PayPal refund/fees

Posted 29th Aug
I sold an item on eBay asking for cash on collection, but the buyer paid by PayPal, seems genuine but I wanted to avoid the fees?
If I refund him do I get the PayPal fees back? Looks like I might not? Doesn’t seem very clear on PayPal.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
BalooCrimson29/08/2020 07:53

Still doesn't mean they have to, that's not how eBay works

That is how it works, what are you talking about. If seller asks for cash on collection, you pay cash on collection or look elsewhere. We all know the scam paying by PayPal then coming to collect the goods then seller has no proof of delivery.
28 Comments
Charge buyer the fees if their mistake costs you any money. That may teach them to read the ad more carefully in future!
Hang on it’s not the fridge freezer I’m due to pick up in an hour is it
Jump_Out_Gang29/08/2020 07:50

Charge buyer the fees if their mistake costs you any money. That may teach …Charge buyer the fees if their mistake costs you any money. That may teach them to read the ad more carefully in future!

They didn't make a mistake
BalooCrimson29/08/2020 07:51

They didn't make a mistake

They paid by PayPal despite seller request for cash upon collection?
Jump_Out_Gang29/08/2020 07:53

They paid by PayPal despite seller request for cash upon collection?

Also PayPal fee is 3% surely that doesn't affect you

They may not ‘have to’ but they may have thought to contact seller & highlight their wish to pay their way rather than sellers way giving seller opportunity to tell them to go away .. a sentiment I can entirely understand right now
Jump_Out_Gang29/08/2020 07:57

They may not ‘have to’ but they may have thought to contact seller & hig …They may not ‘have to’ but they may have thought to contact seller & highlight their wish to pay their way rather than sellers way giving seller opportunity to tell them to go away .. a sentiment I can entirely understand right now

Pure waffle
Fees are payable by seller even if payment refunded. It's the PayPal scam lol with its own thread hotukdeals.com/dis…627 but still cheaper than a non-receipt claim resulting in refund + no return.
I refunded and in my PayPal acc it says fee reversal and doesn’t seem to have charged me.

That is how it works, what are you talking about. If seller asks for cash on collection, you pay cash on collection or look elsewhere. We all know the scam paying by PayPal then coming to collect the goods then seller has no proof of delivery.
MR112329/08/2020 09:05

That is how it works, what are you talking about. If seller asks for cash …That is how it works, what are you talking about. If seller asks for cash on collection, you pay cash on collection or look elsewhere. We all know the scam paying by PayPal then coming to collect the goods then seller has no proof of delivery.

No matter what the seller writes in the description you still have the option to pay with PayPal
BalooCrimson29/08/2020 09:09

No matter what the seller writes in the description you still have the …No matter what the seller writes in the description you still have the option to pay with PayPal

Yes option is the key word.
I wouldn't blame the buyer so quickly. Typically, you win an item, see the notification saying Pay Now and the default option is PayPal. Cash on Collection is not a habit for most eBay buyers and PayPal gets used reflexively.

On a related note, eBay now offers a code based proof of delivery for collection items, similar to the Click & Collect service. link
BalooCrimson29/08/2020 09:09

No matter what the seller writes in the description you still have the …No matter what the seller writes in the description you still have the option to pay with PayPal

Only because ebay force a seller to accept paypal, even when you select cash on collection option when you list.

btw OP, you did lose some of your fees 20/30p. If you look at how much you actually received after fees, when you went to refund the payment, paypal will take more out than they put in.
bozo00729/08/2020 09:14

I wouldn't blame the buyer so quickly. Typically, you win an item, see the …I wouldn't blame the buyer so quickly. Typically, you win an item, see the notification saying Pay Now and the default option is PayPal. Cash on Collection is not a habit for most eBay buyers and PayPal gets used reflexively.On a related note, eBay now offers a code based proof of delivery for collection items, similar to the Click & Collect service. link

I even had a chap in my house who agreed to buy something, told him to buy the item on ebay but not pay with paypal, he paid with paypal! Donut.
MR112329/08/2020 09:05

That is how it works, what are you talking about. If seller asks for cash …That is how it works, what are you talking about. If seller asks for cash on collection, you pay cash on collection or look elsewhere. We all know the scam paying by PayPal then coming to collect the goods then seller has no proof of delivery.

there is now a qr code seller can scan when buyer collects.
To answer your original question, assuming you're paying the standard Paypal fee rate of 3.4% + 20p, then if you give a refund you will get the 3.4% back but Paypal will keep the 20p, which seems fair enough to me.
Not quite sure what the policy is with PayPal but definitely seem to have the fees refunded.
AMaky29/08/2020 09:21

there is now a qr code seller can scan when buyer collects.

Is the PayPal terms changed to reflect this?
If you refund, all the money goes back to them - no one loses anything
Isn't it possible to set a condition of cash only in the item listing? If you allowed PayPal then it's not the buyers mistake. One reason paying by PayPal is good for the buyer is, there's automatic proof of payment.
ali1319629/08/2020 10:06

If you refund, all the money goes back to them - no one loses anything

Not true, the buyer gets all their money back but the seller doesn't get all the fees refunded, see my earlier comment.
Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 29th Aug
Delbert.Grady29/08/2020 10:24

Not true, the buyer gets all their money back but the seller doesn't get …Not true, the buyer gets all their money back but the seller doesn't get all the fees refunded, see my comment above.

I've Been refunded many times and have refunded, never experienced
ali1319629/08/2020 10:25

The rules changed a few months ago.
ali1319629/08/2020 10:25

They changed their policy earlier this year and this is what it now says on their website, though I admit I haven't refunded anyone recently so haven't tried it;

Will I get my transaction fee back?

If you refund a payment, we’ll retain the fixed portion of the fee you were charged when you received the payment. We’re not charging a fee for the refund, but simply retaining the fee, which has already been collected from your PayPal account.

Example:
  • A buyer sends £100 to a seller
  • Assuming the seller is on the standard fee rate (3.4% plus 20p), the seller receives £96.40 into their PayPal account
  • The seller later decides to issue a full refund to the buyer
  • During the refund, PayPal credits the merchant £3.40
  • The buyer receives a full refund of £100.
splatsplatsplat29/08/2020 09:17

I even had a chap in my house who agreed to buy something, told him to buy …I even had a chap in my house who agreed to buy something, told him to buy the item on ebay but not pay with paypal, he paid with paypal! Donut.

That chap seems quite shrewd, on the basis he would likely win any subsequent PayPal claim by default; legitimate claim or not.
AndyRoyd29/08/2020 14:05

That chap seems quite shrewd, on the basis he would likely win any …That chap seems quite shrewd, on the basis he would likely win any subsequent PayPal claim by default; legitimate claim or not.

I refunded him there and then and asked for cash. Not playing that game, I'd rather lose 20p fee than the item.
Post a comment
@
    Text