Found 26th Dec 2016
I bought some items from broadbandbuyer on my paypal account. it was a sterling transaction to a UK based company totalling £92.90. I have a fee of £1.50.

why have i got this as it's funded off my bank account in sterling ? I will ask paypal when they are about.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
9 Comments

How were you informed of the charge? Be careful of dodgy emails.

Original Poster

kirkatronics

How were you informed of the charge? Be careful of dodgy emails.

yes. it was an email that look genuine but I won't click on it.

Lorian

Possibly an occurrence of … Possibly an occurrence of thishttp://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2010/02/new-debit-card-holders-hit-with-mystery-charges

A report from nearly 7 years ago though, I would have thought that would have been fixed?!

if the OP has some card with new 4 digits....

Beware some firms do accept Paypal but charge you for using this option. sometimes a set fee or a percentage. Zavvi are one such company they charge 1% of the total amount, however they should show this when you checkout.

Original Poster

It is strange as I often use that card an it's my first fee.

jonnithomas

It is strange as I often use that card an it's my first fee.

It has nothing to do with your bank card...Paypal is an intermediary service the company you buy from never sees what bank card you are using and that is why lots of people use Paypal for that security. However Paypal do charge the companies as indeed I know personally because I sell on Ebay (on Ebay I get charged 3.4% plus 20p per transaction). Some companies absorb the charge completely others pass on some of the charge in either a set fee or a percentage of the sale to the customer. That I suspect is why you were charged a £1.50 fee that has nothing to do with the card you used and probably a charge by the company you bought from for paying via Paypal. If you'd used your bank card directly with them maybe the charge would not have applied.

Original Poster

silva21

It has nothing to do with your bank card...Paypal is an intermediary … It has nothing to do with your bank card...Paypal is an intermediary service the company you buy from never sees what bank card you are using and that is why lots of people use Paypal for that security. However Paypal do charge the companies as indeed I know personally because I sell on Ebay (on Ebay I get charged 3.4% plus 20p per transaction). Some companies absorb the charge completely others pass on some of the charge in either a set fee or a percentage of the sale to the customer. That I suspect is why you were charged a £1.50 fee that has nothing to do with the card you used and probably a charge by the company you bought from for paying via Paypal. If you'd used your bank card directly with them maybe the charge would not have applied.

that's what I thought was probably the case but surely they should tell you before ?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21113
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769538
    3. Highway code and use of indicators (or lack thereof)4177
    4. Anyone else bored of video gaming2642

See more discussions