Expired

PayPal advice pls. Paying in dollars?

Found 15th May 2013
Please can someone advise me.
I am wanting to book a villa in Florida. The owner has requested I use PayPal using a credit card. The amount he is asking for is in dollars not pounds.
He has stated there will be a 3% fee for this which I understand but how do I know how much PayPal will charge me. For instance the deposit is $200 so that old be $206 with the credit card fee.
But how do I know how much in pounds they will take. I have used an app on my phone called XE and $206 dollars is just over £135 so that is what I am expecting. I am just worried that PayPal might rip me off when paying something in a different currency. Can anyone advise me please. I realise when I pay the lump sum in a few months that will be dependant on the currency of that day.
Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Original Poster
Sorry should say I already have a PayPal account so that isn't an issue.
Paypal take a 3.25% cut IIRC, but you will only pay that once - the credit card transaction will be conducted in GBP so you don't pay the credit card's conversion fee.

This rate only applies if you are converting from USD to GBP. Any other currencies cost more because Paypal convert from original currency to USD to GBP incurring 2 lots of fees.
Original Poster
Thank you. I have been looking on PayPal and they have a tool for working the conversion so with your info I now feel more comfortable with it.
i have bought from the usa in dollars before using paypal and the exchange rate was actually quite good and i remember being pleasantly surprised. very smooth transaction.
Banned
Surely if you use PayPal there is no credit card fee
Make sure it's all legit before you pay or you could lose all your money with no come back. guardian.co.uk/mon…let
Original Poster
boohai

Make sure it's all legit before you pay or you could lose all your money … Make sure it's all legit before you pay or you could lose all your money with no come back. http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/apr/27/booking-cottage-summer-holiday-let

Thanks that is a little frightening. A good reminder of what can go wrong.
Original Poster
dimebars

Surely if you use PayPal there is no credit card fee

I looked at PayPal and it does say 3.25% actually. I think it is more to do with it being a currency change rather than using the credit card.
Banned
paypal usually give you a crap exchange rate for instance the au/us rate is around 1.07 in my favour and they gave me 0.99 rate on a transaction last week

keep an eye on your statement because i have had paypal do the transaction in local currency before and been charged by the bank.... they refunded the difference as it was their error but it was a major hassle
Original Poster
casparwhite

paypal usually give you a crap exchange rate for instance the au/us rate … paypal usually give you a crap exchange rate for instance the au/us rate is around 1.07 in my favour and they gave me 0.99 rate on a transaction last weekkeep an eye on your statement because i have had paypal do the transaction in local currency before and been charged by the bank.... they refunded the difference as it was their error but it was a major hassle

Thanks will check.

Appreciate all your help everyone.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants