Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

PayPal on gumtree safe??

Posted 16th Feb
Just after some advice....
I'm selling my iPhone on gumtree and someone has offered more than the asking price for me to send direct to them by post. They want to pay by PayPal.
Sounds too good to be true to get offered more than I am asking...
Any thoughts...
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Scam, you will lose the money + the phone
Edited by: "Buckyball" 16th Feb
56 Comments
If you receive the amount on PayPal then withdrawal it to your bank and then it’ll be legit
What exactly have they Said in message ?
You get a lot of jokers
Who offer the asking price and like offer say £30 for postage (which is extreme) for postage
Edited by: "abdul5" 16th Feb
Yes I guess if it will let me withdraw it straight away then it should be fine.
I'm asking 370 and they've offered 420 delivered in UK.
On the invoice on pay Pal -should write the IMEI number and state no warranty or refunds will be given
Personally I’d do cash on collection
Lots of PayPal scammers on gumtree
Most people would haggle atleast
Ask if they’ll pay by friends & family
Scam, you will lose the money + the phone
Edited by: "Buckyball" 16th Feb
If it sounds too good to be true.....
Would never do PayPal on gumtree. So many Dodgers. If it's too good to be true..
lol you will get scammed.

Expect it to be returned back to you without the phone inside the package.

Tell them its BACS only.
I wouldn’t touch it. Ask for bank transfer instead if you must do it, otherwise it’s cash on collection only.
Ahhh Gumtree! Tried to sell a few things recently, more scammers than legit buyers. Cash only. Try FB Marketplace, at least you can see the profile.
Save yourself the hassle, sell it locally on fb marketplace instead.
D3LL80Y16/02/2020 16:04

If you receive the amount on PayPal then withdrawal it to your bank and …If you receive the amount on PayPal then withdrawal it to your bank and then it’ll be legit

It can still be reversed and puts your PayPal account into a negative balance.

Honestly as someone who sells on Gumtree a fair bit 95% of people offering PayPal for goods are scammers. Just tell them bank transfer only, if they are a scammer you won't hear from them again.
I’ve had this before, scammers, once it’s arrived they say it’s damaged, then claim back from PayPal,
I wouldn’t risk it
Speedsurfer16/02/2020 16:25

It can still be reversed and puts your PayPal account into a negative …It can still be reversed and puts your PayPal account into a negative balance.Honestly as someone who sells on Gumtree a fair bit 95% of people offering PayPal for goods are scammers. Just tell them bank transfer only, if they are a scammer you won't hear from them again.

Oh is it I thought once it gets to your bank then it’s safe. Gumtree is certainly made for cash sales. I only sell on eBay and don’t get problems
Edited by: "D3LL80Y" 16th Feb

If you receive the amount on PayPal then withdrawal it to your bank and …If you receive the amount on PayPal then withdrawal it to your bank and then it’ll be legit

No it won’t it’ll still be possible for the buyer to claim they haven’t received and claim the money back leaving you with no phone and no money.
georgeb16/02/2020 16:06

Yes I guess if it will let me withdraw it straight away then it should be …Yes I guess if it will let me withdraw it straight away then it should be fine.I'm asking 370 and they've offered 420 delivered in UK.

Don’t do it it’s a SCAM.
MrWalle16/02/2020 16:44

Don’t do it it’s a SCAM.

Thanks for all the advice. I've decided not to do it.. Sounds too dodgy.. too good to be true! Doesn't make sense to pay more than you have to.
Thanks again.
georgeb16/02/2020 16:46

Thanks for all the advice. I've decided not to do it.. Sounds too dodgy.. …Thanks for all the advice. I've decided not to do it.. Sounds too dodgy.. too good to be true! Doesn't make sense to pay more than you have to. Thanks again.

That’s how they get you.
I had it before with a car where they were overseas etc and a friend could pick it up blah blah so I advised on viewing it first and gave them the address of the local Police station. Strangely I never heard back
MrWalle16/02/2020 16:41

No it won’t it’ll still be possible for the buyer to claim they haven’t rec …No it won’t it’ll still be possible for the buyer to claim they haven’t received and claim the money back leaving you with no phone and no money.

Fair enough, I only use PayPal on eBay in which they protect you. Best to meet in person and use cash for gumtree
Flags should have been up soon as they offered an extra £50 for delivery
As mentioned above as for a bank transfer

Bad advice, they can get it refunded and you are left with a minus account which PayPal will recover unless you plan on not using PayPal ever again.
Surely someone offering more than asking price is telling you in coded language that 'I AM GOING TO SCAM YOU HAHAHAHAHAHA'
Edited by: "Gollywood" 16th Feb
Get them too send you payment via say western union or azimo, where you have too go too a collection point and get the money then send the phone. I think that should work out for you.
MynameisM16/02/2020 17:21

Bad advice, they can get it refunded and you are left with a minus account …Bad advice, they can get it refunded and you are left with a minus account which PayPal will recover unless you plan on not using PayPal ever again.

I have been told twice already allow me
D3LL80Y16/02/2020 17:29

I have been told twice already allow me

Sorry I didn't read through the full list before commenting, I think I should do this in future as most of the time the someone else has said the same thing .
JumpMan198016/02/2020 16:09

Ask if they’ll pay by friends & family

as far as i understand this means that the payer has sent you money as a gift rather than exchange for goods and services. so effectively they have gifted the money to a friend or a family member so they can not raise a dispute with paypal and claim the money back.

i have never tried this and i would still feel uncomfortable accepting money this way. from the buyer's perspective, this would be no different to paying you by faster payment direct to your bank so i would ask him for a payment direct to your bank then you don't have paypal sticking their nose in it.

Thanks for all the advice. I've decided not to do it.. Sounds too dodgy.. …Thanks for all the advice. I've decided not to do it.. Sounds too dodgy.. too good to be true! Doesn't make sense to pay more than you have to. Thanks again.

I'm sure they can claim that it was broken on arrival for example and get their money back and keep the phone!
georgeb16/02/2020 16:06

Yes I guess if it will let me withdraw it straight away then it should be …Yes I guess if it will let me withdraw it straight away then it should be fine.I'm asking 370 and they've offered 420 delivered in UK.

It'll be fine.
Strangely enough since declining the offer from the first person I've now had 3 other offers off different people all wanting to pay by PayPal and me post it out - obviously a common SCAM

It's a very common scam. You will receive an email confirming payment.
It will be a fake email
No

Is the answer to your question.
Why would you not be a scammer these days?
There's absolutely zero chance of being busted. The Police are not even remotely interested. Action Fraud will only investigate if the loss is in 5 figures. The online platforms do ABSOLUTELY nothing to control it. There is a group of vehicles which have been posted weekly on Ebay for the last 3 months, all Scams, I had a long chat with eBay and they said there is nothing they can do to prevent the repeat offenders! Amazon Marketplace is chock full of counterfeit items, do they get stopped? No. It really makes me angry that we have become like an online lawless wild west. Grrrr! That's it I'm only going to buy genuine knock off at the car boot from now on.
I remember hearing that only, greedy people can get scammed. If they offered you what you'd listed it for, you'd never have been interested, but when you thought you could get more money then, and only then, were you interested.

This is a regular scam on gumtree, they've been trying it for year's. Cash on collection only. Sell to the first person who arrives with the cash.
Take the money. Don’t send the phone.
airbus33016/02/2020 23:47

Why would you not be a scammer these days?There's absolutely zero chance …Why would you not be a scammer these days?There's absolutely zero chance of being busted. The Police are not even remotely interested. Action Fraud will only investigate if the loss is in 5 figures. The online platforms do ABSOLUTELY nothing to control it. There is a group of vehicles which have been posted weekly on Ebay for the last 3 months, all Scams, I had a long chat with eBay and they said there is nothing they can do to prevent the repeat offenders! Amazon Marketplace is chock full of counterfeit items, do they get stopped? No. It really makes me angry that we have become like an online lawless wild west. Grrrr! That's it I'm only going to buy genuine knock off at the car boot from now on.

Let’s start a vigilante group; the scam scammers
JumpMan198017/02/2020 08:41

Let’s start a vigilante group; the scam scammers

The scammer scams!?
I'm SO pleased to see you made the 'wise' choice, georgeb. As soon as I read the thread title I thought "Nooooo!" I've been through this myself this week too. It's getting a regular occurrence with Gumtree.

I've actually been wondering recently about the old 'forgotten' payment method - the cheque. I wonder if any of these people would trust enough to send a cheque - and wait for it to clear - before dispatching the item? That's how we all used to do it in the dark ages before t'internet! Or to think of it - postal orders? Haven't used them in many, many years...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants