PayPal Scam - Phone Call and code request

Posted 7th Dec 2019
Hi All,

Just thought I'd let people know of a scam I received last night. I had multiple phone calls from this London number:
020 3095 4324
and out of sheer tiredness and frustration I answered it. It was an automated message saying there was suspicious activity on my PayPal account and to verify I was the account holder I needed to enter the code on the text they had just sent me. I ignored this but the phone calls were persistent, so I switched my phone to airplane mode, waking up to 14 voicemails .

Looking this number up on
who-called.co.uk
it shows this number has been used before for Nationwide scams.

Hope this helps someone avoid getting scammed
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
deleted1352513
deleted147109807/12/2019 10:24

A common scam. No need to post it on here, first point of call for these …A common scam. No need to post it on here, first point of call for these types of things will always been google the number.

Doesn't do any harm, some may not be aware

A common scam. No need to post it on here, first point of call for these …A common scam. No need to post it on here, first point of call for these types of things will always been google the number.

Disagree.

Thanks for posting OP, I wasn't aware of this
It seems as if this will go "against the grain" but thank you@scroterot for posting.

I; for one; appreciate my attention being drawn to ANY potential scam doing the rounds (whether I know of it or not) and think that that's what this 'community' forum is all about. I certainly don't feel as if it's a waste of time as if it helps one single person who's not so 'savvy' as the majority - then it's served it's purpose.
Just block the number
26 Comments
Just block the number
deleted1471098
A common scam. No need to post it on here, first point of call for these types of things will always been google the number.
deleted1352513

Disagree.

Thanks for posting OP, I wasn't aware of this
deleted1471098
rogan179107/12/2019 10:46

Disagree.Thanks for posting OP, I wasn't aware of this

It’s not just PayPal it’s banks, credit card companies, insurance, retail stores etc etc same method. They change the number every few weeks and once you pick up you’ll repeatedly be hounded. I never answer a number I don’t know and as a result it’s significantly cut the number of calls I receive.
deleted1471098
deleted135251307/12/2019 10:29

No other than fill the community up with posts about scam calls that 99% of the population have probably received at one point or another and there are specific sites for this. Perhaps people should post about bad driving just to make others aware (we see this on a daily basis but need to make everyone aware of it anyway just it case it happens to them) you see my point? This list could go on forever!
People really need to learn to Google first. I'm sure it helps a small number but you need to help yourself by googling it, what about the others your not aware of, how will you learn if you don't Google the number first or will you wait for a post. The harm is your risking being scammed if you don't Google first.
Edited by: "MR1123" 7th Dec 2019
deleted147109807/12/2019 10:53

It’s not just PayPal it’s banks, credit card companies, insurance, retail s …It’s not just PayPal it’s banks, credit card companies, insurance, retail stores etc etc same method. They change the number every few weeks and once you pick up you’ll repeatedly be hounded. I never answer a number I don’t know and as a result it’s significantly cut the number of calls I receive.

Good for you
winzzz07/12/2019 10:19

Just block the number

First thing I did this morning
It seems as if this will go "against the grain" but thank you@scroterot for posting.

I; for one; appreciate my attention being drawn to ANY potential scam doing the rounds (whether I know of it or not) and think that that's what this 'community' forum is all about. I certainly don't feel as if it's a waste of time as if it helps one single person who's not so 'savvy' as the majority - then it's served it's purpose.
This post is amazingly informative. I’d never heard of this type of phone call scam before. I heard someone mention something called google but I haven’t the faintest idea what that is. This is my first time on the internet so to have someone post about this is brilliant, such a help. Unfortunately I have a very low IQ of 20.
deleted1471098
rogan179107/12/2019 11:10

Good for you

Yes it’s good for me that i am sensible and don’t feel the need to post about scams.
deleted147109807/12/2019 11:40

Yes it’s good for me that i am sensible and don’t feel the need to post abo …Yes it’s good for me that i am sensible and don’t feel the need to post about scams.

"cmdr_elito:
A common scam. No need to post it on here, first point of call for these types of things will always been google the number."

I always Google any calls I receive from numbers I don't recognise.

"cmdr_elito:

It’s not just PayPal it’s banks, credit card companies, insurance, retail stores etc etc same method. They change the number every few weeks and once you pick up you’ll repeatedly be hounded. I never answer a number I don’t know and as a result it’s significantly cut the number of calls I receive."

I've only ever received scams from banks in the past, not PayPal. I wasn't aware or didn't consider all the other companies it could be used for, so thank you for highlighting others you know of. I never usually answer them, but this stood out because the calls were constant, hence airplane mode until I could be bothered to sort it (I was with friends at the time).

"cmdr_elito:

No other than fill the community up with posts about scam calls that 99% of the population have probably received at one point or another and there are specific sites for this. Perhaps people should post about bad driving just to make others aware (we see this on a daily basis but need to make everyone aware of it anyway just it case it happens to them) you see my point? This list could go on forever!"

Yes, car make, model and license plate if you have it. Dash cam footage would be even better, but probably best to start a new thread.
Edited by: "scroterot" 7th Dec 2019
deleted1471098
scroterot07/12/2019 11:45

"cmdr_elito:A common scam. No need to post it on here, first point of call …"cmdr_elito:A common scam. No need to post it on here, first point of call for these types of things will always been google the number." I always Google any calls I receive from numbers I don't recognise."cmdr_elito:It’s not just PayPal it’s banks, credit card companies, insurance, retail stores etc etc same method. They change the number every few weeks and once you pick up you’ll repeatedly be hounded. I never answer a number I don’t know and as a result it’s significantly cut the number of calls I receive."I've only ever received scams from banks in the past, not PayPal. I wasn't aware or didn't consider all the other companies it could be used for, so thank you for highlighting others you know of. I never usually answer them, but this stood out because the calls were constant, hence airplane mode until I could be bothered to sort it (I was with friends at the time)."cmdr_elito:No other than fill the community up with posts about scam calls that 99% of the population have probably received at one point or another and there are specific sites for this. Perhaps people should post about bad driving just to make others aware (we see this on a daily basis but need to make everyone aware of it anyway just it case it happens to them) you see my point? This list could go on forever!"Yes, car make, model and license plate if you have it. Dash cam footage would be even better, but probably best to start a new thread.

Or just not post it here because no one actually cares about bad drivers on a deals forum or about scam phone callers on a deals forum.....
Hotukscams07/12/2019 11:36

This post is amazingly informative. I’d never heard of this type of phone c …This post is amazingly informative. I’d never heard of this type of phone call scam before. I heard someone mention something called google but I haven’t the faintest idea what that is. This is my first time on the internet so to have someone post about this is brilliant, such a help. Unfortunately I have a very low IQ of 20.

deleted147109807/12/2019 11:48

Or just not post it here because no one actually cares about bad drivers …Or just not post it here because no one actually cares about bad drivers on a deals forum or about scam phone callers on a deals forum.....

I care
deleted147109807/12/2019 11:48

Or just not post it here because no one actually cares about bad drivers …Or just not post it here because no one actually cares about bad drivers on a deals forum or about scam phone callers on a deals forum.....

I like the community. If I can help someone within it, at the risk of annoying others, it's a small price to pay.
Thank you for the warning.
deleted1471098
scroterot07/12/2019 12:01

I like the community. If I can help someone within it, at the risk of …I like the community. If I can help someone within it, at the risk of annoying others, it's a small price to pay.

Making others reliant on you instead of self sufficient doesn’t actually help them......
Maybe there should be sections on HUKD that can be filtered out by the knowledgeable, maybe potential sections couild be titled:
common scams that everybody knows about except you
joined today here's my rant
I spent £sillyamount with foreign company and have received nothing, what can I do
Do feel free to add to this list which can be found in the section:
useful section ideas that will never be adopted.
deleted147109807/12/2019 16:24

Making others reliant on you instead of self sufficient doesn’t actually h …Making others reliant on you instead of self sufficient doesn’t actually help them......

That's a big leap from being informed to being reliant. I would not be so bold to say anyone is reliant on anything I post, even the single follower I have.
deleted1471098
scroterot08/12/2019 09:26

That's a big leap from being informed to being reliant. I would not be so …That's a big leap from being informed to being reliant. I would not be so bold to say anyone is reliant on anything I post, even the single follower I have.

People will rely on people to post about scams here if people do it. They will then end up falling victim to it because this is not a scam site that people post on regularly which means they get a tiny part of awareness of what’s really out there but think they have the full picture.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 8th Dec 2019
deleted147109808/12/2019 09:43

People will rely on people to post about scams here if people do it. They …People will rely on people to post about scams here if people do it. They will then end up falling victim to it because this is not a scam site that people post on regularly which means they get a tiny part of awareness of what’s really out there but think they have the full picture.

A severe generalisation and underestimation of the collective intellect of the HDUK community. There are limitations to what we can be aware of, we choose what is relevant to us and ignore/forget the rest. The original post was not relevant to you because of your experience, experience others may not have. I decided to post on a deals site because it involved PayPal (or pretended to be from PP) that many members of HDUK will use, and could in theory be susceptible to this scam.
deleted1471098
scroterot08/12/2019 10:21

A severe generalisation and underestimation of the collective intellect of …A severe generalisation and underestimation of the collective intellect of the HDUK community. There are limitations to what we can be aware of, we choose what is relevant to us and ignore/forget the rest. The original post was not relevant to you because of your experience, experience others may not have. I decided to post on a deals site because it involved PayPal (or pretended to be from PP) that many members of HDUK will use, and could in theory be susceptible to this scam.

It could be equally argued that you have overestimated the intellect of the HUKD community. Many billions of people in the world don’t use this site and you are simply recreating content that exists elsewhere which is widely available to people not from the UK too, these scams are worldwide. These types of junk posts just fill the community up and make it less relevant for all bar a few people that cannot use google.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions