Groups

Paying for dentists

Got a dentist check up tomorrow, I guarantee they'll find something that needs fixing with my teeth, but I'm really skint until payday next week.

In the past they ask for treatment payment before the treatment, can I just pay for the check up if I ask?

25 Comments

Pay by cheque? Will take a few days to clear?!

Just take the amount for the check up and pay that. they cannot actually ask you for the full amount as you don't know if you want more than a checkup.

Banned

just tick the benefits box same as on prescriptions and get it free

Banned

casparwhite

what NHS dentist does all your treatment free? oO

Banned

lumoruk

what NHS dentist does all your treatment free? oO

every single 1 for people on benefits.......

mine only charges for the checkup on the day, if you need anything else doing you rebook and pay then - minus the cost of the checkup

just bite the lady who ask to pay now

Banned

casparwhite

every single 1 for people on benefits.......

oh misread that, yeah damn my wife gets free treatment at the moment grrr

They'll probably only do the check up tomorrow, the dentist won't have time to do anything else.
    If you need work done they'll ask you to make another appointment to come back later.

So tomorrow, you'll only have to pay for the check up.

Original Poster

Yes sorry, the dentists I go to just do the check up then book you in for the actual treatment, but in the past they've advised that the 'policy' is I should pay in advance for the treatments so just wanted to check I could offer to pay at a later time just this once

casparwhite

It's all right for you being on benefits and claiming everything. There are those who have to pay in full for treatment and prescriptions.

Banned

shibi din

It's all right for you being on benefits and claiming everything. There … It's all right for you being on benefits and claiming everything. There are those who have to pay in full for treatment and prescriptions.

lol sorry what was it that you know bout me again........

nah didnt think you did .....

i dont even reside in "your" country lmao

And now I'm in

shibi din

It's all right for you being on benefits and claiming everything. There … It's all right for you being on benefits and claiming everything. There are those who have to pay in full for treatment and prescriptions.

like me.but if i got my hands on benefits then i will do the same,enough tax paid

johncas

Yes sorry, the dentists I go to just do the check up then book you in for … Yes sorry, the dentists I go to just do the check up then book you in for the actual treatment, but in the past they've advised that the 'policy' is I should pay in advance for the treatments so just wanted to check I could offer to pay at a later time just this once

Mine asks for payment ahead of treatment (not just check-up though) but that means you pay on the day of the treatment, when you book in before the treatment is carried out.

Just rearrange the appointment until next week.

I went in December and needed a filling which cost £45 and £12 for the xray. I had to pay before treatment.

My dentist usually gets the treatment done there and then, but you could always forget your wallet... promise to come back another day, or ask them to put it on your account for next time. Or offer to post a cheque in? OR delay the appointment for a week or two until you've got some money. Any excuse to delay a dental appointment is a good excuse in my book. I simply hate going!

Original Poster

...Or let them find nothing wrong with my teeth apart from a small filling which is covered under the normal checkup charge

Makes a change let me tell you!

Rhianne

Just rearrange the appointment until next week. I went in December and … Just rearrange the appointment until next week. I went in December and needed a filling which cost £45 and £12 for the xray. I had to pay before treatment.

I'm sure they shouldn't charge extra for an xray. I understood there were only three prices they can charge and that price includes all treatment, including x-rays etc. Price bands are approximately £15, £45 and £200

nhs.uk/chq…742
    Edited by: "stewby" 21st Jan 2011

NHS dental charges

The three NHS charge bands are as follows:

* Band 1: £16.50. This charge includes an examination, diagnosis and preventive advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, scale and polish and planning for further treatment.
    * Band 2: £45.60. This charge includes all the necessary treatment covered by the £16.50 charge, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment or extractions.
    * Band 3: £198. This charge includes all the necessary treatment that is covered by the £16.50 and £45.60 charges, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.

stewby

I'm sure they shouldn't charge extra for an xray. I understood there were … I'm sure they shouldn't charge extra for an xray. I understood there were only three prices they can charge and that price includes all treatment, including x-rays etc. Price bands are approximately £15, £45 and £200http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1781.aspx?categoryid=74&subcategoryid=742

What are the chances of me getting my £12s back as I've paid out for 2 xrays that I can recall.

I don't have to pay for check ups either as I'm under 25 so the most I should have ever paid at one time is £45.60?

Banned

If you have a checkup that is £16.50 if you have an xray at the same time that is another £16.50.

or they've also been robbing me
    Edited by: "lumoruk" 21st Jan 2011

Rhianne

What are the chances of me getting my £12s back as I've paid out for 2 … What are the chances of me getting my £12s back as I've paid out for 2 xrays that I can recall.I don't have to pay for check ups either as I'm under 25 so the most I should have ever paid at one time is £45.60?

Why dont you have to pay for check ups? I am 23 but I pay for check ups

You get it free if you are 18 or younger, or 19 and in full time education.

lumoruk

If you have a checkup that is £16.50 if you have an xray at the same time … If you have a checkup that is £16.50 if you have an xray at the same time that is another £16.50.or they've also been robbing me

They've been robbing you.

FrootCake

Yep, if they have been charging you twice I would ask for a refund or … Yep, if they have been charging you twice I would ask for a refund or report them. NHS guidelines are quite clear, they can only charge once per course of treatment and depending on what course of treatment it is it will fall into one ofvthe three price bands. Only things that can be charged extra are hygienists etc as this is done as a private patient. I only know all this as I have spent a long time with dentists recently as recovering from broken jaw.They've been robbing you.

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Pet lifetime insurance advice needed11
      2. Sold item on eBay from UK - buyer from USA55
      3. How to get laptop to boot from DVD/CD drive?59
      4. Speccing a gaming pc415

See more discussions