Expired

Paying Toll Penalty for Mersey Gateway Bridge, which Traffic Tribunal ruled unlawful

Found 19th Jul
A family member received a penalty charge notice from Halton Council for crossing the new Mersey Gateway Bridge on 2 July 2018 without knowing that it is tolled - there is no toll booth and monitoring was done electronically. AFAIK the signage that it is a toll road was unclear, particularly since the family member is not local to the area and was unaware it is tolled. The toll charge was £2 and now the letter is asking for £22 in total of which £20 is penalty, only if paid within 14 days, otherwise the standard charge is £40 and pass 28 days it'd be £60.

I found a BBC article dated 13 July 2018 that in April, the Traffic Penalty Tribunal has ruled the toll charge 'illegal' as Halton Council had not specified the fee correctly. The July article explained that Halton Council has refused to issue refund to people that paid the fine before the ruling. And since as the article was only written last week I think they have not successfully contested the TPT ruling so the charge remains illegal.

July article:

bbc.co.uk/new…441

April article:

bbc.co.uk/new…113

Since the charge is only £22, we are almost tempted to pay the fine to save the time and headache appealing. However, since the fine was ruled unlawful, it feels very wrong to pay an unlawful fine to condone this kind of dishonest behaviour. And since Halton Council declined a refund to people that were previously illegally fined, if we pay first and appeal the charge later I doubt we can get the money back.
Community Updates
MiscPhoto & Video
Top comments
oh right. you say you consider the signage unclear...?

34421371-X9Z9E.jpg
Edited by: "davewave" 19th Jul
19 Comments
oh right. you say you consider the signage unclear...?

34421371-X9Z9E.jpg
Edited by: "davewave" 19th Jul
davewave12 m ago

oh right. you say you consider the signage unclear...?[Image]

You might have Photoshopped that.

OP: 'Since the charge is only £22, we are almost tempted to pay the fine to save the time and headache appealing.'

Nail on head. Depends what price you put on your sanity.
Edited by: "deeky" 19th Jul
davewave55 m ago

Sorry, I mean since there is no toll booth and it’s a new bridge (opened October 2017), to cross the bridge you have to go online to pay beforehand. So motorists not local to the area might have difficulty recognising it’s a toll road before it’s too late, which is the case of my family member. I’m sure if she knew it’s tolled or there is a toll booth she’d have happily paid. The electronic camera monitoring system adds to the confusion especially for elderly people.
Edited by: "mmquokka" 19th Jul
mmquokka5 m ago

Sorry, I mean since there is no toll booth and it’s a new bridge (opened O …Sorry, I mean since there is no toll booth and it’s a new bridge (opened October 2017), to cross the bridge you have to go online to pay beforehand. So motorists not local to the area might have difficulty recognising it’s a toll road before it’s too late, which is the case of my family member. I’m sure if she knew it’s tolled or there is a toll booth she’d have happily paid. The electronic camera monitoring system adds to the confusion especially for elderly people.

should just pay the fine tbh. life is too shor
we drove down there for the first time last week, we do not live in the area never been that way before but the SAT NAV took us that way, your family is right, there are no signs, there are loads and loads of them, more than you can miss thats for sure, they even have flashing signs and tell you how to pay. You cannot miss them really you cant.

I was driving and the wife paid the toll before we got across the bridge, no need to google the the sign was clear on how to pay. I would just pay it.
Edited by: "eslick" 19th Jul
I believe the signage was ruled to be inadequate at the time of the defendant's crossing(which was some time ago). The signage was "improved" and now complies with regulations so it would not affect recent crossings.
@mmquokka

The relevant background:-

trafficpenaltytribunal.gov.uk/mer…nt/

But more importantly read this merseygateway.co.uk/2018/ dated July 13th, 2018
And this liverpoolecho.co.uk/new…218

Therefore I see you have two options:-

1. Pay the £22 for that journey with the discount, or

2. Challenge the penalty on its merit and your own specific circumstance and rationale of what you saw and not see, most that you will pay is £42 plus your effort if you lose, which is not a lot. This is because once you appealed within the time of 14 days, the standard penalty does not go up in value.

plus, pay the £2 for any new journey.
Edited by: "splender" 19th Jul
Was there a month or so ago and found there to be plenty of warning and signage about it
Fines and toll charges before the 19th April 2018 are deemed illegal as it was to do with incorrect signage rather than no signage. Charging £0-£2. £0 cannot be a charge. Anything after the 19th should be paid as the signage is now legal.

Any refunds before this date should be requested in writing to Halton council but they are refusing to pay up.

I got fined myself as I forgot to pay, it’s easy to forget, I was on a 2 hour drive and said to myself I would pay when I got to my destination. It slipped my mind and I got a fine but I just paid the fine. They know plenty of people will forget to pay it.
My friend got a fine through today about this bridge. We went through on the way back to work after a meeting a few weeks ago. Once we were back we were really busy so she forgot to pay. It would be so much better if there was a toll booth option to avoid this.
davewave3 h, 34 m ago

should just pay the fine tbh. life is too shor

Intentionally funny or a happy coincidence?
Trevormal1 h, 35 m ago

My friend got a fine through today about this bridge. We went through on …My friend got a fine through today about this bridge. We went through on the way back to work after a meeting a few weeks ago. Once we were back we were really busy so she forgot to pay. It would be so much better if there was a toll booth option to avoid this.

toll booths slow traffic, we have a tunnel round our way and even with a permit you have to stop at the barrier, number plate recognition is so much easier and keeps traffic moving. Sadly forgetting is not really an excuse for not paying, you wouldnt forget to pay in a shop, we paid it before we even got to the end of the bridge and that was after scraping round looking for change for the booth we were expecting until we saw the sign how to pay.
DartPay works well for me, just load credit and forget about it. No fine, no fuss.
mmquokka6 h, 54 m ago

Sorry, I mean since there is no toll booth and it’s a new bridge (opened O …Sorry, I mean since there is no toll booth and it’s a new bridge (opened October 2017), to cross the bridge you have to go online to pay beforehand. So motorists not local to the area might have difficulty recognising it’s a toll road before it’s too late, which is the case of my family member. I’m sure if she knew it’s tolled or there is a toll booth she’d have happily paid. The electronic camera monitoring system adds to the confusion especially for elderly people.

You don't have to pay in advance - you have until the end of the day following the crossing.

I really can't agree that it's hard to recognise the bridge as subject to tolls, even for a non-local - there are numerous. very clear, signs before the toll takes effect. If someone misses those, I'd doubt whether they're paying enough attention to be safely driving!
davewave17 h, 1 m ago

Now if I just saw that sign I would start rummaging around to find £2, assuming that in 2 miles there would be some way of paying in cash. Others have said there are signs telling you how to pay later but I can see many people will forget about it by the time the journey has ended.
Satan_Claws7 m ago

Now if I just saw that sign I would start rummaging around to find £2, …Now if I just saw that sign I would start rummaging around to find £2, assuming that in 2 miles there would be some way of paying in cash. Others have said there are signs telling you how to pay later but I can see many people will forget about it by the time the journey has ended.

what sign, was there a sign, is this a toll road?
How could you miss it. It’s so clear. Just pay it and get over it.
Edited by: "andy186186" 20th Jul
davewave40 m ago

what sign, was there a sign, is this a toll road?

There is a huge sign saying the cost plus about 10 overhead digital signs saying pay by midnight tomorrow night. It’s clear enough and easy enough to pay people just forget then complain about the fine.
healthandsafety9 h, 59 m ago

It's part of the road network, no-one should pay anything,motorists are …It's part of the road network, no-one should pay anything,motorists are just cash cows for a pathetic Tory government.

It was sanctioned by a Labour Council but don't let the facts get in the way of your little rant
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants