Payment fees for downloading game?

Posted 2nd Dec
I am new to downloading but the game I wanted jumps up in price by over £3 as a "Payment Fee" from the seller - is this normal? As its just a download I dont quite understand it as they are not posting anything. Any advice please?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

24 Comments
This is not normal at all. I would be cautious.
Avoid.
awiew02/12/2019 12:50

This is not normal at all. I would be cautious.

Yes, be cautious about the concept and the specific seller.
Thanks going to avoid then.
Where is safe to buy from? CD Keys doesnt have game I want?
googley202/12/2019 13:00

Thanks going to avoid then.Where is safe to buy from? CD Keys doesnt have …Thanks going to avoid then.Where is safe to buy from? CD Keys doesnt have game I want?

What game are you after?
Haircut_10002/12/2019 13:07

What game are you after?

Planet Zoo Deluxe Version - its just came out in November.
Where are you buying from? If it's that cesspool G2A, they usually charge an extra £3-4 'protection' fee so you'll get a refund when they key you bought turns out to be bought with a stolen credit card.

If it is them definitely stay away. Assuming it is a PC game you're buying, a few options are Steam, Epic Store and GOG.

Edit: Planet Zoo is available on Steam or the Frontier Store. Both are priced the same.

store.steampowered.com/app…oo/
frontierstore.net/gam…tml
Edited by: "McShane1" 2nd Dec
McShane102/12/2019 13:12

Where are you buying from? If it's that cesspool G2A, they usually charge …Where are you buying from? If it's that cesspool G2A, they usually charge an extra £3-4 'protection' fee so you'll get a refund when they key you bought turns out to be bought with a stolen credit card. If it is them definitely stay away. Assuming it is a PC game you're buying, a few options are Steam, Epic Store and GOG.Edit: Planet Zoo is available on Steam or the Frontier Store. Both are priced the same. https://store.steampowered.com/app/703080/Planet_Zoo/https://www.frontierstore.net/games/planet-zoo-cat/pre-order-planet-zoo-deluxe-edition-steam.html

Yes it was G2A - didnt know keys from there could be stolen!! New to this will go with the ones you gave - Thanks
googley202/12/2019 13:20

Yes it was G2A - didnt know keys from there could be stolen!! New to this …Yes it was G2A - didnt know keys from there could be stolen!! New to this will go with the ones you gave - Thanks

You can choose to pay the lower price without the protection I believe. Not sure how reliable as not used them.before
googley202/12/2019 13:20

Yes it was G2A - didnt know keys from there could be stolen!! New to this …Yes it was G2A - didnt know keys from there could be stolen!! New to this will go with the ones you gave - Thanks

Yep, as it's a market place anyone can sell on there so it's not just stolen keys to worry about, it could be keys bought from cheaper regions and resold that will eventually be blacklisted and removed from your account. It's a very grey area and best to just avoid it. For the £5 difference between G2A and Steam, it's best to just buy it from Steam.
123batman32102/12/2019 13:23

You can choose to pay the lower price without the protection I believe. …You can choose to pay the lower price without the protection I believe. Not sure how reliable as not used them.before

I wouldnt like to take the risk thats its a dodgy download. Its for a childs xmas present so want a happy xmas not screams and temper tantrums as the game wont work. I dont normally pay this much for a game but its all they want and I know new releases are just so expensive.
McShane102/12/2019 13:25

Yep, as it's a market place anyone can sell on there so it's not just …Yep, as it's a market place anyone can sell on there so it's not just stolen keys to worry about, it could be keys bought from cheaper regions and resold that will eventually be blacklisted and removed from your account. It's a very grey area and best to just avoid it. For the £5 difference between G2A and Steam, it's best to just buy it from Steam.

Wow - I have a lot to learn about downloads then.
googley202/12/2019 13:26

I wouldnt like to take the risk thats its a dodgy download. Its for a …I wouldnt like to take the risk thats its a dodgy download. Its for a childs xmas present so want a happy xmas not screams and temper tantrums as the game wont work. I dont normally pay this much for a game but its all they want and I know new releases are just so expensive.

Very expensive. Which platform are you using?
googley202/12/2019 13:26

I wouldnt like to take the risk thats its a dodgy download. Its for a …I wouldnt like to take the risk thats its a dodgy download. Its for a childs xmas present so want a happy xmas not screams and temper tantrums as the game wont work. I dont normally pay this much for a game but its all they want and I know new releases are just so expensive.

If it's for Christmas then it's worth waiting instead of buying right now. There *could* be a sale on it before the day. Their previous game, Planet Coaster was released in November 2016 and got a 15% discount on 22nd December 2016 so you never know.

There's no harm in waiting!
allkeyshop.com/blo…es/

gives you an idea where its available and the different fees retailers charge for car / paypal etc.
it's not with the risk, not only can the game be cancelled withouit refund it it was stolen, you can loose a whole account for fraudulent activity
123batman32102/12/2019 13:31

Very expensive. Which platform are you using?

I am getting a new laptop tomorrow for her Xmas, but Win 10 I think.
Luckyluke0202/12/2019 13:37

https://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-planet-zoo-cd-key-compare-prices/gives …https://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-planet-zoo-cd-key-compare-prices/gives you an idea where its available and the different fees retailers charge for car / paypal etc.

The cheapest is Gamivo - is that a safe place to buy?

gamivo.com/pro…hop
Big THANKS to all of you for helping me so much I really appreciate it.
I am learning a lot still at my ripe old age.
googley202/12/2019 14:42

The cheapest is Gamivo - is that a safe place to …The cheapest is Gamivo - is that a safe place to buy?https://www.gamivo.com/product/planet-zoo-deluxe-edition-steam?glv=kiwhuamu&utm_source=www.allkeyshop.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=allkeyshop

I have bought from them no issues but know someone who bought and was asked for id to upload to the site they cancelled and got a refund as they didnt want to do it but i never had an issue.
McShane102/12/2019 13:31

If it's for Christmas then it's worth waiting instead of buying right now. …If it's for Christmas then it's worth waiting instead of buying right now. There *could* be a sale on it before the day. Their previous game, Planet Coaster was released in November 2016 and got a 15% discount on 22nd December 2016 so you never know. There's no harm in waiting!

In that case I may wait but have a back-up ready as sure it will need downloading etc before Xmas as want it ready for her on Xmas day - I can just imagine her face and how she stops breathing with shock - priceless.
Luckyluke0202/12/2019 14:44

I have bought from them no issues but know someone who bought and was …I have bought from them no issues but know someone who bought and was asked for id to upload to the site they cancelled and got a refund as they didnt want to do it but i never had an issue.

Was that an 18 age game?
googley202/12/2019 14:45

Was that an 18 age game?

no it was xbox gift cared so no age rating they did order 5 and I only ordered one so think it may have been that
googley202/12/2019 14:42

The cheapest is Gamivo - is that a safe place to …The cheapest is Gamivo - is that a safe place to buy?https://www.gamivo.com/product/planet-zoo-deluxe-edition-steam?glv=kiwhuamu&utm_source=www.allkeyshop.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=allkeyshop

Best to avoid all those marketplace sites like Gavimo, Kinguin, G2A, Ebay etc. as they all have a poor track record of sourcing keys. They're getting the keys wherever they can, rather than selling directly on behalf of the publisher.

The PC gaming market is still in shambles after so many games in the mid-2000s onward made the foolish decision to exclusively use a DRM system that also ran it's own store, called Steam.

It forced many of the game shops operating at that time into the uncomfortable position of selling a game that required a rival store to be installed and launched every time you wanted to play that game.

Most of them predictably collapsed.

We are seeing some signs of recovery with recent independent launched like the Epic Games shop getting some big name games but the habits of the last fifteen years aren't easy to break and many games like Planet Zoo are still steam-exclusives.

So you either buy it from steam or you buy a steam key from elsewhere. It is very difficult to distinguish legitimate key sellers from marketplace sellers unfortunately, you just have to read up on the individual shop.

Although looking on a games price comparison site which covers most of the legitimate ones I could only see Steam and Humble Store listed as sellers. The game's developer - Frontier Development - also operates their own store which sells it. frontierstore.net/gam…tml
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions