Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

PayPal

Posted 1st Mar
Sold something on eBay on sold for £1 but I have only received £0.67 on PayPal is it me or 33p is a lot in terms of the amount sold haven’t even paid eBay fee yet so bot worth doing it. Do PayPal charge a percentage of how much you sell for?

3415790-M8tsr.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I always use this before I sell on eBay to see what my costs will be:

ebayfeescalculator.com/uk-…or/

It has become very expensive to sell something on eBay because you have to pay fees, postage & packaging:

I have also started sending my parcels by Hermes because they are slightly cheaper than Royal Mail for me usually:

myhermes.co.uk/our…tml

I also keep any packaging I receive in the post like padded envelopes to reuse for packaging my eBay sales.

Another tip is don't sell something over £10 until the maximum selling fee is £1:

hotukdeals.com/dea…333
eBay charge 10% and PayPal 3.40% + 20p.
Edited by: "Love__Bargains" 1st Mar
24 Comments
Yeah both eBay and PayPal (who is eBay) take a percentage, not sure what it is though.
Yeah, puts me off selling on eBay cause I’m tight
LauraBelcher01/03/2020 19:14

Yeah, puts me off selling on eBay cause I’m tight

Not bothered but time I pay 10% ebay fee I’ve only earned 57p not going to be using it anymore
I thought it was 20p (or similar) plus the percentage?
Dylan_Smith13501/03/2020 19:16

Not bothered but time I pay 10% ebay fee I’ve only earned 57p not going to …Not bothered but time I pay 10% ebay fee I’ve only earned 57p not going to be using it anymore

There’s no point is there! I think they take 20p as standard and then a percentage as well. I didn’t realise you have to pay when you receive money through PayPal too!
40022790-G0uSn.jpg
Edited by: "Love__Bargains" 1st Mar
I always use this before I sell on eBay to see what my costs will be:

ebayfeescalculator.com/uk-…or/

It has become very expensive to sell something on eBay because you have to pay fees, postage & packaging:

I have also started sending my parcels by Hermes because they are slightly cheaper than Royal Mail for me usually:

myhermes.co.uk/our…tml

I also keep any packaging I receive in the post like padded envelopes to reuse for packaging my eBay sales.

Another tip is don't sell something over £10 until the maximum selling fee is £1:

hotukdeals.com/dea…333
Is there some ebay/PP fee exemption/reduction at max 99p sale price inc post? Occasionally wonder how ebay sellers shift low value items by post and still make a worthwhile return.
Delightful12301/03/2020 19:52

I always use this before I sell on eBay to see what my costs will …I always use this before I sell on eBay to see what my costs will be:https://www.ebayfeescalculator.com/uk-ebay-calculator/It has become very expensive to sell something on eBay because you have to pay fees, postage & packaging:I have also started sending my parcels by Hermes because they are slightly cheaper than Royal Mail for me usually:https://www.myhermes.co.uk/our-services/parcelshops.htmlI also keep any packaging I receive in the post like padded envelopes to reuse for packaging my eBay sales.Another tip is don't sell something over £10 until the maximum selling fee is £1: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ebay-selling-fee-max-1-for-4-days-3414333

Thank you for that never knew about that website
AndyRoyd01/03/2020 19:54

Is there some ebay/PP fee exemption/reduction at max 99p sale price inc …Is there some ebay/PP fee exemption/reduction at max 99p sale price inc post? Occasionally wonder how ebay sellers shift low value items by post and still make a worthwhile return.

Maybe they delivery by bicycle lol
The PayPal fee for selling goods is 2.9% + £0.30
So selling something for £1, then 30p is a big hit
Edited by: "jco83" 1st Mar
Love__Bargains01/03/2020 19:24

It's 2.9% + 30p
paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_GB#tableOfFees1
(Always bugs me how seemingly difficult it is to find PayPal's fee's)

'A2.2 Receiving Domestic payments (Selling)
A2.2.1 Standard rate
2.90% + Fixed Fee

A4.6 Fixed Fees for Commercial Transaction payments and Personal Transaction payments
U.K. Pounds Sterling:
0.20 GBP (payable by Irish users)
0.30 GBP (payable by all other users)
On further immediate notice published by PayPal on the Policy Updates page (accessible via the Legal footer on most PayPal site pages) on or after August 19, 2019 (as PayPal may determine in its sole discretion), the Fixed Fee for Commercial Transaction payments and Personal Transaction payments for payments received in GBP will increase to 0.30 GBP for Users registered in Ireland.'

So it used to be 20p fixed fee for Ireland but that changed in August 2019
It is really not worth selling low cost items on Ebay, unless a company wants to take a bit of a loss/break even in an attempt to boost up feedback.
I realised they have increased the fees too so pointless selling anything for 99p
There is a site called clothnappytree where u can work out exactly how much PayPal fees will be.
Misslovely01/03/2020 21:34

I realised they have increased the fees too so pointless selling anything …I realised they have increased the fees too so pointless selling anything for 99p

I used to sell branded printer cartridges starting at 99p on an auction.
I had to charge £2.99 postage as it cost me £2.50 over the counter for the postage.
Then Ebay started charging fees on postage so if it sold for 99p+ £2.99 postage they charged me 40p fees +Paypal fees on a sale of 99p.
I gave up!
eBay & Paypal are both very greedy companies.
winzzz01/03/2020 19:13

Yeah both eBay and PayPal (who is eBay) take a percentage, not sure what …Yeah both eBay and PayPal (who is eBay) take a percentage, not sure what it is though.

eBay spun off PayPal a few years ago - there's no longer an ownership link.
landros101/03/2020 22:45

I used to sell branded printer cartridges starting at 99p on an auction. I …I used to sell branded printer cartridges starting at 99p on an auction. I had to charge £2.99 postage as it cost me £2.50 over the counter for the postage.Then Ebay started charging fees on postage so if it sold for 99p+ £2.99 postage they charged me 40p fees +Paypal fees on a sale of 99p.I gave up!

That's because sellers started using the shipping fee to avoid paying fees.
Dylan_Smith13501/03/2020 19:16

Not bothered but time I pay 10% ebay fee I’ve only earned 57p not going to …Not bothered but time I pay 10% ebay fee I’ve only earned 57p not going to be using it anymore

Or just set the opening bid at a realistic price that is worth selling for.

So set the list price at £1.99 for example. If you don't think the item will sell for at least £1.99 plus postage then just give it to a charity shop or recycle it.
Welcome to the world of greedy corporations, I don't know why they feel the need to charge so much - they could charge a lot less and still be very very rich.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants