PayPal won’t release funds until positive feedback received on eBay, is this a thing?

Posted 18th Jun 2020
I just purchased something off eBay (private seller). It’s arrived and seems to be working, but I’d like to test it a little bit more. And I usually leave feedback all at once.

Just got a message from the seller asking if I could leave feedback otherwise PayPal won’t release the funds. Is this a thing? What if I left a negative? Does that mean PayPal wouldn’t release funds? If this is a thing, I sympathise with the seller, they’re probably desperate for cash! But I don’t want to leave any feedback until I’m completely satisfied. I’ve just never heard of such a thing.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
Top comments
His relationship with Paypal is none of your concern. Leave whatever feedback you like, whenever you like.
Just leave feedback for the seller. You get months to raise a dispute with PayPal for the goods, do you think everyone waits that long before leaving feedback. It’s irrelevant in the grand scheme of PayPal protection.
24 Comments
  1. Avatar
    PayPal could hold the money for up to 21 days and then it will be released if the buyer doesn’t open a dispute.
    Edited by: "deleted2441513" 18th Jun 2020
  2. Avatar
    Is the ebay user a new seller perhaps?
  3. Avatar
    Yeah this is definitely a thing. Usually for newer accounts I think. I remember it used to happen to me and I kind of did the same thing as your seller. Used to send a follow up asking for feedback as PayPal wouldn’t release funds. However I’m sure as long as they can prove via tracking that it’s been delivered then they can expedite it themselves also.
  4. Avatar
    Author
    Frankie7718/06/2020 15:56

Is the ebay user a new seller perhaps?

Patty3718/06/2020 15:57

Yeah this is definitely a thing. Usually for newer accounts I think. I …Yeah this is definitely a thing. Usually for newer accounts I think. I remember it used to happen to me and I kind of did the same thing as your seller. Used to send a follow up asking for feedback as PayPal wouldn’t release funds. However I’m sure as long as they can prove via tracking that it’s been delivered then they can expedite it themselves also.

Says registered user since 2018. And they’ve sold quite a lot. 258 positive feedback as a seller. 99.2% Positive rating.

I just don’t want to leave a positive, only to discover something wrong in a few days, and then eBay/PayPal not helping because I’ve already left a positive. I only got it yesterday. It’s a PC and all I’ve done so far is switched it on and installed W10. Ideally I’d like to use it for a day or two properly.

Thing is, they’ve sent two messages saying the same thing. The second one sounding a bit more desperado!
    Edited by: "PAISAL" 18th Jun 2020
  5. Avatar
    PAISAL18/06/2020 16:04

Says registered user since 2018. And they’ve sold quite a lot. 258 p …Says registered user since 2018. And they’ve sold quite a lot. 258 positive feedback as a seller. 99.2% Positive rating.I just don’t want to leave a positive, only to discover something wrong in a few days, and then eBay/PayPal not helping because I’ve already left a positive. I only got it yesterday. It’s a PC and all I’ve done so far is switched it on and installed W10. Ideally I’d like to use it for a day or two properly.Thing is, they’ve sent two messages saying the same thing. The second one sounding a bit more desperado!

That’s quite a bit different then. Just take your time and Be wary that he isn’t on a restricted account.
  6. Avatar
    I’ve not left feedback for plenty of items, because I hate when people don’t give me feedback
  7. Avatar
    I had this situation too just recently. I bought an item from a brand new seller and he messaged me saying that he'd have to cancel the transaction because PayPal would not release the funds to him. I did a little bit of reading on the eBay and PayPal websites and it turns out that for a new seller that is selling a high value item PayPal will hold the funds for 21 days or until the seller account can be confirmed in some way (ie receiving positive feedback for the transaction), whichever is sooner. So I explained this to the buy, sent them this link where eBay talks about this
    ebay.co.uk/hel…155

That reassured the seller that it was a normal situation and they agreed to send the item (via a tracked service of course), I left positive feedback as soon as I received it, and their money was releasedto them straight away.
  8. Avatar
    His relationship with Paypal is none of your concern. Leave whatever feedback you like, whenever you like.
  9. Avatar
    Author
    Mendoza18/06/2020 16:16

I’ve not left feedback for plenty of items, because I hate when people d …I’ve not left feedback for plenty of items, because I hate when people don’t give me feedback

I know what you mean. This seller has already left me a positive though!
  10. Avatar
    Pandamansays18/06/2020 16:22

His relationship with Paypal is none of your concern. Leave whatever …His relationship with Paypal is none of your concern. Leave whatever feedback you like, whenever you like.

Personally I wouldn't quite agree with that. If you've received the item and everything was fine then why not leave feedback? It's not as if they are asking you to lie about anything, you're meant to leave feedback (either good, neutral, or bad) after a transaction anyway, both when you buy and when you sell. All you'd be doing in this case is just indicating that you have received the item once it's arrived, it's no big deal.
    Edited by: "Haircut_100" 18th Jun 2020
  11. Avatar
    It can also be if they haven’t sold for a while. Happened to me. It released the funds once the tracking was delivered though. Rather than feedback.
  12. Avatar
    '..........but I’d like to test it a little bit more.'

How times have changed. Its an auction site not a shop. Mind you, people often pay high street prices for items of complexity and fragility they have not seen or handled.

'strodinary

Answer is simple and clear. Buy cheap on eBay or buy for only slightly more online
  13. Avatar
    Haircut_10018/06/2020 16:51

Personally I wouldn't quite agree with that. If you've received the item …Personally I wouldn't quite agree with that. If you've received the item and everything was fine then why not leave feedback? It's not as if they are asking you to lie about anything, you're meant to leave feedback (either good, neutral, or bad) after a transaction anyway, both when you buy and when you sell. All you'd be doing in this case is just indicating that you have received the item once it's arrived, it's no big deal.

FB is optional, yes it builds up a history/background to both buyers and sellers and helps everyone, but it remains optional and theres no onus to leave FB.

p.s. I always leave FB, but don't 'have to'.
  14. Avatar
    Correct me if im wrong someone. If you have to open a dispute I don't think having left feedback will make a difference. Hope often will people have bought items, all great, left feedback then a fault appears and they've had to raise a dispute.

I wouldn't normally leave fb if pushed for it but if it's for funds to be released it does happen so personally I'd just leave something brief like "Quick delivery" "good communication" etc and you could even add "yet to test fully" if you really wanted. You even see people just leaving feedback as just "thanks"
  15. Avatar
    Just leave feedback for the seller. You get months to raise a dispute with PayPal for the goods, do you think everyone waits that long before leaving feedback. It’s irrelevant in the grand scheme of PayPal protection.
  16. Avatar
    They just after feedback, which you don’t have to do..
  17. Avatar
    How long do you wanna test? The item works or it doesn't. Just pointless and the reason why I only sell face to face for cash or give it to charity.
  18. Avatar
    Leave feedback any issues raise a dispute with eBay. Difficult times and I'm sure if it was the other way round you'd do the same.
  19. Avatar
    Author
    ccnp18/06/2020 18:33

'..........but I’d like to test it a little bit more.'How times have c …'..........but I’d like to test it a little bit more.'How times have changed. Its an auction site not a shop. Mind you, people often pay high street prices for items of complexity and fragility they have not seen or handled.'strodinary Answer is simple and clear. Buy cheap on eBay or buy for only slightly more online

Yes it’s an auction site. And feedback is an integral part of this particular site. I want to “test” it to see if it’s as described before leaving feedback.

Other auction sites and auction houses may do things differently.

And this wasn’t an auction.

And eBay specifically has systems of recourse in place should something not be as described.

It’s not Bawtry!
  20. Avatar
    Author
    The real issue here was that I thought it was unusual because I’ve not heard of anything like this regarding eBay/PayPal before. People asking to leave feedback is not uncommon, but I’ve never been asked to do so as a method for the seller to actually get their money. It caught me off guard.

I’ve left feedback now.
  21. Avatar
    Author
    Buckyball18/06/2020 20:05

How long do you wanna test? The item works or it doesn't. Just pointless …How long do you wanna test? The item works or it doesn't. Just pointless and the reason why I only sell face to face for cash or give it to charity.

I’m not withholding feedback to be awkward. I want to know if it’s as described. There are several things on there that may not be working. In which case it wouldn’t be as described. You may use a computer in a way that’s different from me, and powering on and off is enough for you. I think the word “test” was probably the wrong one. I’m not going to get a voltmeter and soldering iron out.

Like I said, couple of days would be sufficient to assess whether the item which was described as fully functional is indeed so. I normally leave feedback all in one go for everyone I’ve bought from in a given week.

I’ve just never heard of payment being withheld until feedback has been left.

But I’ve left them feedback anyway now.
  22. Avatar
    I'd just reply you haven't got around to using it so can't give an honest fb at the moment but you'll try to by xyz days time.
  23. Avatar
    Mendoza18/06/2020 16:16

I’ve not left feedback for plenty of items, because I hate when people d …I’ve not left feedback for plenty of items, because I hate when people don’t give me feedback

They may be thinking the same. I leave feedback as a seller as soon as I am able to withdraw my money from my PayPal account; this is usually immediate as I have been selling for a while. There is no other reason to withhold feedback as sellers cannot leave negative feedback anyway.
  24. Avatar
    bozo00718/06/2020 23:09

They may be thinking the same. I leave feedback as a seller as soon as I …They may be thinking the same. I leave feedback as a seller as soon as I am able to withdraw my money from my PayPal account; this is usually immediate as I have been selling for a while. There is no other reason to withhold feedback as sellers cannot leave negative feedback anyway.

I’ve left feedback as a buyer like 10 times, and received just one back, so I thought no more mr nice guy

but yeah, as a seller, I leave feedback as soon as I receive payment

I believe sellers should leave feedback as soon as they received payment
Post a comment
Top Merchants