Expired

Paying for whatsapp for android

Found 16th Mar 2013
I got a message from my friend that their whatsapp on their android phone has expired and they need to pay.

I took a look at my whatsapp installed on my android device and I have the following:

Service expiration = lifetime

So I checked my wife's whatsapp on her galaxy s2 and she has the same thing. I then checked my brothers whatsapp and he has an expiration date and will have to pay soon.

I previously had and iPhone and so did the wife whereas my brother has always had android.

So the question is, is there any way to get the lifetime status on my brothers whatsapp or will he have to pay?
Community Updates
AskMobilesAndroidWhatsApp
44 Comments
It's obvious, get an iPhone and use the same number to use Whatsapp on the iPhone.
CouldntThinkOfAUsername

It's obvious, get an iPhone and use the same number to use Whatsapp on … It's obvious, get an iPhone and use the same number to use Whatsapp on the iPhone.

I don't have an iPhone but I have an ipad, is there anyway to install whatsapp on an ipad?
I thought I had lifetime subscription but have recently been charged. Pretty sure it wasa 65p for the year or something
I use it and havent needed to pay a penny... yet
It was originally a paid app on iPhone for lifetime.

I bought it on that ages ago. Then converted and it still is lifetime for me on droid.

Its always been free on android. So they introduced the yearly thing. You can pay for 5 at a discount if he updates it.
Get Viber.

Yeah gf had whatsapp on droid and it was free. I tried to download it on iphone and they charged. So got viber instead
Get a grip. Its 65p for an app most use everyday.

Essentially removing the need for standard text messages.

It is more than worth the purchase.

Someone I know was going on in the same way a few weeks ago. I slapped reality into him.

Just pay for it or spend hundreds more and get an iphone. Your choice.
gmdlogan

Get Viber. Yeah gf had whatsapp on droid and it was free. I tried to … Get Viber. Yeah gf had whatsapp on droid and it was free. I tried to download it on iphone and they charged. So got viber instead

I quite liked viber, none of my friends used it though so it made it useless!
It's 65p a year I think. But I've read quite a few people in forums say that they didn't pay and they still let them use it anyway.
Yeah 65p yearly is nothing compared to how much i use the app. I barely use my sms allowance
sancho1983

I quite liked viber, none of my friends used it though so it made it … I quite liked viber, none of my friends used it though so it made it useless!

All my friends and family are on it. Its perfect. My little un has an Xperia and a Virgin monthly sim with unlimited data. So he calls me on that all time so he never goes over his minutes.
It was free for life on Android, but they then changed it to free for the first year and 65p per year after the first year.
TheShadowWalker

It's 65p a year I think. But I've read quite a few people in forums say … It's 65p a year I think. But I've read quite a few people in forums say that they didn't pay and they still let them use it anyway.

My wife's subscription ran out and it wouldn't let her use it
All very well saying pay for it but I'm using a phone I bought directly from China and there's no way I'm inputting credit card details on it. I will be flashing my phone back to factory settings and putting a other sim card to re-install Whatapp.; -)
I read through the thread and I seen opinions and no facts.

Anyone with an actual factual based answer?
gmdlogan

All my friends and family are on it. Its perfect. My little un has an … All my friends and family are on it. Its perfect. My little un has an Xperia and a Virgin monthly sim with unlimited data. So he calls me on that all time so he never goes over his minutes.

I just installed viber and its not too bad. Doesn't look as nice as whatsapp but its free. I only talk to a select few so we can all migrate over.

gmdlogan, just out of interest what contract with unlimited data are you referring to? My 3 contract is nearly up so im looking for something with unlimited data
ceanth

I just installed viber and its not too bad. Doesn't look as nice as … I just installed viber and its not too bad. Doesn't look as nice as whatsapp but its free. I only talk to a select few so we can all migrate over.gmdlogan, just out of interest what contract with unlimited data are you referring to? My 3 contract is nearly up so im looking for something with unlimited data

Virgin mate. I got it for my son for xmas. £12 gets you 150mins (not many obviously), unlimited texts and unlimited data. And with the data there are no fair usage policies. So you get truly unlimited data and tethering is allowed. The next one up is £17 with 1200mins though.
My mate had the same problem. Just wait a few days and it'll start working again
MicroBanned

My mate had the same problem. Just wait a few days and it'll start … My mate had the same problem. Just wait a few days and it'll start working again

Does it simply go away if you don't pay?
gmdlogan

Virgin mate. I got it for my son for xmas. £12 gets you 150mins (not many … Virgin mate. I got it for my son for xmas. £12 gets you 150mins (not many obviously), unlimited texts and unlimited data. And with the data there are no fair usage policies. So you get truly unlimited data and tethering is allowed. The next one up is £17 with 1200mins though.

ceanth

Does it simply go away if you don't pay?

..yes happened to me and I got 28 days after a few days following expiration , have still got about 17 days of that left.
Is it a glitch in WhatsApp where if you ignore the message telling you that you need to renew your subscription, nothing happens and you can continue using it for free?
sancho1983

My wife's subscription ran out and it wouldn't let her use it

Well, I've read in quite a few forums months ago. You just have to let it be for awhile and after a few times they'll still let you use it. Or there are non-legit ways, which I won't discuss (google is your friend). But seriously, support the amazing devs, at 65p per year it won't exactly break the bank.

There is a better alternative to whatsapp, it's called wechat (has a lot more features but not as many people use it). Viber's great for voip calling imho (clearer quality than skype app).

TheShadowWalker

Well, I've read in quite a few forums months ago. You just have to let it … Well, I've read in quite a few forums months ago. You just have to let it be for awhile and after a few times they'll still let you use it. Or there are non-legit ways, which I won't discuss (google is your friend). But seriously, support the amazing devs, at 65p per year it won't exactly break the bank.There is a better alternative to whatsapp, it's called wechat (has a lot more features but not as many people use it). Viber's great for voip calling imho (clearer quality than skype app).

Not better then, these things rely on everybody having them.

What extra features does it have? I can send text, videos and pictures to people using Whatsapp for free. what else do I need it to do?
gmdlogan

I just installed viber and its not too bad. Doesn't look as nice as … I just installed viber and its not too bad. Doesn't look as nice as whatsapp but its free. I only talk to a select few so we can all migrate over.gmdlogan, just out of interest what contract with unlimited data are you referring to? My 3 contract is nearly up so im looking for something with unlimited data

Virgin mate. I got it for my son for xmas. £12 gets you 150mins (not many obviously), unlimited texts and unlimited data. And with the data there are no fair usage policies. So you get truly unlimited data and tethering is allowed. The next one up is £17 with 1200mins though.

For customers who joined Virgin Media after 25 June 2012, excessive use over 3.5GB of data per calendar month will result in their maximum bandwidth being restricted to 3G speeds (384kbit/s) on our network between midday and midnight.

jadrules

Virgin mate. I got it for my son for xmas. £12 gets you 150mins (not many … Virgin mate. I got it for my son for xmas. £12 gets you 150mins (not many obviously), unlimited texts and unlimited data. And with the data there are no fair usage policies. So you get truly unlimited data and tethering is allowed. The next one up is £17 with 1200mins though.For customers who joined Virgin Media after 25 June 2012, excessive use over 3.5GB of data per calendar month will result in their maximum bandwidth being restricted to 3G speeds (384kbit/s) on our network between midday and midnight.

Bit of a bummer i suppose. But no intention of getting shut of young un's contract which stillallows tethering. Oh well. It was too good a deal anyhoo.
I just paid 65pence for a year, when ive been using it any way for years anyway, whats 65pence?
I bet more money is wasted on things we dont need.............
I deleted my WhatsApp since they were bought by facebook
Whatsapp is easily worth 65p a year but they do annoy me.
I feel like they've done naff all in the last 3 years to improve the service, they've really rested on their laurels.
They need to extend it to non-phones too e.g. iPads and tablets.
They need to launch a desktop version (like viber)
They need to allow voip calls (like viber) (which I hear they are doing at some time in the future)

And most frustratingly, they need to download the message at the time that you receive it.
I can't stand the current system - you get a notification of a message and a preview, but you have to go into the app to download the message. Sometimes you might not check your phone until you don't have signal, and you can't read the message in full even though you had signal at the time it was received!!!
MR1123

I deleted my WhatsApp since they were bought by facebook

Which bunch of doughnuts voted me down and why?
How are you ment to pay for your whatsapp in the UK because when I go put ny card details in to pay for whatsapp it keeps saying I have to havea US billing address any help would be great guys thanks in advance
williamsmyth1990

How are you ment to pay for your whatsapp in the UK because when I go put … How are you ment to pay for your whatsapp in the UK because when I go put ny card details in to pay for whatsapp it keeps saying I have to havea US billing address any help would be great guys thanks in advance

if you reset your phone then it resets the app, i've done this a few times ;p
I've been paying for WhatsApp for a free years now.
Okay guys read this.........

Mine expired 5 months ago. I uninstalled it 2-3 times then it gives you a month free!! So keep doing that 2 times Un and install you will get it automatically. It still will say it's expired at beginning but the only way to find if you did get it is by sending some one a message
A friend paid for me on my whatapp account three days ago and received a message that payment has been successful but I don't receive any but rather they keep asking for my payment. I will like to know why? I used android phone so also my friend.
try "telegram" (https://telegram.org/) its a free service for life, its has better features then whatsapp for instance not limited to length of video, size of images etc you can send. I found it when my whatsapp demanded I pay.
Wats app

I just got this message about 20 minutes ago telling me it had expired so I was looking for answers on here. Then another message just popped up saying service extended until April 2017. Apparently if you wait it goes away! Only took 20 mins for me though, not a few days!
If you bought the app on iPhone pre 2013 you have a lifetime license. If you bought it after 2013, whatsapp changed their license policy and introduced a yearly license. Also if you changed mobile number you lose your license. You can transfer it, but only if old and new phone are still working. You can transfer your license from the old to the new in the app itself.
ceanth

You're all migrating to a new platform to save 65p each?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants