Paying people's bills?

Posted 17th Feb
Hi, I have always paid for my mum's TV and telephone as she doesn't have the internet and all the best deals are always on the web
Always been with either Virgin or Sky and never had a problem but now Virgin say that I am not allowed to pay these bills unless I live there. They said that it was fraud for me to pay her bills
My mum is in a flat and I have never lived there.
Was the CA just being silly or is that the law nowadays.,
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
Terminiology of fraud possibly confused with money laundering, where likely either applicable phrase is a requirement to adhere to whatever legislation may apply. Requirement to respect ML should be met if paying electonically or by other traceable means. "Cash over counter" may cause issues for some providers.
"Fraud" would only apply if the payee is personally claiming some discount/benefit that only the accountholder is entitled to by payment exclusively & directly by that accountholder, and that would seem an unlikely occurence.
Just call them while you are with your mother and get her to give permission for you to talk to them. Alternatively set up an online account and pay them that way
Always did it for my mum no problems
I think the issue lies within the fact that you now have a credit trail at that address. If you check your credit report it might show that.
MadeDixonsCry17/02/2020 13:01

I think the issue lies within the fact that you now have a credit trail at …I think the issue lies within the fact that you now have a credit trail at that address. If you check your credit report it might show that.

My credit report has never shown this trail... and I have been paying the bills for years.
Is the bill in your name or yours mother’s, not that it should make any difference. Just ring ask them the issue and if need be change name on account, you can set direct debit to come out of any account, so you can carry on paying for your mother..
Set it up so you are your mothers appointee that way you can do things in her behalf by law and they can’t stop you
If it’s going to be a big problem, is it possible for you to use a card of your mothers instead? If you want you can then just transfer the amount monthly back to her. (Or set up a SO)
I think you night have to set up power of attourny
Call them back and say you are your mam, they are not allowed to doubt you as long as you pass all security questions because obviously people nowadays can be lbgt etc
It's nonsense, ignore it.
who's CA?
If you are signing up online can't you just use all your mums details? Name, Address, Direct Debit etc..

I see no reason why you can't set it up for her like this. Or take your laptop/phone round and set it up with her there.
SoCal17/02/2020 15:43

Customer Advisor

thought it was the benefit people or something. i think their problem is that when you sign up to a contract with virgin media or sky for example, they have to do a credit check on you and so if you don't live there but claim you do so on the contract application then you are committing fraud.

they sell services to occupant of a property so if that person defaults they can get hold of that person. as they don't actually know where you live, even you claim to live at your mum's on the application, they have no one to get hold of in the even of a default.

you should set up the account in your mum's name but then you can still pay her bills for her. it is the fact that it is in your name that they object to.
Edited by: "mutley1" 17th Feb
mutley117/02/2020 15:52

thought it was the benefit people or something. i think their problem is …thought it was the benefit people or something. i think their problem is that when you sign up to a contract with virgin media or sky for example, they have to do a credit check on you and so if you don't live there but claim you do so on the contract application then you are committing fraud.they sell services to occupant of a property so if that person defaults they can get hold of that person. as they don't actually know where you live, even you claim to live at your mum's on the application, they have no one to get hold of in the even of a default.you should set up the account in your mum's name but then you can still pay her bills for her. it is the fact that it is in your name that they object to.

I told them that I do not live there and i fully responsible for the bills.. That's all it came up when they wanted to do a credit check but they hadn't asked where I live.. It's never been an issue before as I have been paying her bills for over 15 years..Plus it's all done on e-mail nowadays and we don't get any bills or communications sent out in the post.
SoCal17/02/2020 16:51

I told them that I do not live there and i fully responsible for the …I told them that I do not live there and i fully responsible for the bills.. That's all it came up when they wanted to do a credit check but they hadn't asked where I live.. It's never been an issue before as I have been paying her bills for over 15 years..Plus it's all done on e-mail nowadays and we don't get any bills or communications sent out in the post.

they may have tightened up their security. you will have to set up an account in your mum's name as it is her home and she is the account holder. unless she has bad credit, this should be simple enough to do online.

you will probably have to set up the direct debit from her bank then you can change this later once the account has been set up and a payment has been taken from her bank, if you want the payments to come out of your bank instead.
Whoever told you that is talking bull.
mutley117/02/2020 15:52

...i think their problem is that when you sign up to a contract with …...i think their problem is that when you sign up to a contract with virgin media or sky for example, they have to do a credit check on you...

Sky broadband and/or landline phone contracts specifically do not involve a credit check; there is only an ID check and that is performed by a small debit from either a debit or credit card. Just sayin'.
AndyRoyd17/02/2020 18:42

Sky broadband and/or landline phone contracts specifically do not involve …Sky broadband and/or landline phone contracts specifically do not involve a credit check; there is only an ID check and that is performed by a small debit from either a debit or credit card. Just sayin'.

sky tv does credit check i think as the monthly amount is quite big. the article below seems to indicate so does the broadband

broadbandchoices.co.uk/bro…and
Thanks for all the advice and support. Decided to stay with sky for another 18 months.. mum is happy enough as she still have thousands of shows saved in the skybox (that she will never watch).
it was a very strange day..
mutley117/02/2020 18:57

sky tv does credit check i think as the monthly amount is quite big. the …sky tv does credit check i think as the monthly amount is quite big. the article below seems to indicate so does the broadbandhttps://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/broadband/bad-credit-broadband

No recent knowledge of Sky TV application credit check or not, but considering periodic Sky TV monthly payments are made upfront there seems little non-payment risk that Sky would otherwise be exposed to, except maybe installation which it habitually discounts as a joining incentive, or PPV. Consider that when the applicant consents to the previously mentioned debit/credit card ID check the applicant also specifically authorises Sky to use that card as backup funding if the primary payment method (DD?) fails. If Sky TV credit checks in addition to having access to two funding sources I would imagine the regulator may show an interest, or maybe not if the regulator doesn't view an unnecessary credit check as not being in the consumer interest.
Conversely, it may be appropriate to credit check landline contracts when calls are invoiced after use of the service, but certainly Sky Talk did not request credit check permission when recently assisting elderly relative move an existing ll service to Sky Talk.
AndyRoyd17/02/2020 22:31

No recent knowledge of Sky TV application credit check or not, but …No recent knowledge of Sky TV application credit check or not, but considering periodic Sky TV monthly payments are made upfront there seems little non-payment risk that Sky would otherwise be exposed to, except maybe installation which it habitually discounts as a joining incentive, or PPV. Consider that when the applicant consents to the previously mentioned debit/credit card ID check the applicant also specifically authorises Sky to use that card as backup funding if the primary payment method (DD?) fails. If Sky TV credit checks in addition to having access to two funding sources I would imagine the regulator may show an interest, or maybe not if the regulator doesn't view an unnecessary credit check as not being in the consumer interest.Conversely, it may be appropriate to credit check landline contracts when calls are invoiced after use of the service, but certainly Sky Talk did not request credit check permission when recently assisting elderly relative move an existing ll service to Sky Talk.

we have sky tv and i can't remember being asked for a credit or debit card to confirm ID. we had set up a direct debit payment so they don't have a card for default of the direct debit. i think we had to pay an upfront amount for the box of £69 and that must have been done by credit card but i can't recollect doing that. however that would not allow sky to use the credit card for any future default as that was not the agreement.

even though the monthly payment is in advance, it would take sky a while to recover the money and the sky q boxes are expensive equipment which sky would have to recover. the customer could also rack up a high bill by watching sky box office. as far as i am aware, sky does credit checks as i remember a credit check page appearing during the application process but i may have mixed it up with something else that i had applied for!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants