Paypal protection, outside of ebay

7 replies
Found 17th Aug 2009
If I were to arrange with an ebay seller to buy one of their items outside of ebay so they didn't have to pay the final value fee, what protection would I get if buying with paypal?

I have approached a seller about this (not the other way around), so both I and him can save a few quid (i pay 10% less and he still makes the same).
I was thinking it'd probably be ok if i paid through paypal with a mastercard, for maximum protection?
Any thoughts?

6 Comments

[size="7"]none At All[/size]

dont do it

Original Poster

None? Not even the ability to file a dispute if not received?

It'd be normal paypal, not gift btw

Edit: just been reading the Paypal buyer protection policy which states i'd only be able to get the money back if it was in their account. No good if they empty it out regularly..
Hmmm. what to do..

Banned

You have protection... its not just for ebay(consumer protection law)

Follow link

paypal.com/cgi…ta:

Original Poster

RUDOLF;6039843

You have protection... its not just for ebay(consumer protection … You have protection... its not just for ebay(consumer protection law)Follow linkhttps://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing_CommandDriven/general/PBPInfo-outside:santa:

Just been looking at the same thing. It'd be a bit of a risk for sure (same as doing business here I guess) as Paypal would only refund if the seller had the money in their account.

Now looking into how chargebacks work and if I cuold do one if the item never turned up...

P.s. rep for all so far, thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Original Poster

vinylandtrinkets;6040227

paypal said it themselves on watchdog before christmas that consumers … paypal said it themselves on watchdog before christmas that consumers have no protection outside of ebay using thier paypal accounts.if you are buying something on ebay always use paypal. even if you try and do a chargeback if the item didnt arrive or was faulty there is still the possiblilty you will lose your money

This isn't looking like such a good idea now!

Thanks for your info, will leave rep shortly
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What is gearbest like on warranty?45
    2. active noise cancelling headphones21
    3. Blog advice please33
    4. Best site to buy a domain11

See more discussions