Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Paying for car by BACS

Posted 14th Mar 2019
We are buying a used car from the dealership currie motors. We are paying for the car in full before we collect it and as we are cash buyers, we have been told to pay by BACS before we collect the car. I paid a small deposit by credit card.

It is a lot of money, nearly 20k, so I am feeling a bit nervous about BACS for a large amount before collecting the car.

I am assuming as they are a big dealer, it will be fine? I plan to double checkthe company’s bank details before I make the BACS payment to make sure the salesman hasn’t given me his personal account number
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
mutley114/03/2019 22:57

i pay large amounts by BACS quite often. i bank with natwest, and their …i pay large amounts by BACS quite often. i bank with natwest, and their daily limit is 20k if you do it online, the 10k is by phone. hubby banks with first direct and they have no limit as long as you have enough money to cover it in your account.i will try to push for the debit card as i hadn't really thought about it, but paying by BACS before turning up and seeing the car, could present all sorts of issues if things go wrong and we need to sue the dealer to get the money back.

Good for you, as you do it quite often surely you'd know better than us? Or is this a post to brag?
mutley11 h, 32 m ago

hey, by the way, who is this billy you keep referring to???

I feel another ask question coming on ...
I love reading the OP threads, Every day theres a new one.
You can't beat a bit of bully.
mutley115/03/2019 13:55

hey, by the way, who is this billy you keep referring to??? :/

It's probably either Billy Elliot or Billy Liar. Both are appropriate so you choose the one you like best.
43 Comments
deleted1471098
They should give you a quote with the payment details on it with headed paper.
Will they not accept a debit card payment on handover day?
GlasgowEd3 m ago

Will they not accept a debit card payment on handover day?

They need cleared money before car is handed over. I could pay by debit card on the day, but it may not go through. When I asked, he said he need BACS, which didn’t worry me at the time. I could ask again about the debit card payment, but there is always the possibility that such a large payment on a debit cardwill be blocked by the banking system on the day.
Notify your bank that you intend to make this transaction. A debit card payment should go through straight away.
GlasgowEd14/03/2019 22:08

Notify your bank that you intend to make this transaction. A debit card …Notify your bank that you intend to make this transaction. A debit card payment should go through straight away.

I have made debit card payment of 50k before and it can sometimes be blocked even though I speak to my bank first. I will ask the guy as hubby could also bring his debit card so we have two cards to use, if one fails.
I paid for mine last year by debit card about £15K . I did ring the bank first but they didn't seem bothered . Just said it would be fine as long as I had cleared funds in my account . It was fine .
I suppose nothing is guaranteed, but from personal experience we have not had any problems with customers paying large amounts by debit card when collecting their cars.
deleted90213914/03/2019 22:14

I paid for mine last year by debit card about £15K . I did ring the bank …I paid for mine last year by debit card about £15K . I did ring the bank first but they didn't seem bothered . Just said it would be fine as long as I had cleared funds in my account . It was fine .

When we bought our previous car, hubby paid by debit card, so I will push for this. Thanks. This way, we actually see the car before we make the final payment, as it could be trashed before we turn up to collect it
mutley13 m ago

When we bought our previous car, hubby paid by debit card, so I will push …When we bought our previous car, hubby paid by debit card, so I will push for this. Thanks. This way, we actually see the car before we make the final payment, as it could be trashed before we turn up to collect it

I'm sure most cars that are bought for cash these days are by debit card (after paying the deposit via credit card) . It will be instant whereas a BACS could take longer (even electronically ) depending on who you bank with . I'm sure the dealer and the bank will be fine with it.
You could always do online bank transfer a small amount say a pound and check they have received it then do online transfer on the day it's usually instantly done but will depend who your banking with NatWest have 10k daily limit so that wouldn't work. I think Barclays is 20 or 25k if that's who you are with I did this too pay solicitors as didnt want waste fees on CHAPS transfer.
Are you sure it's a motor and not a Vindaloo? If so I'm sure they'll take card payment just fine
Edited by: ".MUFC." 14th Mar 2019
MynameisM14/03/2019 22:34

You could always do online bank transfer a small amount say a pound and …You could always do online bank transfer a small amount say a pound and check they have received it then do online transfer on the day it's usually instantly done but will depend who your banking with NatWest have 10k daily limit so that wouldn't work. I think Barclays is 20 or 25k if that's who you are with I did this too pay solicitors as didnt want waste fees on CHAPS transfer.

i pay large amounts by BACS quite often. i bank with natwest, and their daily limit is 20k if you do it online, the 10k is by phone. hubby banks with first direct and they have no limit as long as you have enough money to cover it in your account.

i will try to push for the debit card as i hadn't really thought about it, but paying by BACS before turning up and seeing the car, could present all sorts of issues if things go wrong and we need to sue the dealer to get the money back.
mutley19 m ago

i pay large amounts by BACS quite often. i bank with natwest, and their …i pay large amounts by BACS quite often. i bank with natwest, and their daily limit is 20k if you do it online, the 10k is by phone. hubby banks with first direct and they have no limit as long as you have enough money to cover it in your account.i will try to push for the debit card as i hadn't really thought about it, but paying by BACS before turning up and seeing the car, could present all sorts of issues if things go wrong and we need to sue the dealer to get the money back.

Ok right apologize my mistake.
If you're worried about payments going astray, send a small test payment first and ask for confirmation of receipt, before sending the balance in a second payment.

Good for you, as you do it quite often surely you'd know better than us? Or is this a post to brag?
Illusionary33 m ago

If you're worried about payments going astray, send a small test payment …If you're worried about payments going astray, send a small test payment first and ask for confirmation of receipt, before sending the balance in a second payment.

Very good suggestion.
This is the normal way to do business now. I recently was told by a dealer that cash was not acceptable. Basically we are all drug dealers and pimps unless proven otherwise!
I used to be nervous about the BACS system, but just triple check your account numbers that are being used, put your head between your legs and think of England! (other countries are available)
Paid 25k on debit car for my last car from a dealer, they should also have card facility.
Edited by: "samosa" 15th Mar 2019
deleted1080215
I paid for a car by BACS, with no problem. I then, a few weeks later, bought a caravan and paid by BACS. That payment was blocked, I had to phone the bank and answer a few security questions. Payment was cleared and instant. I think it is not only certain value transfers that trigger the security checks and account activity (I had 2 large amounts within a couple of weeks, after a period of low activity) but also random checks. BACS should be fine. If it gets held up at the bank it will only take a two minute phone call to sort it out.
The reason some car dealerships don't want you to pay by card is because of the fees they have to pay and because of chargeback and section 75. If you pay by BACS you lose the protection those offer you.
Zooicidal15/03/2019 06:54

The reason some car dealerships don't want you to pay by card is because …The reason some car dealerships don't want you to pay by card is because of the fees they have to pay and because of chargeback and section 75. If you pay by BACS you lose the protection those offer you.

On a debit card, you sure about that
Edited by: "snoopy18" 15th Mar 2019
Pay £1 and confirm by speaking to them directly that they have the £1..Then you know its all good and correct details setup in your account.. This should be common practice as advised by every money adviser and bank yet time and again people don't do this... Just want to say again.. You need to confirm safe receipt of £1 verbally. Then your good to go and that it's safe to transfer the dosh
Edited by: "wayners" 15th Mar 2019
snoopy1815/03/2019 07:30

On a debit card, you sure about that

Yep. You're more likely to get your money back with a credit card as section 75 is law but still possible with debit card's chargeback. Either way it's still possible headaches the dealers would rather avoid.
I love reading the OP threads, Every day theres a new one.
You can't beat a bit of bully.
rogan179114/03/2019 23:47

Good for you, as you do it quite often surely you'd know better than us? …Good for you, as you do it quite often surely you'd know better than us? Or is this a post to brag?

this post is not about making BACS in general, it is whether it is safe to do so to a motor dealer, all be it that they are a big dealer. whether people use BACS payment when they buy their car.
mutley115/03/2019 10:15

this post is not about making BACS in general, it is whether it is safe to …this post is not about making BACS in general, it is whether it is safe to do so to a motor dealer, all be it that they are a big dealer. whether people use BACS payment when they buy their car.

Ask your bank, rather than random people on the internet. What happens if it goes wrong?? Are you going to tell your bank that you listened to some random on the internet rather than actually contact the bank and ask?
rogan179115/03/2019 10:17

Ask your bank, rather than random people on the internet. What happens if …Ask your bank, rather than random people on the internet. What happens if it goes wrong?? Are you going to tell your bank that you listened to some random on the internet rather than actually contact the bank and ask?

people may be random on here, but that don't mean they are stupid. there are members on here who have a lot of experience of stuff which i may not have come across, and they are more likely to have bought cars before and paid in full than one telephone operator on the bank help line that happens to answer the phone!

a lot of members on here are a lot wiser than i am so i would like their advice. simple as that. don't know why you think buying a 20k second hand car is bragging. if i was bragging, i would say i bought a brand new luxury car for 60k.
Edited by: "mutley1" 15th Mar 2019
Thanks for the useful inputs guys. As you have stated that you paid with a debit card when you bought your car, i have decided to do this to be on the safe side and the dealership is happy with this

it helps to ask hukd
mutley115/03/2019 10:23

people may be random on here, but that don't mean they are stupid. there …people may be random on here, but that don't mean they are stupid. there are members on here who have a lot of experience of stuff which i may not have come across, and they are more likely to have bought cars before and paid in full than one telephone operator on the bank help line that happens to answer the phone!a lot of members on here are a lot wiser than i am so i would like their advice. simple as that. don't know why you think buying a 20k second hand car is bragging. if i was bragging, i would say i bought a brand new luxury car for 60k.

Never said they where stupid, are you insinuating they are?

I'm just laughing at your phone call with the bank if it went wrong (which I hope it doesn't) and your argument was "But I asked people on the internet"
rogan179115/03/2019 10:31

Never said they where stupid, are you insinuating they are?I'm just …Never said they where stupid, are you insinuating they are?I'm just laughing at your phone call with the bank if it went wrong (which I hope it doesn't) and your argument was "But I asked people on the internet"

it is not safe to make BACS payments unless you trust the recipient. i have made enough BACS payments to know this.

so the question is whether a large car dealership can be trusted. you are missing the point of my question. i don't buy cars regularly so i do not know if this is a standard way of making payments to the dealer before you pick up your car.
mutley13 m ago

it is not safe to make BACS payments unless you trust the recipient. i …it is not safe to make BACS payments unless you trust the recipient. i have made enough BACS payments to know this. so the question is whether a large car dealership can be trusted. you are missing the point of my question. i don't buy cars regularly so i do not know if this is a standard way of making payments to the dealer before you pick up your car.

Ah, my bad forgot it's just houses you buy regularly

If you had a better account at natwest you wouldn't have a 20k restriction.
A maximum of £50,000.00 per day for premier customers
fearona17 m ago

If you had a better account at natwest you wouldn't have a 20k …If you had a better account at natwest you wouldn't have a 20k restriction.A maximum of £50,000.00 per day for premier customers

i am a premier customer. 50k is for debit card transactions. 20k is for online BACS transfers.
Is there a limit on BACS transfers?
The limit for payments via Online Banking per working day is :

Edited by: "fearona" 15th Mar 2019
fearona3 m ago

The limit for payments via Online Banking per working day is :Personal …The limit for payments via Online Banking per working day is :Personal customers - £20,000.00Premier customers - £50,000.00Business customers - £50,000.00

i found that on google but they restrict my account to 20k. unless that is newly introduced. i will give them a call and ask as it always annoyed me that i can only make 20k payments when i want to move money out quickly into a savings account and it takes a while to do.
Probably your credit rating
fearona21 m ago

Probably your credit rating

hey, even though you are annoying, you have helped me this is why it is always good to post on ask as comments can end up helping!

i called my bank and they said that this is a new limit, introduced in december so i am good to go, cool
limit is still 20k on the app so 50k is online only.
Edited by: "mutley1" 15th Mar 2019
Your welcome billy.
fearona15/03/2019 13:47

Your welcome billy.

hey, by the way, who is this billy you keep referring to??? :/
We bought a car from official main dealer, we paid deposit as waiting for car to arrive but remainer will be paid by Bacs and needs to be cleared before picking the car up.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants