Groups

Payments over phone- are they safe?

In recent rakuten offer (50 of a 350 pound spend) I have ordered an iPad air 2 16gb for 310 (360 - 50).
    I took the grey one, which seems to be out of stock at the moment. I contacted the shop (pixel electronics) and guy confirmed they don't have any until after new year, but he can post a silver one if I want it now.

I also asked about possibility of upgrade to 64gb as I thought about higher capacity, and said I do not want to cancel and reorder (not to lose discount), he said they have grey 64gb in stock and I can just pay the remaining 80.00 over the phone using my card.

Is that safe? The company has very good reviews but it's just a shop on rakuten and they don't even provide a phone number?

Please help, I need to make a decision:(

11 Comments

used to do it all the time
    the problem is you have to give up all the details which could be used by an unscrupulous person
    and even if the shop and worker are completely honest and legit, what if they don't tear up the scrap of paper into a million pieces?
    i'd be more at ease if the company was established with multiple online presences (e.g. play.com, eBay, Facebook, own website etc)

If you can pay via a credit card, You'll have some protection then.

Original Poster

I don't have credit card and there's not much info about them other than: rakuten.co.uk/sho…fo/

can you not transfer the money?

Original Poster

Thats what i asked for initially to do a bank transfer and he said he would take payment over the phone?

ooooh - only feedback of 381 and contact is a gmail address!!
    could be legit, don't want to taint him with a skeptical brush, but I wouldn't
    CC protection isn't there for less than £100
    bank transfer isn't safe either
    i'm also not convinced they're a genuine apple reseller and therefore i take everything they say with a pinch of salt

also, it's a grey import
    when someone else received a faulty one, they were redirected to apple store
    £80 discount is good, but may not be worth the trouble in the long run - other major sellers may be offering small discounts at the moment

Original Poster

DennisG

also, it's a grey importwhen someone else received a faulty one, they … also, it's a grey importwhen someone else received a faulty one, they were redirected to apple store£80 discount is good, but may not be worth the trouble in the long run - other major sellers may be offering small discounts at the moment

I already bought it, its 80 pounds extra to upgrade to 64gb

I take payments over the phone all the time at my work,we are a pretty small business and too pass our annual security check I have to prove that the card details are not stored in any way,our card machine doesn't print off any of the card details so as long as he typed it into the card machine as you give him the numbers then you should be fine security wise,if we don't do that then it makes our insurance a lot more expensive.if I take payment from overseas then I do accept PayPal,why don't you ask if you can pay that way,that way you have 28 days to recall if the product doesn't show.

Original Poster

I have decided to leave it as i do not feel confident enough to pass on my card details.ill stick to 16gb for now if i need more memory ill sell it on and upgrade then. Some more good deals will come at some point:)

i know, just warning you as to what you can expect so you can cancel if you want to using DSR
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. New Layout is Confusing: How to I navigate to specific items!?67
      2. Looking for help/advice finding a weeks holiday in September please??56
      3. GAP Insurance Recommendations11
      4. Any discount for paultons park?22

See more discussions