Paying before getting the product

Posted 10th Jul
Hello guys. I need your advice again please.
I was looking to get back to the Apple ecosystem and buy an iPhone. I found a guy on eBay (which is also selling on other platforms as well) who's selling some phones, including an iPhone X which I was looking to buy. According to his product description, he can't accept payments on eBay/PayPal and the buyer needs to pay when collecting the item or paying by bank transfer and he will get the item delivered.
I've never bought something this way before and I feel a bit unsecured. I've got in touch with him by phone and he said that he will give an invoice and 30 days returns, plus DPD tracking details.
The iPhone is new, sealed. My concern is..has anyone bought something this way before? Am I covered in any way?
And also for example.. even if the iPhone is sealed, can he mark the iPhone as lost and block it after 30 days? Hope you know what I mean.

Many thanks for your time guys!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Sounds dodgy to me
ANG9410/07/2020 16:05

Idk to be honest.. the guy is on eBay from 2006 and he's feedback is 100%. …Idk to be honest.. the guy is on eBay from 2006 and he's feedback is 100%. I'm also surprised that eBay allowed his listings cause he got quite few for different phones, not just this one.

2006 and 100% you can buy ebay profiles... sounds dodgy to me.
i would only ever buy anything from eBay by using Paypal.

Is the price too good to be true by any chance?

I would leave this well alone and go elsewhere.
Do not send him money outside of eBay. Especially bank transfer and delivery. If you go outside of eBay you lose their buyers protection! If you do wanna buy it, meet him in person, check out the phone, make sure everything is working and the serial number checks out with Apple then pay cash. But remember, if anything goes wrong he is under no obligation to fix anything for you. You are taking a risk that the product you see in front of you is genuine and will hold up. If you read any of the eBay help pages they will say the same thing. Make sure you don’t get yourself scammed.
19 Comments
Sounds dodgy to me
Maybe it's a way of him avoiding paying fees to ebay for selling on their platform
Edited by: "stu1991" 10th Jul
stu199110/07/2020 16:02

Maybe it's a way of him avoiding paying fees to ebay for selling on their …Maybe it's a way of him avoiding paying fees to ebay for selling on their platform

Idk to be honest.. the guy is on eBay from 2006 and he's feedback is 100%. I'm also surprised that eBay allowed his listings cause he got quite few for different phones, not just this one.

Idk to be honest.. the guy is on eBay from 2006 and he's feedback is 100%. …Idk to be honest.. the guy is on eBay from 2006 and he's feedback is 100%. I'm also surprised that eBay allowed his listings cause he got quite few for different phones, not just this one.

2006 and 100% you can buy ebay profiles... sounds dodgy to me.
i would only ever buy anything from eBay by using Paypal.

Is the price too good to be true by any chance?

I would leave this well alone and go elsewhere.
Stick with PayPal
Do not send him money outside of eBay. Especially bank transfer and delivery. If you go outside of eBay you lose their buyers protection! If you do wanna buy it, meet him in person, check out the phone, make sure everything is working and the serial number checks out with Apple then pay cash. But remember, if anything goes wrong he is under no obligation to fix anything for you. You are taking a risk that the product you see in front of you is genuine and will hold up. If you read any of the eBay help pages they will say the same thing. Make sure you don’t get yourself scammed.
No, you’re not covered and he can screw you over. I definitely would not go through with this. You’re literally handing over cash, without knowing the seller.
The original owner of a phone can always report it lost/stolen at any point and the network will blacklist it. You would have no come back.
The Ebay acc might go back to 2006, but that doesn't mean the guy using it now hasn't hacked a dormant acc...
Noooo! Maybe ask him if he will accept paypal if you pay the fee? Or collect, but there is no way you are covered
DON'T DO IT! Are you sure you can't get what you want elsewhere (albeit a higher price)?
Or save up for a while until you can afford it?
Doesn't sound too dodgy, more likely he is just trying to avoid PayPal fees and the risk of eBay buyer protection.

If transacting in this way, you will not be covered under PayPal or eBay protection. However, this also means the seller is not charged any fees, which means they can sell for a lower price.

If a high value item, I would not recommend buying for delivery with bank transfer. However, collection in person could work out well. Just make sure to proceed with an abundance of caution, as phones sold can be later reported as stolen, then blacklisted (possible insurance scam or maybe going to stop paying phone contract).

This is a risk vs reward scenario. If the price is too good to be true it probably is. My rule of thumb is not to purchase anything that costs more than I'd be willing to lose via bank transfer.
Ebay want buyers to report sellers who offer to complete outside eBay, this is definitely shady and I would be letting eBay know.
Don't do it
Avoid, nothing to stop him saying phone is stolen then you have a brick

...he said that he will give an invoice and 30 days returns, plus DPD …...he said that he will give an invoice and 30 days returns, plus DPD tracking details.

I'll give you an invoice, 30 day return and DPD tracking. How much are you going to send to me?
Overnight it looks like the seller’s account (1066ruby) has been pulled by ebay. Enough said.
No wonder so many people get scammed. I can't believe anyone in 2020 still falls for this kind of stuff
Toptrumpet11/07/2020 11:40

Overnight it looks like the seller’s account (1066ruby) has been pulled by …Overnight it looks like the seller’s account (1066ruby) has been pulled by ebay. Enough said.

Lol. That user is unrestrictedly active (peony052230) indicated by the redirection stated at top of archive.is/g3qPy and "recently updated" ebay icon.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants