Groups

pc advice

I have got a spare laptop, but dont have access to the BIOS password, and I want to install XP.
    but, the CD rom bootable option is not available.

how can I install XP on the HDD,

my main laptop is using windows 7, I have formatted the HDD using a Sata enclosure,
    tired to install xp from the cd onto the HDD, but because im using windows 7 it wont allow me to do it.

any advice would be good.
    EG installing via DOS?? or?

I have

11 Comments

reset the bios, remove the battery from the motherboard and replace it. Job done, Bios unlocked.

and remember to remove the main battery and mains lead before you remove the motherboard battery cos if you dont it wont reset the bios as there is still pwer going through the board

Original Poster

was actually hoping for a simplier idea, but I guess I have no choice. thanks people

Do you need to actually enter the BIOS settings to boot from cd/dvd, MOST newer motherboards BIOS have the option at bootup to press F12 and select a different boot source rather than having to change stuff IN the bios settings as such permanently.
    Restart the computer and have a look at the bottom of the POST screen to see if it has any options listed.
    If it doesn't then you'd have to either reset the BIOS or remember the password for it so you can change the settings.

zerowing;8925967

was actually hoping for a simplier idea, but I guess I have no choice. … was actually hoping for a simplier idea, but I guess I have no choice. thanks people

There is an alternative but whether it is easier depends on your outlook of the situation. A BIOS flash upgrade will usually reset the password so there is no need to open up the computer.

paddy.stone;8926876

Do you need to actually enter the BIOS settings to boot from cd/dvd, MOST … Do you need to actually enter the BIOS settings to boot from cd/dvd, MOST newer motherboards BIOS have the option at bootup to press F12 and select a different boot source rather than having to change stuff IN the bios settings as such permanently.Restart the computer and have a look at the bottom of the POST screen to see if it has any options listed.If it doesn't then you'd have to either reset the BIOS or remember the password for it so you can change the settings.

Just read this. This is actually the best solution if all that is required is to alter the boot device order.

Original Poster

paddy.stone;8926876

Do you need to actually enter the BIOS settings to boot from cd/dvd, MOST … Do you need to actually enter the BIOS settings to boot from cd/dvd, MOST newer motherboards BIOS have the option at bootup to press F12 and select a different boot source rather than having to change stuff IN the bios settings as such permanently.Restart the computer and have a look at the bottom of the POST screen to see if it has any options listed.If it doesn't then you'd have to either reset the BIOS or remember the password for it so you can change the settings.

There is currently no os on the hdd at the moment, and the boot from menu (f12) is not available (boot from cd/DVD)

Because there is no os I can't upgrade the bios as well.
    Not to mention I have taken the dell laptop apart and removed the CMOS battery but still has the locked on security on the bios so I can't change or add boot order still.

I'm not entirely sure of this because I don't have a great deal of experience of this type of thing with laptops, but I believe you also have to bridge a connection between the 2 CMOS pins to clear the memory... not sure if just removing the battery does it nowadays.

[edit] just found this you can look through to see if there's anything there to help you too... good luck

topbits.com/res…tml

Original Poster

paddy.stone;8928109

I'm not entirely sure of this because I don't have a great deal of … I'm not entirely sure of this because I don't have a great deal of experience of this type of thing with laptops, but I believe you also have to bridge a connection between the 2 CMOS pins to clear the memory... not sure if just removing the battery does it nowadays.[edit] just found this you can look through to see if there's anything there to help you too... good luckhttp://www.topbits.com/reset-bios-password.html

thanks for that but no joy, so attemptinh to make a bootable usb, and downloaded a dell bios cracker.

???? is it asking for a password to enter bios? Have you forgotten the password?

Original Poster

bargain surfer;8928815

???? is it asking for a password to enter bios? Have you forgotten the … ???? is it asking for a password to enter bios? Have you forgotten the password?

Yeah I don't have the password and to change boot order I need the bios password
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.917
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047185
      3. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery1627
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)64491

See more discussions