Groups

Paying Bank Transfer for a car on Ebay (Free delivery)

My scam alert is going off, we are looking for a car and there is a registered business on ebay who sells cars, but he delivers the car.... he wont send it until he has cleared payment... from bank transfer

Is this a total risk on my behalf?

here is the seller, what do we think?

feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/…e=2

Top comments

Don't do it. Don't do it. Don't do it.

Even if he IS actually selling cars, he's advertising them illegally.

First listing is for a Vauxhall Astra "2015 Astra Excite 1.6 CDti ecoflex 32k miles £0 to tax FREE DELIVERY". Did a quick check on the reg (I have access to search so I didn't waste £3!) and it's showing as a Cat C.

So they're write-offs.

Edit: if you want me to check (e.g. save you a trip if you're going to see it), let me know which one it is and I'll check it.
    Edited by: "bma1445" 14th Jul

So you are buying it blind? Thats a big no no in its self.
    31 Comments

Original Poster

a3lawy

Yeah, we reached that decision,I phoned him back and he gave me all the promises you would expect.... I offered to pay for it the second it arrived but he would not budge... he then offered to send me pic of log book etc, but I just dont feel comfortable

Don't do it. I know someone who nearly got caught out. Seller had fake escrow account with seemingly all the right paperwork, with luck he phoned the escrow company just before he made payment and found out it was a scam. Never make payment before you get the vehicle. Think about it!

Is your profile location accurate? as if so your not really that far away, you could go see the car and paperwork in person.

Obvious scam, just look at how many high value cars they sold before

Agree with all the other comments. All the cars this guy is selling are too cheap. If a deal looks too good to be true then it probably is. I've also reported to e bay as well, maybe some other users should as well so we can get this user removed

Original Poster

athunder

Is your profile location accurate? as if so your not really that far … Is your profile location accurate? as if so your not really that far away, you could go see the car and paperwork in person.

just called him and said I want to come and see it as I am close.... he said I have to call back tomorrow

Aeschylus

just called him and said I want to come and see it as I am close.... he … just called him and said I want to come and see it as I am close.... he said I have to call back tomorrow

well that tells you everything. anyone genuine would be like more than happy to arrange it and not a call back tomorrow message.

Even if he IS actually selling cars, he's advertising them illegally.

First listing is for a Vauxhall Astra "2015 Astra Excite 1.6 CDti ecoflex 32k miles £0 to tax FREE DELIVERY". Did a quick check on the reg (I have access to search so I didn't waste £3!) and it's showing as a Cat C.

So they're write-offs.

Edit: if you want me to check (e.g. save you a trip if you're going to see it), let me know which one it is and I'll check it.
    Edited by: "bma1445" 14th Jul

Original Poster

bma1445

Even if he IS actually selling cars, he's advertising them … Even if he IS actually selling cars, he's advertising them illegally.First listing is for a Vauxhall Astra "2015 Astra Excite 1.6 CDti ecoflex 32k miles £0 to tax FREE DELIVERY". Did a quick check on the reg (I have access to search so I didn't waste £3!) and it's showing as a Cat C.So they're write-offs.Edit: if you want me to check (e.g. save you a trip if you're going to see it), let me know which one it is and I'll check it.

Will PM you, I aksed him if they had been write offs, he denied it... thanks for you help

Aeschylus

Will PM you, I aksed him if they had been write offs, he denied it... … Will PM you, I aksed him if they had been write offs, he denied it... thanks for you help

http://i.imgur.com/X1VoWHM.png

That explains why that 2017 Insignia is listed £3,000 less than webuyanycar would offer straight cash (which is itself already lower than market price). It's a scam. Avoid, move on.

Aeschylus

Will PM you, I aksed him if they had been write offs, he denied it... … Will PM you, I aksed him if they had been write offs, he denied it... thanks for you help

No problem at all, replied with the result (as expected tbh).

rhinopaul

A few years ago I sold a car "blind" & had the money in my bank account before the new owner had seen it:

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…863 ]

Original Poster

bma1445

No problem at all, replied with the result (as expected tbh).

thank you once again.... shows the importance of doing due diligence, I owe you a virtual pint :0

Original Poster

I just texted him to say he was busted....

Je just replied and said it makes it clear all his cars are write offs.... this was the car I was interested in, can you see where it says it is a write off.... I also asked him out right on phone if it was a write off, he said no

ebay.co.uk/itm…344

It's worth buying from a proper dealer these days as your be covered by the Consumer Rights Act which includes the "early right to reject" up to 30 days, in other words if there is something wrong you can get a full refund by law within the 30 day period.
    Edited by: "4Real2016" 14th Jul

Walk away.

Or run.

Either/or.

Report to eBay. Will more victim from being scamemd

Correct me if I'm wrong but its also advisable to pay for cars using a credit card (if you can) from a dealer, even if its just the deposit the card company is liable for the full amount should something happen.

Avoid fam

Just had a look at the seller and some of the cars he's listed. Its obvious most of them have hit something hard and have been shoddily repaired as most of them have bonnet shut line issues and panel gaps that you could park a bus in He's basically praying on peoples naivety and his too good to be true prices.

SCAM !!!
    Zero CARS sold in last 6 months....spelling mistakes in adverts....MOBILE PHONE but claims to be high seller of cars (0 in 6 months)....probably highjacked eBay account...happens all the time...NEVER reply to a MOBILE NUMBER, Western Union / Bank / Cash transfer.
    ALARM BELLS - AVOID !!!

Don't worry they are "STILL UNDER WARRENTEE" lol X)

Avoid like the plague

fanpages

A few years ago I sold a car "blind" & had the money in my bank account … A few years ago I sold a car "blind" & had the money in my bank account before the new owner had seen it:[ http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/ebay-buy-now-a-car-1277201?p=15135863 ]

Whats wrong with these people. So he meets you with the Bankers Draft , still hasnt seen the car( only photos) and only after you've been to the bank together you then take him to the car. WTF.
    The other bizarre car sales I've seen are here in France. You look at a used car online but in the shop, order it, pay for it without seeing it. It then turns up 10 days later and you have 14 days to drive it and if you dont like it you can cancel and take it back but I dread to think what the cancellation fees would be.

rhinopaul

fanpages

A few years ago I sold a car "blind" & had the money in my bank account … A few years ago I sold a car "blind" & had the money in my bank account before the new owner had seen it:[ http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/ebay-buy-now-a-car-1277201?p=15135863 ]

rhinopaul

Whats wrong with these people. So he meets you with the Bankers Draft , … Whats wrong with these people. So he meets you with the Bankers Draft , still hasnt seen the car( only photos) and only after you've been to the bank together you then take him to the car. WTF.

He really wanted my car

rhinopaul

The other bizarre car sales I've seen are here in France. You look at a … The other bizarre car sales I've seen are here in France. You look at a used car online but in the shop, order it, pay for it without seeing it. It then turns up 10 days later and you have 14 days to drive it and if you dont like it you can cancel and take it back but I dread to think what the cancellation fees would be.

That happens in the UK too; I have seen Ford & Renault offer similar pre-owned sales with vehicles that need to be sourced nationwide for delivery to a local forecourt.

Panel gaps are all over the place, some of the panels are a different shades, I checked 2 cars and both of them are write offs...Avoid!

How about, you find a car transporter to collect it for you. You can ask the transporter to check the car on your behalf, if you are happy then transfer the money to the seller? If the price is good does it matter if it is a Cat C or not?

oqey1 h, 31 m ago

How about, you find a car transporter to collect it for you. You can ask …How about, you find a car transporter to collect it for you. You can ask the transporter to check the car on your behalf, if you are happy then transfer the money to the seller? If the price is good does it matter if it is a Cat C or not?

Whats going on with this site and old threads being resurrected. This has been long resolved, it was a clear scam.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2121
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 3977
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1414
      4. Win a Free minion usb stick22

See more discussions