PayPal advice please to avoid chargeback.

Posted 22nd Oct
Someone is sending me funds via PayPal so I will promote their product on my Instagram page. I don’t know the person and they have just sent the money over. I’m concerned if I do this paid promotion that they will somehow get the money back after I’ve done it. Is this possible when receiving the funds as a gift? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
B_hunter22/10/2019 19:07

...No one can take money out of your PayPal account unless you approve it.

Rubbish. PayPal can and does reverse transactions / take money back / freeze accounts at the slightest excuse, regardless of the perceived safety of f&f transaction. The slightest hint of a compromised source account or any other potentially fraudulent source will result in the recipient account being hit by agressively implemented PP t&c. Many small businesses have been shafted by this.
16 Comments
Considering every bit of Paypal advice I've received has been 'never give money as a gift as you can't get your money back', I would say as the recipient you're safe.
They won't get the money back. They will send you a code to buy the same product at half price after you have done the review but they will give you the opportunity to return the product if you don't want to buy. You must have agreed Terms and Conditions before they have sent you the money. No one can take money out of your PayPal account unless you approve it.
slimy3122/10/2019 19:02

Considering every bit of Paypal advice I've received has been 'never give …Considering every bit of Paypal advice I've received has been 'never give money as a gift as you can't get your money back', I would say as the recipient you're safe.

They seem legitimate as their page has 150k+ followers that sells food products. I’ve never done this before though so just being a bit cautious. Thanks
If they do rip you off, after you've posted the review. Just alter your review and say their product is and broke, caused your dog to explode, whatever.

What about getting them to buy you an Amazon Gift Card?
They email you the GC code, then you add it to your account.
They wouldn't be able to claim it back, as the code would be used by you.
It’s fine as long as they aren’t using stolen credit or debit card to provide that payment in which case the funds will be seized by PayPal.
B_hunter22/10/2019 19:07

...No one can take money out of your PayPal account unless you approve it.

Rubbish. PayPal can and does reverse transactions / take money back / freeze accounts at the slightest excuse, regardless of the perceived safety of f&f transaction. The slightest hint of a compromised source account or any other potentially fraudulent source will result in the recipient account being hit by agressively implemented PP t&c. Many small businesses have been shafted by this.
Derek_Lancelot_Shatwell22/10/2019 19:40

If they do rip you off, after you've posted the review. Just alter your …If they do rip you off, after you've posted the review. Just alter your review and say their product is and broke, caused your dog to explode, whatever.What about getting them to buy you an Amazon Gift Card?They email you the GC code, then you add it to your account.They wouldn't be able to claim it back, as the code would be used by you.

They can claim the gift card back by charging back on payment method.
Make sure they don't pay using goods and services. Intangible goods covered by seller protection but not buyer protection - case will be found in buyer's favour if opened and there is no way to get your money back in this case.
This question gets asked too often.

If they pay by goods and services, and you don't provide a tracking number, they will automatically get the money back.
If they pay via friends and family, they can open a case with their bank/credit card to say they didn't do this transaction. In this situation the power is really out of paypals hands, so paypal will refund the sender asap to prevent any loss from their end. They will also hit you with a charge for this actually happening. So you could lose more than just advertising for the person, you could lose money too.

I got a chargeback on a digital item I sent someone, who paid via f&f. It was for about £18 or something small. Paypal refunded him and charged me £8 or something like that, just to rub a little salt in the wound for good measure.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 23rd Oct
J4GG423/10/2019 00:10

This question gets asked too often.If they pay by goods and services, and …This question gets asked too often.If they pay by goods and services, and you don't provide a tracking number, they will automatically get the money back.If they pay via friends and family, they can open a case with their bank/credit card to say they didn't do this transaction. In this situation the power is really out of paypals hands, so paypal will refund the sender asap to prevent any loss from their end. They will also hit you with a charge for this actually happening. So you could lose more than just advertising for the person, you could lose money too.I got a chargeback on a digital item I sent someone, who paid via f&f. It was for about £18 or something small. Paypal refunded him and charged me £8 or something like that, just to rub a little salt in the wound for good measure.

Not always the case. 2 people scammed me via friends and family and they won the case each time. PayPal fight chargebacks, it's all up to the bank in the end. However, chargebacks are definitely possible so it is a risk.
I only take Paypal now via eBay to much hassle otherwise with charge backs
J4GG423/10/2019 00:10

This question gets asked too often.If they pay by goods and services, and …This question gets asked too often.If they pay by goods and services, and you don't provide a tracking number, they will automatically get the money back.If they pay via friends and family, they can open a case with their bank/credit card to say they didn't do this transaction. In this situation the power is really out of paypals hands, so paypal will refund the sender asap to prevent any loss from their end. They will also hit you with a charge for this actually happening. So you could lose more than just advertising for the person, you could lose money too.I got a chargeback on a digital item I sent someone, who paid via f&f. It was for about £18 or something small. Paypal refunded him and charged me £8 or something like that, just to rub a little salt in the wound for good measure.

They’ve sent the money via friends. Wouldn’t they have to set up a fraud case to say they never made the transaction? I have numerous messages from him saying this and he’s even sent me a screenshot of the PayPal payment gone through. Also as someone said previously I could leave negative reviews about his vegan products if this was the case.
googleboogle23/10/2019 07:04

I only take Paypal now via eBay to much hassle otherwise with charge backs

That makes no sense, as chargebacks are more likely via eBay using PayPal than anything else, especially with both sites having a very biased protection scheme tipped in the favour of buyers.
jamie1523/10/2019 22:59

That makes no sense, as chargebacks are more likely via eBay using PayPal …That makes no sense, as chargebacks are more likely via eBay using PayPal than anything else, especially with both sites having a very biased protection scheme tipped in the favour of buyers.

You get a lot more proteectjbo via eBay etc if you follow the rules with verified buyers and sellers.

Outside of what it’s the Wild West
googleboogle24/10/2019 06:22

You get a lot more proteectjbo via eBay etc if you follow the rules with …You get a lot more proteectjbo via eBay etc if you follow the rules with verified buyers and sellers. Outside of what it’s the Wild West

Not true at all. Selling via eBay only gives more protection to the buyer. eBay's seller protection is even worse than PayPal's, plus they charge you for the privilege. Only reason I use eBay is for increased sales, but if you list especially on eBay and direct buyers to your eBay store as a private seller that is a very bad, confusing decision.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants