Paypal issues Mass Chargeback on UK PSN Transactions

SuperEd 28
Found 29th Jun 2017
Paypal have just issued a HUGE charge back on PSN transactions, which means if you're account is in debt, it'll now been suspended until you clear it OR Paypal/PSN sort their **** out.

''According to an internal source, the online payment company Paypal today initiated a mass chargeback on "thousands" of Sony Entertainment Network transactions, for reasons yet-unknown. These chargebacks have ended up putting the PSN accounts affected into debt, which triggers the system to auto-ban that account until it's back in the black. At the moment this seems to only be an issue for UK-based accounts.''

Apparently Sony have contacted Paypal and trying to find out what the fudge is going on...

For all we know could be Sony in the wrong - time will tell

Source

Community Updates
MiscPSN
28 Comments
Thank god I stopped using Paypal back in 2014. You'd never see such thing happening by a credit card company.
Original Poster SuperEd
mixmixi

Thank god I stopped using Paypal back in 2014. You'd never see such thing … Thank god I stopped using Paypal back in 2014. You'd never see such thing happening by a credit card company.

My first thought! Thankfully use credit/top-ups
My sister has been banned for a returned payment from a couple of weeks ago. She now can't access any digital games, it kind of puts me off buying digital when I could potentially lose them all for reasons out of my control
As much as it is nice to point the finger at Paypal, it may be a Sony thing. Just because PayPal issued the chargebacks doesn't mean there wasn't a GOOD reason behind it.

We will just have to wait and see. I know who I trust more with online payments
INDUSTRYHATER

My sister has been banned for a returned payment from a couple of weeks … My sister has been banned for a returned payment from a couple of weeks ago. She now can't access any digital games, it kind of puts me off buying digital when I could potentially lose them all for reasons out of my control

You can use them without being online so long as you have previously set that PS4 to primary in your account settings.
I wonder if it’s to do with the promotional £5 you were supposed to get when linking PayPal to PlayStation this month. They were supposed to be paid between 28th and 30th which is a major coincidence no!?
Spectral

You can use them without being online so long as you have previously set … You can use them without being online so long as you have previously set that PS4 to primary in your account settings.

Cheers I'll let her now. I'm not sure what her situation is with primary consoles, I know she has 2 consoles and game shares with her son. What an absolute mess!
Yep, just got banned from PSN.

Bans are normally permanent, no discussion, end of. Sony generally won't disclose the reason either, and all purchases made with that account lost forever (which I struggle to believe can be legal, despite what any T&C's say).

So we have been going out of our minds the last few hours, trying to understand why.

Anyway, I have a little hope now I have seen this news. although I still don't know how they can justify an automatic and irreversible ban, and loss of all those purchases without warning, just for one small payment issue.

If this is not sorted quickly, this is absolutely the final straw and we will be selling up and switching to Xbox. Might anyway TBH, nothing but problems with PS4/Sony.
autopilot

Yep, just got banned from PSN.Bans are normally permanent, no discussion, … Yep, just got banned from PSN.Bans are normally permanent, no discussion, end of. Sony generally won't disclose the reason either, and all purchases made with that account lost forever (which I struggle to believe can be legal, despite what any T&C's say).So we have been going out of our minds the last few hours, trying to understand why. Anyway, I have a little hope now I have seen this news. although I still don't know how they can justify an automatic and irreversible ban, and loss of all those purchases without warning, just for one small payment issue.If this is not sorted quickly, this is absolutely the final straw and we will be selling up and switching to Xbox. Might anyway TBH, nothing but problems with PS4/Sony.

Also, please don't ever assume any of these situation is PayPal's fault at all. It's all Sony's.
Banned I'm pleased I read this as I thought I was being scammed or done something wrong
mixmixi

Also, please don't ever assume any of these situation is PayPal's fault … Also, please don't ever assume any of these situation is PayPal's fault at all. It's all Sony's.

That's a really strange response to what I wrote. Firstly, clearly I didn't.

But why can I NEVER assume it was Paypal? How do you know that it wasn't? And even if it wasn't in this case, how do you that it could never be an issue at the Paypal end in future?
Edited by: "autopilot" 29th Jun 2017
autopilot

That's a really strange response to what I wrote. Firstly, clearly I … That's a really strange response to what I wrote. Firstly, clearly I didn't. But why can I NEVER assume it was Paypal? How do you know that it wasn't? And even if it wasn't in this case, how do you that it could never be an issue at the Paypal end in future?

How? Well... maybe because it was "sarcasm"
mixmixi

Wow, massive sarcasm radar failure. Sorry!

In my defence, I have just come from reading a thread on Reddit, where people write such things seriously without a hint of sarcasm.
Edited by: "autopilot" 29th Jun 2017
autopilot

Wow, massive sarcasm radar failure. Sorry!In my defence, I have just come … Wow, massive sarcasm radar failure. Sorry!In my defence, I have just come from reading a thread on Reddit, where people write such things seriously without a hint of sarcasm.

Wrong forum mate. This is Hot UK Banter not Reddit. (joking)
A few weeks ago my PSN was hacked and the hackers used my attached PayPal account to buy FIFA points.

I started a chargeback myself, detached my PayPal account and got Sony to clear it all up after spending a lot of time on the phone with them. New password created and now, lesson learned, no form of payment attached to my PSN.
mixmixi

Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt

I copied that from somewhere as I couldn't think of a better response. oO X)
autopilot

Yep, just got banned from PSN.Bans are normally permanent, no discussion, … Yep, just got banned from PSN.Bans are normally permanent, no discussion, end of. Sony generally won't disclose the reason either, and all purchases made with that account lost forever (which I struggle to believe can be legal, despite what any T&C's say).So we have been going out of our minds the last few hours, trying to understand why. Anyway, I have a little hope now I have seen this news. although I still don't know how they can justify an automatic and irreversible ban, and loss of all those purchases without warning, just for one small payment issue.If this is not sorted quickly, this is absolutely the final straw and we will be selling up and switching to Xbox. Might anyway TBH, nothing but problems with PS4/Sony.

You don't own downloads you rent them they remain the property of the company
I have 2 pending paypal transactions from the 18th june
Covert.Recon

A few weeks ago my PSN was hacked and the hackers used my attached PayPal … A few weeks ago my PSN was hacked and the hackers used my attached PayPal account to buy FIFA points.I started a chargeback myself, detached my PayPal account and got Sony to clear it all up after spending a lot of time on the phone with them. New password created and now, lesson learned, no form of payment attached to my PSN.

Hacked or did you game share?

Even tho you have now created a new password, have you activated the 2-step verification??

If not then do so ASAP!!

Link

Not teaching you how to suck eggs, but every time you make a purchase on PSN using paypal. Make sure when the transaction is complete to delete paypal from your PSN account so its not linked.
Edited by: "ThugBasher" 30th Jun 2017
my psn got banned for exact same reason ,reversal of paypal payment which i have no knowledge of nor did i authorise and claim any chargebacks,something has gone wrong between paypal and sony as my payments cleared on the 25th june and a sudden reversal of payment email from paypal on 29th came through,thereafter immediatly while online the ban popped up on screen
Edited by: "hafizmi67" 30th Jun 2017
I'm expecting this to happen to me, the payments are still "pending", but I suppose it's just a matter of time.
Hacked buddy, never had gameshare with anyone. Did have one day without antivirus when one product expired before I bought a different one.

Yep, two step on now. As I say, no payment attached any more. I rarely buy digital at all on PS4 so no point.
INDUSTRYHATER16 h, 27 m ago

My sister has been banned for a returned payment from a couple of weeks …My sister has been banned for a returned payment from a couple of weeks ago. She now can't access any digital games, it kind of puts me off buying digital when I could potentially lose them all for reasons out of my control

​Ring sony ask why there has been a ban and if it's due to a charge back they'll ask for the funds and unlock the account.
kos1c

Ring sony ask why there has been a ban and if it's due to a charge back … Ring sony ask why there has been a ban and if it's due to a charge back they'll ask for the funds and unlock the account.

The ban has now been lifted without the need to contact Sony :). Hope everyone else who has been affected are now sorted
INDUSTRYHATER

The ban has now been lifted without the need to contact Sony :). Hope … The ban has now been lifted without the need to contact Sony :). Hope everyone else who has been affected are now sorted

Any news on an explanation?
Nothing at all, I'm surprised really.
psn took a payment from my bank without permission. Maybe part of the same glitch
albo726 h, 11 m ago

psn took a payment from my bank without permission. Maybe part of the same …psn took a payment from my bank without permission. Maybe part of the same glitch

had you tried to pay by Paypal? I have a card on file, wondering if it'll just attempt to take payment from that once Paypal cancels.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants