Groups

Paypal claim help

Need help here. I'm seriously angry with an ebay sale I made. Not going into too much detail as I wouldn't want any party identifying me through this, but I sold something in perfect condition but the buyer asked for a refund because they didn't like it. I declined (as I had a no refund policy, and am a private seller, not business). They raised a claim through Paypal - and guess what, they, in their infinite wisdom, have ruled in favour of the buyer, without barely any checks. The buyer has no legal right whatsoever to a refund. Where do I go from here, I've heard Paypal are a law unto themselves. I've already written a stern email to them but I don't know if they monitor reply emails. I'm facing a loss now if I try to resell it as it has been used.
    TIA

11 Comments

Welcome to eBay and PayPal, but seriously this is why I won't sell Hugh value items that are not cash on collection only, PayPal always sides with the buyer no matter,

When you get it back open a claim for the item not received back in the same condition as you sent it to them.
    Rather than email Paypal ring them up you will get a better answer.

ebay and PayPal will, in 99.9% of cases rule in the buyers favour.
    and because your account and bank account are joined to your PayPal account, they've pretty much got you by the short n curly's !
    just take it on the chin and hope that some day you need them to rule in you favour

Was the item brand new?
    Do you have no returns on your policy along with if the item is not as described it may be returned at the buyers cost providing it is unopened
    And was it tracked?

Good luck. I had a similiar thing happen years ago. Having got a lifetime ban on ebay over a £2.50 item and I was a business seller for 12 years, I now lead a fulfilling but ebay free life. Ebay and paypal ALWAYS side with the buyer. They have software that is automatic and are unable to actually deal with "people" and merit each case individually.

Original Poster

rye2

Was the item brand new?Do you have no returns on your policy along with … Was the item brand new?Do you have no returns on your policy along with if the item is not as described it may be returned at the buyers cost providing it is unopenedAnd was it tracked?

Yes, brand new. No returns policy. Tracked, buyer doesn't dispute the condition.
    Replies so far just go to confirm my fears, but thanks anyway!

Was the item sold via auction or buy it now?
    If it was sold via buy it now then it is classed as new goods which then you have to accept returns up to 30 days after the sale but only if the item has not been used and remains unopened or is faulty

Original Poster

rye2

Was the item sold via auction or buy it now?If it was sold via buy it now … Was the item sold via auction or buy it now?If it was sold via buy it now then it is classed as new goods which then you have to accept returns up to 30 days after the sale but only if the item has not been used and remains unopened or is faulty

New, buy it now. So why would ebay allow you to set a policy of no returns?

Short answer, you are screwed. I will never use anything that requires PP again, after they stung me with a £600 unauthorised overdraft, and then told me to get lost.

They are officially "run" out of a cupboard in Luxembourg, so no FCA protection for you.

Because they expect you to read all the terms and conditions before you start selling on their site
    I have fallen foul to this game that they like to play with people at great expense ( a new mobile phone in the hundreds )
    you can go for damage control and ask that the item is returned at their expense and on receipt refund them the original purchase price and try to resell as new / other with a reserve on an auction to recoup some of your cash

appeal the decision, I had something similar and PayPal reconsidered and found in my favour.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Argos 3 for 2 reserving early44
      2. DashCam Recommendation With Front And Rear Camera Built In22
      3. £1500 55 inch 4K TV56
      4. SCS add ons... are they worth it??48

See more discussions