Paying my utility bills by credit card instore at natwest - DENIED??? And TOLD TO WITHDRAW CASH VIA CREDIT CARD!!!!!

Found 16th Jul 2012
Went to westfield in stratford to the natwest branch inside and wanted to pay my gas and electric bill with my credit card?
So i inserted my credit card into the card reader and was rejected she said how was i paying and i told her by credit card.
She answered back saying i should withdraw the amount via the cash machine.
I was like WHAT!?!????? YOU WANT ME TO WITHDRAW ON A CREDIT CARD AND GET CHARGED????

Honestly who the hell teaches these dumb cashiers.

I asked her why cant i pay by credit card she can only reply saying its how the system works here and only can pay via debit card.
Honestly i was soooo bamboozled by her request of her asking to withdraw cash via credit card i forgot my **** debit card PIN.

Anyway i just want to know Are you not allowed to pay bills via credit card in a branch? Or did i just get served by a dumb girl?

58 Comments

So i inserted my credit card into the card reader and was rejected she … So i inserted my credit card into the card reader and was rejected she said ...................

I hate to ask, but where the hell did you swipe the card? I dread to think!

I work in the cooperative supermarket and we can't take credit card to pay for bills... Due to a large amount of credit card fraud (i.e. Canceling the card or saying it's lost after paying for a bill) maybe not what happened to you but just saying invade they also stopped using credit cards to pay bills... =)

I think the cashier was just trying to offer you an alternate method of payment because the bank's system prohibited the use of credit cards.

Your claim that she was "dumb" has little foundation, may well be completely unjustified, & is certainly rude.

Perhaps you can ask (other) bank staff for clarification next time you visit the branch.

don't know, don't pay bills

Im not with Nat west. But just checked on my gas bill and it says can pay it by CC online or by telephone. Dont know why the bank took the viewpoint they did but why not just phone up and pay

Orcinus_orca

don't know, don't pay bills

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/fox2020plus/tumblr-a-study-in-graphics.gif

Okay she is dumb but who is dumber

Original Poster

Himzzyy

I work in the cooperative supermarket and we can't take credit card to … I work in the cooperative supermarket and we can't take credit card to pay for bills... Due to a large amount of credit card fraud (i.e. Canceling the card or saying it's lost after paying for a bill) maybe not what happened to you but just saying invade they also stopped using credit cards to pay bills... =)

Thank you for your insight.

fanpages

Perhaps you can ask (other) bank staff for clarification next time you … Perhaps you can ask (other) bank staff for clarification next time you visit the branch.

Wrong advice, the lady should have given accurate information at first. Why should the customer go bank again seeking information which should have correctly been given at the first place. The back should work better in training their staff before placing them in a customer facing position.

And yes, she was dumb to ask the customer to withdraw cash and saying 'this is how the system works here'. It could be the fact that Natwest want to avoid the 1.5% or 2% CC transaction charges and consequently do not accept CCs.

For the question of CC fraud, I don't see the difference between paying a bill or making a purchase using a CC.
Edited by: "kaku_lala" 16th Jul 2012

fanpages

Perhaps you can ask (other) bank staff for clarification next time you … Perhaps you can ask (other) bank staff for clarification next time you visit the branch.

kaku_lala

Wrong advice, the lady should have given accurate information at first. … Wrong advice, the lady should have given accurate information at first. Why should the customer go back again seeking information which should have correctly been given. The back should work better in training their staff before placing them in a customer facing position.

My point was that a customer with a grievance should ask in the branch where the problem occurred, not wait for hours & then post a query on a "Shopping Forum" to people who have no idea about what that cashier was thinking.
Edited by: "fanpages" 16th Jul 2012

Instead of asking someone at the branch, I suggest OP to file a complaint with Natwest (wrong advice given by staff) and request the bank to write to him, and if not satisfied with the resolution take it to the ombudsman. The folks at the branch usually are skilled at turning away customers which do no generate them a commission and increase their cross selling targets. Most advice given by staff will be contradictory and inconsistent.

As it's not the cashier's thoughts which OP should be concerned with, it's the words.

The cashier was not dumb and did not give the wrong advice.. in the branch credit cards can only be used by doing a cash advance which the customer will be charged interest for. It is quicker to get the money out of the cash machine than have the cashier do the advance manually, as ID needs to be taken and recorded, then a phone call is needed to receive authorisation. The cashier was only trying to save the customer time obviously.

Paying utility bills on credit....

That is why this country is like the way it is..

Broken Britain, funded by debt...

Chiptivo

Paying utility bills on credit....That is why this country is like the … Paying utility bills on credit....That is why this country is like the way it is..Broken Britain, funded by debt...

Lots of assumptions from nothing.

If we are not supposed to ever use Credit Cards they should not issue them

kaku_lala

Instead of asking someone at the branch, I suggest OP to file a complaint … Instead of asking someone at the branch, I suggest OP to file a complaint with Natwest (wrong advice given by staff) and request the bank to write to him, and if not satisfied with the resolution take it to the ombudsman. The folks at the branch usually are skilled at turning away customers which do no generate them a commission and increase their cross selling targets. Most advice given by staff will be contradictory and inconsistent.As it's not the cashier's thoughts which OP should be concerned with, it's the words.

Given the recent (&, in some cases, ongoing) issues for NatWest/The Royal Bank of Scotland customers, I would expect the cashiers are being careful with their choice of words when customer-facing at present.

I am sensing that you have an unresolved issue with NatWest. Would that be a fair assumption?

Original Poster

raulvibes

Okay she is dumb but who is dumber

Im going to go to the branch next to my workplace where they are mature and have been working there for years and not like the newly appointed girl who dont know what a recession is.

As in regards to who is dumber - perhaps my credit card being declined could be 'down to the olympics' maybe oO

hotukdeals.com/mis…076

Edited by: "FreebieJeebie" 16th Jul 2012

only if it is that banks credit card, so you cant go into natwest and use a Barclay credit card

FreebieJeebie

Im going to go to the branch next to my workplace where they are mature … Im going to go to the branch next to my workplace where they are mature and have been working there for years and not like the newly appointed girl who dont know what a recession is.As in regards to who is dumber - perhaps my credit card being declined could be 'down to the olympics' maybe oOhttp://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/paypal-froze-account-1263076

and they will tell you the same thing as the first cashier. If you want to pay with the credit card just ring the utility company and pay it that way?

Original Poster

dizzyllama

The cashier was not dumb and did not give the wrong advice.. in the … The cashier was not dumb and did not give the wrong advice.. in the branch credit cards can only be used by doing a cash advance which the customer will be charged interest for. It is quicker to get the money out of the cash machine than have the cashier do the advance manually, as ID needs to be taken and recorded, then a phone call is needed to receive authorisation. The cashier was only trying to save the customer time obviously.

She did not give the wrong advice? quicker to deal with cash? Rather than manually, check ID, taken recorded, and THEN a phonecall when im at a natwest bank already. I WISH THEY GAVE ME THAT TIME!!!!!!
Honestly it sounds as if i walked into a natwest bank with a coutts card.
Edited by: "FreebieJeebie" 16th Jul 2012

No, she did not give you the wrong advice, she was correct in that in order to pay by credit card in the branch you would need to withdraw cash from the credit card. in the time it takes to ring for authorisation you couldve been outside, got the cash from the machine , paid the bill and gone on your way.

Original Poster

She gave me wrong advice by stating to withdraw cash but never mentioning a charge?!?!
Also i dont care which way would have been quicker or easier but I aint paying bulldung charges just to save her picking up the reciever and pushing some buttons. And also im very scepticle of theory.

FreebieJeebie

She gave me wrong advice by stating to withdraw cash but never mentioning … She gave me wrong advice by stating to withdraw cash but never mentioning a charge?!?! Also i dont care which way would have been quicker or easier but I aint paying bulldung charges just to save her picking up the reciever and pushing some buttons. And also im very scepticle of theory.

Why would she tell you about a charge for withdrawing money, from a cashpoint with your credit card?

My point was that the charge would be the same whether you went to the machine or had the cashier do the advance for you. There is no other way to use a credit card to pay for something through the branch. Fair enough she shouldve mentioned the interest.

Personally, if a customer asks to withdraw cash on a credit card I always recommend only to do so as a last resort as there's no point paying interest if you have the money in your current account and could pay it that way. If you cant use your debit card, just ring the company and pay direct, at least then it is classed as a purchase and not an advance.

fanpages

Given the recent (&, in some cases, ongoing) issues for NatWest/The Royal … Given the recent (&, in some cases, ongoing) issues for NatWest/The Royal Bank of Scotland customers, I would expect the cashiers are being careful with their choice of words when customer-facing at present.I am sensing that you have an unresolved issue with NatWest. Would that be a fair assumption?

I am sensing that you work for NatWest. Would that be an unfair assumption?
Edited by: "kaku_lala" 16th Jul 2012

Chiptivo

Paying utility bills on credit....That is why this country is like the … Paying utility bills on credit....That is why this country is like the way it is..Broken Britain, funded by debt...

For gods sake get off your high horse man, not everybody in this country with a credit card uses it to live beyond their means. Some use it to build credit history, some for cashback, and some for stoozing. Are you saying the OP is deliberately going into debt to pay their bill because they are living beyond their means? Quite an assumption IMO, bit rude.

Banned

Those card machines at bank desks are for internal transactions only. Never thought you could pay a bill using a credit card on one. Does the Post Office allow this?

Why don't you save yourself from leaving your council flat and just ring them or has BT cut you off?

fanpages

Given the recent (&, in some cases, ongoing) issues for NatWest/The … Given the recent (&, in some cases, ongoing) issues for NatWest/The Royal Bank of Scotland customers, I would expect the cashiers are being careful with their choice of words when customer-facing at present.I am sensing that you have an unresolved issue with NatWest. Would that be a fair assumption?/quote][quote=kaku_lala]I am sensing that you work for NatWest. Would that be an unfair assumption?

I am assuming you are avoiding my query. I will (with)draw my own conclusions.

lumoruk

Those card machines at bank desks are for internal transactions only. … Those card machines at bank desks are for internal transactions only. Never thought you could pay a bill using a credit card on one. Does the Post Office allow this?Why don't you save yourself from leaving your council flat and just ring them or has BT cut you off?

Debit cards; yes.

Kaku- you come across like a bitter "bank" hating sun reader. You do realise that the cashier would most likely have been on about 12k a year and spends her whole dealing with idiots!

Advising this guy to make and official complaint and then go to the ombudsman is the most idiotic idea I have seen on here in a while. The cashier was only trying to help the customer pay his bill.

People who monitor every word poorly paid cashiers say are the reason that banks are no longer a helpful place to go and why, as fanpages said, they have to watch everyword they say. Cashiers don't "sell" anything they just process transactions so you wouldn't get far with the ombudsman they would just laugh at you and write back a pretty stern letter.

Banned

kaku_lala

Wrong advice, the lady should have given accurate information at first. … Wrong advice, the lady should have given accurate information at first. Why should the customer go bank again seeking information which should have correctly been given at the first place. The back should work better in training their staff before placing them in a customer facing position.And yes, she was dumb to ask the customer to withdraw cash and saying 'this is how the system works here'. It could be the fact that Natwest want to avoid the 1.5% or 2% CC transaction charges and consequently do not accept CCs.For the question of CC fraud, I don't see the difference between paying a bill or making a purchase using a CC.

Natwest dont incur any transaction charges! The recipient gets the charge.

Honestly who the hell thinks utility firms should accept credit card payments thus increasing their costs and subsequently bills for those sensible enough to pay by DD.

Banned

gbspurs

Kaku- you come across like a bitter "bank" hating sun reader. You do … Kaku- you come across like a bitter "bank" hating sun reader. You do realise that the cashier would most likely have been on about 12k a year and spends her whole dealing with idiots! Advising this guy to make and official complaint and then go to the ombudsman is the most idiotic idea I have seen on here in a while. The cashier was only trying to help the customer pay his bill.People who monitor every word poorly paid cashiers say are the reason that banks are no longer a helpful place to go and why, as fanpages said, they have to watch everyword they say. Cashiers don't "sell" anything they just process transactions so you wouldn't get far with the ombudsman they would just laugh at you and write back a pretty stern letter.

+1

Banned

FreebieJeebie

She gave me wrong advice by stating to withdraw cash but never mentioning … She gave me wrong advice by stating to withdraw cash but never mentioning a charge?!?! Also i dont care which way would have been quicker or easier but I aint paying bulldung charges just to save her picking up the reciever and pushing some buttons. And also im very scepticle of theory.

Its not a cashier's responsibility to understand other peoples credit card charges. Its yours. Just admit you're in the wrong and move on!

Jeez!

fanpages

I think the cashier was just trying to offer you an alternate method of … I think the cashier was just trying to offer you an alternate method of payment because the bank's system prohibited the use of credit cards.Your claim that she was "dumb" has little foundation, may well be completely unjustified, & is certainly rude.Perhaps you can ask (other) bank staff for clarification next time you visit the branch.

and what about the cashiers that wouldn't give cash to people during their 'little' mishap and the head of customer relations given an absolute grilling about it by Radio 4, and said the cashiers were wrong and should have given customers the ability to withdraw emergency funds...........................so yes dumb is right
Edited by: "Alfonse" 17th Jul 2012

csiman

Its not a cashier's responsibility to understand other peoples credit … Its not a cashier's responsibility to understand other peoples credit card charges. Its yours. Just admit you're in the wrong and move on!Jeez!

.... And that's the end of that chapter

http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/images/9/9d/036.jpg

fanpages

I think the cashier was just trying to offer you an alternate method of … I think the cashier was just trying to offer you an alternate method of payment because the bank's system prohibited the use of credit cards.Your claim that she was "dumb" has little foundation, may well be completely unjustified, & is certainly rude.Perhaps you can ask (other) bank staff for clarification next time you visit the branch.

Alfonse

and what about the cashiers that wouldn't give cash to people during … and what about the cashiers that wouldn't give cash to people during their 'little' mishap and the head of customer relations given an absolute grilling about it by Radio 4, and said the cashiers were wrong and should have given customers the ability to withdraw emergency funds...........................so yes dumb is right

As you know the name of the cashier being discussed in this thread, you will obviously be able to confirm if she was one of those referred to during the Radio 4 interview (that I have not heard so I am not able to comment upon).

fanpages

Alfonse

and what about the cashiers that wouldn't give cash to people during … and what about the cashiers that wouldn't give cash to people during their 'little' mishap and the head of customer relations given an absolute grilling about it by Radio 4, and said the cashiers were wrong and should have given customers the ability to withdraw emergency funds...........................so yes dumb is right

bbc.co.uk/pro…lc8

bbc.co.uk/pro…ljc

done

point is RBS, NatWest and Ulster have communication and training issues, telling customers to call them on 0845 numbers during the glitch issues............ha

So I wouldn't be defending this bank at all

fanpages

Alfonse

fanpages

As you know the name of the cashier being discussed in this thread, you … As you know the name of the cashier being discussed in this thread, you will obviously be able to confirm if she was one of those referred to during the Radio 4 interview (that I have not heard so I am not able to comment upon).

Alfonse

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01k9lc8#synopsishttp://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01k1ljc#synopsisdone

No mention of individual/named cashiers causing concern.

fanpages

Alfonse

fanpages

As you know the name of the cashier being discussed in this thread, you … As you know the name of the cashier being discussed in this thread, you will obviously be able to confirm if she was one of those referred to during the Radio 4 interview (that I have not heard so I am not able to comment upon).

Alfonse

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01k9lc8#synopsishttp://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01k1ljc#synopsisdone

lol, that's your argument, lame. great failure there

I am also confused, at how you managed to listen to 2 half hour programmes in less than 20mins.........

As soon as we were given authority to give customers emergency cash, we did so. The people that get on their high horses about not being allowed money were the ones who couldnt be bothered to get themselves down to a branch and ask and just jumped on the media bandwagon and sat complaining at home on social networking sites. Thats all people seem to do nowadays
Post a comment
@
    Text