Expired

Paypal Chargeback PS4 Plus Code

Found 20th FebEdited by:"Zek"
Hi

I recently sold a 1 year PS4 Plus code on eBay, I had had it for years and not used it, bought it when it was cheaper. About 3 days after payment, today I received a paypal chargeback, no eBay case made and no contact made through ebay at all. I looked at her feedback and it doesn't seem to be the normal type of thing she buys. The reason for the chargeback is unauthorised payment, probably meaning her kid bought it if its not a scam. I sent the code already, including a picture of the code that I got when I bought it (from CDKeys or somewhere like that) through eBay messages. But as I didn't send anything recorded to her address it might go against me?

I thought this might happen, I guess I am stuffed. Is there anyway I can check if the code has been used or not? I don't have my PS4 anymore as gave to my brother but could go around his and check, unless theres another way I can check?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Sorry your stuffed mate I lost to FIFA 18 codes when it came out due to this
You can log into your Sony account and enter it into the ps store. It will let you know if it has been used or not. If not there will be an extra screen before confirming to use it.
If you still have the code, go on store.playstation.com and press 'redeem code'. Enter the code and see if it will work. I highly doubt it, but it's worth a shot
Original Poster
jamie01524 m ago

If you still have the code, go on store.playstation.com and press 'redeem …If you still have the code, go on store.playstation.com and press 'redeem code'. Enter the code and see if it will work. I highly doubt it, but it's worth a shot

Thanks didn't know about that site, I went to account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com and it gave some error message but the store site is very clear in that it says "This prepaid card has already been redeemed."

I bet because I didn't test it in that site (and screen shot it) before I sent it to the buyer it will go against me. I tested it probably around a year ago on the PS4 and it brought up the confirmation screen but I didn't accept as I was just checking it worked. I sent Paypal a message, saying many things but also asking if its an unauthorised user why is the code used. Say it was her kid who knew her eBay and Paypal password and bought it, then input the code into a PS3/PS4/Vita, you would think she would have to know that he/she used the code, yet still wants the money back. More likely its just a scam though, knowingly use the code and do a charge back to get money back, for some reason when I saw a woman bought it I thought there would be less chance of being scammed.
Edited by: "Zek" 20th Feb
Don't sell codes on eBay. When will people learn honestly. People can not be trusted and always leaves the seller out of pocket. Dta my friend.
To give you a piece of mind why not have a live chat with a support agent and tell them you want to redeem it on your friends account but your having problems and you like to know if the code has been redeemed. If it has when was it redeemed. (I will warn you they may be awkward due to data protection reasons)

You may find some codes may expire but show it has been redeemed.

Wish you luck.
Zek2 h, 53 m ago

Thanks didn't know about that site, I went to …Thanks didn't know about that site, I went to https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com and it gave some error message but the store site is very clear in that it says "This prepaid card has already been redeemed." I bet because I didn't test it in that site (and screen shot it) before I sent it to the buyer it will go against me. I tested it probably around a year ago on the PS4 and it brought up the confirmation screen but I didn't accept as I was just checking it worked. I sent Paypal a message, saying many things but also asking if its an unauthorised user why is the code used. Say it was her kid who knew her eBay and Paypal password and bought it, then input the code into a PS3/PS4/Vita, you would think she would have to know that he/she used the code, yet still wants the money back. More likely its just a scam though, knowingly use the code and do a charge back to get money back, for some reason when I saw a woman bought it I thought there would be less chance of being scammed.

Luckily, I've not been scammed yet selling the occasional code on eBay. Unfortunately that's the risk you run when selling codes this way. I'd recommend sticking to low value codes online - anything as valuable as 12 month PS+ I'd do cash on collection. Hope you don't get unlucky again!
Original Poster
jamie01519 m ago

Luckily, I've not been scammed yet selling the occasional code on eBay. …Luckily, I've not been scammed yet selling the occasional code on eBay. Unfortunately that's the risk you run when selling codes this way. I'd recommend sticking to low value codes online - anything as valuable as 12 month PS+ I'd do cash on collection. Hope you don't get unlucky again!

I don't intend to sell any codes again, I just bought that code when I first got my PS4 and had it for years, but never got around to going online and didn't play games that much on it, had some bad experiences online on Xbox and just lost confidence. I had sold about 2 low value steam codes on eBay years ago because I already had the games, probably bought them by mistake but that's all.

I checked it about a year ago on PS4 and it seemed to go to the confirmation screen, indicating it hadn't been used but I should have checked again before I sold it and screen shot it, if it would have made a difference I don't know. Brother has PS4 now and didn't know another way to check it. Maybe it expired, but you would think they would write an ebay message angry that it didn't work in that case.

Ah well lesson learnt. Probably will get a negative feedback too knowing my luck (they haven't given me feedback yet but I have them), not had one before.
Original Poster
pricesavvy2 h, 31 m ago

To give you a piece of mind why not have a live chat with a support agent …To give you a piece of mind why not have a live chat with a support agent and tell them you want to redeem it on your friends account but your having problems and you like to know if the code has been redeemed. If it has when was it redeemed. (I will warn you they may be awkward due to data protection reasons) You may find some codes may expire but show it has been redeemed. Wish you luck.

Thanks, Might try it, not holding my breath though! Even if they say it was activated on the day I sent it to them, it's not proof that I myself didn't activate it that day. I doubt they will give the name on the account it was activated too!

I think the issue for paypal might not be whether the code has been used but whether it was really a "unauthorised transaction" like the buyer claims. Small possibility her eBay and paypal accounts were hacked and someone unknown really did buy it and use it, no idea if paypal would reimburse both parties then.
Edited by: "Zek" 20th Feb
Zek16 m ago

Thanks, Might try it, not holding my breath though! Even if they say it …Thanks, Might try it, not holding my breath though! Even if they say it was activated on the day I sent it to them, it's not proof that I myself didn't activate it that day. I doubt they will give the name on the account it was activated too!I think the issue for paypal might not be whether the code has been used but whether it was really a "unauthorised transaction" like the buyer claims. Small possibility her eBay and paypal accounts were hacked and someone unknown really did buy it and use it, no idea if paypal would reimburse both parties then.

You should be covered under PayPal seller protection for unauthorised transactions: https://www.paypal.com/uk/selfhelp/article/what-is-the-seller-protection-policy-and-what-items-aren’t-covered-faq1156
Just send them a message telling them you're reporting them to the police for fraud.
Original Poster
jamie01520th Feb

You should be covered under PayPal seller protection for unauthorised …You should be covered under PayPal seller protection for unauthorised transactions: https://www.paypal.com/uk/selfhelp/article/what-is-the-seller-protection-policy-and-what-items-aren’t-covered-faq1156

Probably not covered as I didn't use recorded delivery to send it, just ebay messages. I lost the case and she got refunded. 2 other people now are complaining on her feedback profile that she did the same thing to them, using their code and claiming and getting her money back. Reported her to eBay, probably nothing will happen. Wrote a complaint about a judgement to Paypal, they responded with generic things, so a few days ago I asked them to address my original complaint but haven't heard anything back from them. The buyer doesn't seem to type of person to buy a PS4 code, she seems to sell typical womens items. In future everythings going recorded delivery.
Zek1 h, 3 m ago

Probably not covered as I didn't use recorded delivery to send it, just …Probably not covered as I didn't use recorded delivery to send it, just ebay messages. I lost the case and she got refunded. 2 other people now are complaining on her feedback profile that she did the same thing to them, using their code and claiming and getting her money back. Reported her to eBay, probably nothing will happen. Wrote a complaint about a judgement to Paypal, they responded with generic things, so a few days ago I asked them to address my original complaint but haven't heard anything back from them. The buyer doesn't seem to type of person to buy a PS4 code, she seems to sell typical womens items. In future everythings going recorded delivery.

That's a shame - though codes via recorded delivery will probably still be at risk (people can just say the code didn't work and you've lost the eBay case).

It's why I try to avoid selling high value codes through eBay - instead I use one of the other sites (Shpock, Gumtree, etc.) and ask for payment by PayPal friends and family before sending. It's not entirely risk free but is far safer for a seller than eBay.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants