Paypal restricting account as its reached the near amount of £1900 , something to do with money laundering . HELP!!!!

Found 17th Apr 2015
PayPal is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening the accounts in our system. We recently reviewed your account, and we need more information to help us provide you with a secure service. We would like to return your account to regular standing as soon as possible. We apologise for the inconvenience.

13 Apr 2015: You have received £**** or more in total payments to your PayPal account in this calendar year and are therefore approaching our annual receiving limit of £1,900. PayPal is required by law to comply with European Union Anti-Money Laundering regulations by collecting information from customers when they receive more than £1,900 in total payments within a calendar year. Please go to the Resolution Centre for more information on what you need to do.

I have checked and they are asking for proof of documents of my address and id , i dont think i could have made the near amount , i have googled and seen people mentioning HMRC can someone help as i am not a busines but just sell the odd items
Community Updates
Ask
33 Comments
What are you asking for exactly and why don't you just supply the information they are wanting?
Jimmy Carr's accountant?
Is it definitely from Paypal and not a phishing email?
login to paypal directly and check there. If there is a hold on your account it will show. If not then it could be a phishing email. Dont click on any links.

This happened to us a few years back when we had a lot of refunds and payments because we were messed around on a sale.
Original Poster

Comment

MichyM

login to paypal directly and check there. If there is a hold on your … login to paypal directly and check there. If there is a hold on your account it will show. If not then it could be a phishing email. Dont click on any links.This happened to us a few years back when we had a lot of refunds and payments because we were messed around on a sale.

I had no email but iv loged in paypal in the morning and the message was there after i called customer service they asked for proof and that is showing on my account before they just wanted me to select if im a sole trader a business etc . I did have a issue with a buyer who wanted a refund which i did not give as it was there fault so they left me negative feedback and ebay removed as they knew seller was wrong could the buyer had triggered this ?
amzzzzyyyy

CommentI had no email but iv loged in paypal in the morning and the … CommentI had no email but iv loged in paypal in the morning and the message was there after i called customer service they asked for proof and that is showing on my account before they just wanted me to select if im a sole trader a business etc . I did have a issue with a buyer who wanted a refund which i did not give as it was there fault so they left me negative feedback and ebay removed as they knew seller was wrong could the buyer had triggered this ?

No its triggered by you coming close to that limit, as mentioned about supply PayPal with documents requested to lift the ban, but you may want to think about changing your account type from personal to business (sole trader as they recommended) as you get higher limits for those. Or speak to PayPal about if that limit can be raised for personal which they may do after you provide the information. Have you been using PayPal long for selling? As I encountered this in the early days of opening the PayPal
Original Poster

Comment

londonlad19

No its triggered by you coming close to that limit, as mentioned about … No its triggered by you coming close to that limit, as mentioned about supply PayPal with documents requested to lift the ban, but you may want to think about changing your account type from personal to business (sole trader as they recommended) as you get higher limits for those. Or speak to PayPal about if that limit can be raised for personal which they may do after you provide the information. Have you been using PayPal long for selling? As I encountered this in the early days of opening the PayPal

Its just been 6 months i think
Original Poster

Comment

missleading

Either send verification documents to lift limits or close Paypal account … Either send verification documents to lift limits or close Paypal account and re-open account to reset limits for another year.

Could this be done ? Also does any one have an idea do i have to tell hmrc
if your selling like a business then you would no doubt need to tell hmrc. better to tell them or run the risk of them finding you?

if its private sales of like odd items not bulk then id assume your ok for example selling 10 of the one item might be classed as business
This is normal, simply submit the required documents and you will have an unlimited limit.
Check the email address where you have got this from happened to me was a scam at attempting to get my details report to PayPal they will tell you if its legitimate
Original Poster

Comment

naz_1uk

Check the email address where you have got this from happened to me was a … Check the email address where you have got this from happened to me was a scam at attempting to get my details report to PayPal they will tell you if its legitimate

I didnt receive an email but its on my paypal when i login
Original Poster
Has this happen to anyone else and what happen after you submit details
I had this problem when I tried to withdraw grand national winnings by PayPal. Just send them id and proof of address and it will be unlocked within the day. They email you when it has been sorted.
Original Poster

Comment

donny1266

I had this problem when I tried to withdraw grand national winnings by … I had this problem when I tried to withdraw grand national winnings by PayPal. Just send them id and proof of address and it will be unlocked within the day. They email you when it has been sorted.

Did this not effect you hmrc
amzzzzyyyy

CommentDid this not effect you hmrc

You don't pay tax on gambling winnings if you reside in the UK.
amzzzzyyyy

CommentCould this be done ? Also does any one have an idea do i have to … CommentCould this be done ? Also does any one have an idea do i have to tell hmrc

If you are trading you will need to register with hmrc and pay tax etc. There is loads of info online.

One example

hmrc.gov.uk/gui…htm
Original Poster

Comment

ibblackberry1

If you are trading you will need to register with hmrc and pay tax etc. … If you are trading you will need to register with hmrc and pay tax etc. There is loads of info online. One example http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/selling/examples.htm

Do i have to give them invoice of items price etc and post ofice dleivery slips ?
amzzzzyyyy

Comment Do i have to give them invoice of items price etc and post ofice … Comment Do i have to give them invoice of items price etc and post ofice dleivery slips ?

If you are trading you need to prepare account and lodge a tax return . if you are not classed as trading you don't need to do anything.

Did you read the examples and hmrc website? Are you trading?
Original Poster

Comment

ibblackberry1

If you are trading you need to prepare account and lodge a tax return . … If you are trading you need to prepare account and lodge a tax return . if you are not classed as trading you don't need to do anything.Did you read the examples and hmrc website? Are you trading?

Yes i did read , i bought items and sold for 20£ more profit and some items that i had at home as unwanted gifts but i regurly sold the same products with 20£ or more profit so am i classed as a trader
amzzzzyyyy

CommentYes i did read , i bought items and sold for 20£ more profit and … CommentYes i did read , i bought items and sold for 20£ more profit and some items that i had at home as unwanted gifts but i regurly sold the same products with 20£ or more profit so am i classed as a trader

Sounds like you are. You bought items with the intention to sell on for a profit. HMRC will give you the details, go to the self employed pages for various details and answers to standard questions.

Original Poster

Comment

ibblackberry1

Sounds like you are. You bought items with the intention to sell on for a … Sounds like you are. You bought items with the intention to sell on for a profit. HMRC will give you the details, go to the self employed pages for various details and answers to standard questions.

But when i take out ebay fees aypal n delivry cost i dont think there is much as the example you have given it states.

She is systematically selling her goods to make a profit. She will need to inform HMRC about her trade, and keep records of all her transactions. On the level of sales shown in the example the potential turnover of around £26,000 is well below the VAT annual threshold so Gail does not need to register for VAT.

Couod you explain what it meand by vat annual threshold thanks
amzzzzyyyy

CommentBut when i take out ebay fees aypal n delivry cost i dont think … CommentBut when i take out ebay fees aypal n delivry cost i dont think there is much as the example you have given it states. She is systematically selling her goods to make a profit. She will need to inform HMRC about her trade, and keep records of all her transactions. On the level of sales shown in the example the potential turnover of around £26,000 is well below the VAT annual threshold so Gail does not need to register for VAT.Couod you explain what it meand by vat annual threshold thanks

Ignore any reference to vat, doesn't affect you. Profit or loss made doesn't affect whether I are trading or not.
Original Poster

Comment

ibblackberry1

Ignore any reference to vat, doesn't affect you. Profit or loss made … Ignore any reference to vat, doesn't affect you. Profit or loss made doesn't affect whether I are trading or not.

Sorry so i dont pay vat? Your last message confused me
Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Paypal restricted my account even though i was only a buyer saying i reached my limit but was far from it. And being a buyer i never sold on ebay. But they wouldnt listen first confirm phone no, passed then they moved the restriction to confirm address by them sending a letter with a pin, Then it was bank account confirmation, then it moved to forward a passport and utility bill id copy. Finally after all this they lifted the restriction took months. Google searched it an it was all over the internet about paypals restrictions, But like most people said they dont really have a competitor and they own that sector of the market so its do or live without. I tried using my sisters account to make a payment on my ebay account and guess what her account went straight into restriction to with the same questions i was getting
Original Poster

Comment

kash2013

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Paypal restricted my … Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Paypal restricted my account even though i was only a buyer saying i reached my limit but was far from it. And being a buyer i never sold on ebay. But they wouldnt listen first confirm phone no, passed then they moved the restriction to confirm address by them sending a letter with a pin, Then it was bank account confirmation, then it moved to forward a passport and utility bill id copy. Finally after all this they lifted the restriction took months. Google searched it an it was all over the internet about paypals restrictions, But like most people said they dont really have a competitor and they own that sector of the market so its do or live without. I tried using my sisters account to make a payment on my ebay account and guess what her account went straight into restriction to with the same questions i was getting

Wtf
After reading all the comments on here, the impression im getting is you just need to provide the id they're after and there's not going to be anymore issue's if you dont carry on doing what your doing. You are acting like a trader and therefore should be registered with hmrc, However like you say yourself after paypal, ebay and postage fees on £1900 there's not much left and you wouldnt pay any tax anyway on so little, so you shouldn't pop up on there radar, you are unlikely to be persued if you just stop now. If you intend to carry on get registered as self employed and submit tax returns in future, Pay your tax's.
Original Poster

Comment

Moonwolf1976

After reading all the comments on here, the impression im getting is … After reading all the comments on here, the impression im getting is you just need to provide the id they're after and there's not going to be anymore issue's if you dont carry on doing what your doing. You are acting like a trader and therefore should be registered with hmrc, However like you say yourself after paypal, ebay and postage fees on £1900 there's not much left and you wouldnt pay any tax anyway on so little, so you shouldn't pop up on there radar, you are unlikely to be persued if you just stop now. If you intend to carry on get registered as self employed and submit tax returns in future, Pay your tax's.

Iv googled and searcjed and what it comes up is that when i click soletrader its more chances for hmrc to see im selling etc so it means i need to pay tax when would i do this, this june and if so do i supply proof or not ? And how much tax would i pay jus thinkinh about this makes me wanna quit now
happened to me but I am only buying items.
Self assessment is relatively straight forward.

HOWEVER

From the apparent nievity of your questions and lack of clear understanding of your situation and the bare basics of running a business, I'd recommend you seek the advice of an accountant

Its unlikely you'll have to pay additional tax (depends on other income and if you're claiming benefits too who might also need to be notified) but you have to declare your income in full

The £100 or so it will costs for an accountant, will be more than worth it for you
Banned
okay. if you are a sole trader you need to tell hmrc as you need to pay NI if you have a profit of £5880 a year.

am i a sole trader? google "badges of trade"

you also have to do a tax return once a year. You need to keep records of all sells etc. no one can tell you how much tax you pay as we would need all your income figures.

Edited by: "cokezone1112" 18th Apr 2015
Original Poster

Comment

cokezone1112

okay. if you are a sole trader you need to tell hmrc as you need to pay … okay. if you are a sole trader you need to tell hmrc as you need to pay NI if you have a profit of £5880 a year. am i a sole trader? google "badges of trade" you also have to do a tax return once a year. You need to keep records of all sells etc. no one can tell you how much tax you pay as we would need all your income figures.

I have less profit then £5880 its been abt 9 months and i must have made near 1900 acording to paypal well some hundreds left to reach that
If you sell a large amount in a few months so if you you sold £1000 in six months it would stil raise a red flag

Just answer the questions or open another account using a different bank account
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants