Paypal Gift Chargeback?

Found 18th Dec 2012
Can you do a chargeback on a Paypal gift payment.
I'm selling something on Ebay/Gumtree and am asking for cash on collection only. If I also accept Paypal gift, would the buyer be able to do a chargeback on this payment, like it's possible to do on a normal Paypal transaction?
Thanks
Community Updates
Misc
17 Comments
Good question. I'm contemplating doing the same with something I am selling on Gumtree.
Yes. If you're doing Cash on Collection, it's best to ask for cash! If they're paying you a lot of notes, use a pen to see if the notes are fake or not.

PayPal is never safe and anyone can get the money back if they're trying to scam you.
Edited by: "tsutton" 18th Dec 2012
you can't.

paypal gift is funded by paypal balance or direct bank transfer /dd/

no way that can be reversed.

but cash on collection is they way to go.
they can just claim its an unauthorized payment either with paypal or their card issuer.
kunyk

you can't.paypal gift is funded by paypal balance or direct bank transfer … you can't.paypal gift is funded by paypal balance or direct bank transfer /dd/no way that can be reversed.but cash on collection is they way to go.

see my post above, it can be claimed back by a scammer very easily.
kunyk

you can't.paypal gift is funded by paypal balance or direct bank transfer … you can't.paypal gift is funded by paypal balance or direct bank transfer /dd/no way that can be reversed.but cash on collection is they way to go.

Wrong. I had a chargeback on a ppg payment once.
OP - do cash on collection only.
harlzter

see my post above, it can be claimed back by a scammer very easily.

what card are you talking about?

paypal balance/dd

and if you file unauthorized payment claim on gift payment, it'll be declined.
sickly sweet

Wrong. I had a chargeback on a ppg payment once.OP - do cash on … Wrong. I had a chargeback on a ppg payment once.OP - do cash on collection only.

wasn't PPG then.
kunyk

wasn't PPG then.

oO
It was ppg.
It was a bank chargeback.
PPG is not as safe as everyone believes, they can be reversed.
kunyk

what card are you talking about?paypal balance/ddand if you file … what card are you talking about?paypal balance/ddand if you file unauthorized payment claim on gift payment, it'll be declined.

It doesn't make any difference what the payment source is - an unauthorised transaction is an unauthorised transaction, and if they claim that's what happened, Paypal will reverse it. Otherwise you're saying that if someone hacked into your account and bought something on your credit card, Paypal would reverse it for you, but if they bought it using Paypal balance they wouldn't? Or as long as they selected Gift (which could be £1000s off your credit card to themselves) they'd get away with it?
It's unlikely, as hopefully Paypal will see through them - it can't be easy to fake an unauthorised transaction (I suppose you could use a proxy to make it look like someone in another country accessed your account, but you might have to make it look like there was a hack attempt as well). But even if they do side with the buyer/scammer, it's possible that they'll pay out under Buyer Protection, which means the buyer/scammer would get paid back compensation from Paypal and you'd still get to keep the money. But it would still be possible that Paypal would claim it back from you - and it wouldn't be easy to prove you gave someone something in person.
do cash on collection only, why would anyone want to pay via paypal when they are picking it up, it takes 2 hours to transfer money to bank from paypal, so no reason on anyones planet to pay by paypal well apart form a scammers planet
reddragon105

It doesn't make any difference what the payment source is - an … It doesn't make any difference what the payment source is - an unauthorised transaction is an unauthorised transaction, and if they claim that's what happened, Paypal will reverse it. Otherwise you're saying that if someone hacked into your account and bought something on your credit card, Paypal would reverse it for you, but if they bought it using Paypal balance they wouldn't? Or as long as they selected Gift (which could be £1000s off your credit card to themselves) they'd get away with it?It's unlikely, as hopefully Paypal will see through them - it can't be easy to fake an unauthorised transaction (I suppose you could use a proxy to make it look like someone in another country accessed your account, but you might have to make it look like there was a hack attempt as well). But even if they do side with the buyer/scammer, it's possible that they'll pay out under Buyer Protection, which means the buyer/scammer would get paid back compensation from Paypal and you'd still get to keep the money. But it would still be possible that Paypal would claim it back from you - and it wouldn't be easy to prove you gave someone something in person.

PPG doesn't give you buyer protection, or seller protection. It is only supposed to be used between friends/family.
You are right about unauthorised transactions though, these can be subject to a bank chargeback, and my case the 'buyer''s case was successful.The chargeback happened about a week after they received their item (I think it was only about £25). I got my money back in the end but made me more wary of PPG and people should know it's not completely safe.
sickly sweet

oOIt was ppg.It was a bank chargeback.PPG is not as safe as everyone … oOIt was ppg.It was a bank chargeback.PPG is not as safe as everyone believes, they can be reversed.

ok, did bit of googling. there are few cases when even a bank payment was reversed, usually within an hour of sending. it's not as easy as doing a chargeback on the card though.
kunyk

ok, did bit of googling. there are few cases when even a bank payment was … ok, did bit of googling. there are few cases when even a bank payment was reversed, usually within an hour of sending. it's not as easy as doing a chargeback on the card though.

It was about a week after the 'buyer' received their item.
I resolved it, but PPG is not a fail-safe way of receiving money and if selling something worth a lot of money I would not trust it at all and as in the OP's situation would suggest cash on collection only.
Local Classifieds = Cash only in my opinion.
sickly sweet

It was about a week after the 'buyer' received their item.I resolved it, … It was about a week after the 'buyer' received their item.I resolved it, but PPG is not a fail-safe way of receiving money and if selling something worth a lot of money I would not trust it at all and as in the OP's situation would suggest cash on collection only.

I got done about 3 years ago. sent £40 with PPG, nothing received.

contacted my bank - it's gone, feck off, contacted paypal - you sent it as PPG, feck off, went to police - you sent it as PPG feck off.

I still use PPG both as seller and buyer and nothing happened ever since, but I'm aware that that might change with the next transaction.

but yes, cash is always king.
Thanks for all the info guys, cash it is then.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants