Paypal £10 survey email

Posted 18th Dec 2019
ok, I know about scam emails but have just received an email from Paypal offering £10 virtual credit for completing a feedback survey, the thing is its addressed to my name which according to the Paypal help section indicates its genuine. Its asking me to click a link in the email though which sends up the red flags! Any ideas? Have done a search and some are saying they are genuine emails and others scam!
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Hold your cursor over the link and check out the URL that displays at the bottom of the page
you seem to have a healthy aversion to taking risks. do you really NEED a tenner? if yes, take the risk. If not, delete. If you cant decide toss a coin.
On your phone, ensure setting is not on 'allow installation from unknown sources (or whatever is called ). Open it using an ad blocker browser. Should be OK. Most viruses are aimed at PCs. Android is pretty good at filtering our the unworthy. If you are feeling really paranoid, use a vpn.
I always just click them. I'm not averse to reformatting my phone and starting again. Never happened yet though.
Just click it and find out what happens. We all had to learn the hard way years ago
Mine offered £5 and I completed it. Asked 2 questions then didn’t ask any more after I answered 18-24.
Having your name is meaningless. There's a good chance your name is publicly associated with your e-mail address online.

Unless you've given a unique name for your paypal account I'd treat it as dodgy.

What address is the e-mail from? Is it a domain owned by Paypal or a reputable survey company?
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 18th Dec 2019
Hi thanks for replies, email is from paypal@mail.paypal.com, hovering over the link comes up with Paypal.com/sur…rve and lots of numbers. It just seems odd if genuine that Paypal would ask me to click a link when they're forever telling everyone never to click links in emails. I've been into my paypal account and there's no messages or anything showing there. I'm using a laptop by the way not a phone.
Polar118/12/2019 16:13

Hi thanks for replies, email is from paypal@mail.paypal.com, hovering over …Hi thanks for replies, email is from paypal@mail.paypal.com, hovering over the link comes up with Paypal.com/survey/selfserve and lots of numbers. It just seems odd if genuine that Paypal would ask me to click a link when they're forever telling everyone never to click links in emails. I've been into my paypal account and there's no messages or anything showing there. I'm using a laptop by the way not a phone.

Most of these survey's are farmed out to an outsourced agency. The link is probably from Paypal, and the numbers are probably an identifier so the redirect to the outsource shows where/who it came from. If you are doubtful, why not ask Paypal themselves? They will be able to tell you if this "Survey" is genuine or if they do no such thing.

All the best, Phsy.
don't know if a scam but a good one if it is, as everyone has a paypal account (apparently ) so no one would think this was suspicious. free money for completing a survey, sounds pretty easy.

click click and a virus is downloaded on to your pc. if it were me i would not do it, not because i am worried about the virus but because paypal is not reliable for paying out on their promises. unreliable company with poor customer service, not worth the bother as it is unlikely to materialise and you put yourself at risk of being scammed.
Thank you for all your replies. Might just delete it as even if genuine its not guaranteed to be paid. I thought maybe they'd sent it to everyone and it'd be a talking point on here but doesn't seem to be the case.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions