PayPal scam advice please

Posted 12th Jun 2020
Just wondering whether this has happened to anybody...
I was selling some paint on Shpock and a man came to collect, he paid for it by PayPal goods and services as he was at my door, I gave him the paint and off he went... just wondering if there was any way he could claim the money back through PayPal as there is no real proof that he collected the paint??

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
Yup he can charge back
It's possible for him. Whenever selling on collection, take cash. I've had people try pay through PayPal with me. Even when they don't apparently look like scammy individuals, when they get home behind a computer, they try their best.
Hopefully he doesn't open a case.
Do you have CCTV footage?
Edited by: "expandingmaan" 12th Jun
He could claim that it hasn’t arrived, hopefully you’ll have cctv or a ring video doorbell.
expandingmaan12/06/2020 14:14

It's possible for him. Whenever selling on collection, take cash. I've had …It's possible for him. Whenever selling on collection, take cash. I've had people try pay through PayPal with me. Even when they don't apparently look like scammy individuals, when they get home behind a computer, they try their best.Hopefully he doesn't open a case. Do you have CCTV footage?

I took a picture of him driving off, as soon as I closed the door I realised how naive ive been, I’ve got his pic on WhatsApp and the messages he’s sent me about being on the way etc, I’ve got his address on PayPal as he paid goods and services. Also he told me he was travelling an hour to get the paint, just put the PayPal address into maps and it’s saying 3 hours 30 mins away
N29V12P9312/06/2020 14:17

I took a picture of him driving off, as soon as I closed the door I …I took a picture of him driving off, as soon as I closed the door I realised how naive ive been, I’ve got his pic on WhatsApp and the messages he’s sent me about being on the way etc, I’ve got his address on PayPal as he paid goods and services. Also he told me he was travelling an hour to get the paint, just put the PayPal address into maps and it’s saying 3 hours 30 mins away

Maybe he wasnt coming from the address that is on there you may be lucky he may of just of wanted a contactless method and will not charge back friends and family payment would of been better for your security though though
Hopefully he doesn't open a case. I guess let's assume the best in the buyer. Not everyone out there is looking to scam.

But if you do get scammed, think of it as a worthy life lesson at the expensive of some paint.
I've been scammed before, I learnt my lesson lol
at least u can hand his name photo and registration number to the police
Absolute anxiety, when he does act accordingly.
There has been a lot of discussion on scams with ebay etc recently. The only ways you are safe is if its cash on collection or if you have it on video, like someone said above using doorbell cam or cctv
If he does call is bluff and say you’ve pictures of him collecting said paint.
Not everyone is dodgy. Anyway how much are we talking here? A few quid or hundreds?
You will be fine don’t worry
deleted1105004
If he does (not saying he will) tell him your ring doorbell has the whole transaction on camera and unless he drops the chargeback you’ll be forwarding his details to the police. Attach the photos you took. The case will be dropped.
Thanks everyone!!! Much appreciated!!!
Send him another Whatsapp message along the lines of: Good to meet you earlier when you collected the paint and hope you got home OK.

If you are lucky, he will reply and you will also have your (additional) proof.
not everybody is dodgy, the media has scared us all senseless
allowed12/06/2020 17:49

Agreed, but for a seller, it only takes one buyer to suffer a financial loss. I refuse to accept anything other than cash or a bank transfer made in front of me for any in person sale.
HappyShopper12/06/2020 17:24

Send him another Whatsapp message along the lines of: Good to meet you …Send him another Whatsapp message along the lines of: Good to meet you earlier when you collected the paint and hope you got home OK.If you are lucky, he will reply and you will also have your (additional) proof.

However, you can't prove the person who owns the PayPal account owns the WhatsApp account.
I doubt he's gonna scam u for some paint. Maybe if it was an iPhone or something of high value then I would be worried. Next time just post it as cash on collection no Paypal!
allowed12/06/2020 17:49

that's got nothing to do with this. after selling online for many years protecting yourself from losing money due to people charging back is easy enough to do. its got nothing to do with assuming everyone is dodgy, its called being sensible.

The media might have you scared senseless but it doesn't mean everyone else is. Which is ironic considering your comment lol. Not everyone one is dodgy. Next sentence. The media has scared us ALL senseless. Can we make generalisations or not? because you did both

not trying to put you down, just pointing out how that comment has a bit pointless. Have a good one. and stop reading the newspapers if it scares you
D3LL80Y12/06/2020 14:43

There has been a lot of discussion on scams with ebay etc recently. The …There has been a lot of discussion on scams with ebay etc recently. The only ways you are safe is if its cash on collection or if you have it on video, like someone said above using doorbell cam or cctv

You can take all the pictures and videos you want. Paypal protection requires proof of posting via a tracked service.
Azwipe13/06/2020 13:56

You can take all the pictures and videos you want. Paypal protection …You can take all the pictures and videos you want. Paypal protection requires proof of posting via a tracked service.

Good job i never use any service that isn’t tracked, but i also have footage incase they say it didn’t arrive even when it says delivered. I had a dispute before but i had receipt of postage etc and won my case
Post a comment
@
    Text