ve underpaid tax as a result you won’t have to repay in a big chunk, Hmrc will deduct over a period of time.

I hope your new position isn't in the accounts or payroll dept

rogparki2 h, 0 m ago

I hope your new position isn't in the accounts or payroll dept

Hope your not a comedian

tje197816 m ago

Hope your not a comedian

.........and 'your' not an English teacher!
Edited by: "Van1973" 30th Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions