Expired

PC Airflow in Zalman Z11

Found 17th Jul 2012
Hi there,

I need some help deciding which fan arrangement will give me the best airflow inside my new case. It's a Zalman Z11 Plus with a noctua NH-D14. All the labelled case fans are 120mm (there is also an 80mm fan on each side panel which exhausts air out of some vents).

Each arrow on the diagram represents an installed fan (minus the 80mm).

What would the best fan arrangement for this case?

Thanks guys, the diagram will be in the comments section
Community Updates
MiscFanPC
12 Comments
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8004/7586554074_f172e87b99_h.jpg
Edited by: "coolboy101" 17th Jul 2012
You basically have it! In from the bottom front and out at the rear top.

Tuck away any obstructions like cables to the back of the case to improve airflow. Only add the side ones as exhausts to draw the heat out otherwise it could interupt the airflow. 120mm are generally quieter moving more air with less movement dont bother with the 80mm unless you really need them.

FLOBADOB

You basically have it! In from the bottom front and out at the rear … You basically have it! In from the bottom front and out at the rear top.Tuck away any obstructions like cables to the back of the case to improve airflow. Only add the side ones as exhausts to draw the heat out otherwise it could interupt the airflow. 120mm are generally quieter moving more air with less movement dont bother with the 80mm unless you really need them.

The 80mm fans are on the bottom of the side panel closest to the front of the case (pretty much on the tip of the far right arrow). They are meant to cool the HDDs (exhausts I think). Should I keep them in?

http://www.achat-mania.com/upload/image/zalman-z11-plus-boitier-pc-tuning-p-image-18040-grande.jpg
Edited by: "coolboy101" 17th Jul 2012
Better Pic, you can see one of the 80mm fans through the HDD bays

http://www.mnpctech.3dpixelnet.com/picture_library/zalman_z11_plus_midtower_best_review_giveaway_pc_case_mod9c.jpg
How hot do your drives get?

Not very I should suspect!

If you dont mind the noise keep them in.
I think I will keep them in, if it was designed with them I suppose there is method in the madness!

So is the airflow in the first diagram the best possible method for cooling? Do you think having the noctua facing upwards would make the airflow worse?

Thanks
I'd reverse the 80mms, you ideally want more fans blowing in than blowing out (to create higher pressure inside the case, which helps keep the dust out).

Does the system warrant using all eight fans? If it's not a monster system I'd disconnect most of them and only use three or four to keep the noise down.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 18th Jul 2012
I have this case. Those little 80mm fans are silent.
As I have said before, the system has an ample amount of fans, you do not need anymore.

I am running a heavily overclocked gaming system very cool with this in combination with a good heatsink, my single HDD is literally cold to touch with the HDD fan at the front. Don't really need it for one HDD tbh, using SSDs for the other drives which are fine without a fan.
Edited by: "cejiogu1" 18th Jul 2012
cejiogu1

I have this case. Those little 80mm fans are silent.As I have said … I have this case. Those little 80mm fans are silent.As I have said before, the system has an ample amount of fans, you do not need anymore.I am running a heavily overclocked gaming system very cool with this in combination with a good heatsink, my single HDD is literally cold to touch with the HDD fan at the front. Don't really need it for one HDD tbh, using SSDs for the other drives which are fine without a fan.

Do you agree that inverting the 80mm fans to act as intakes is a good idea? I will only have one 2tb HDD in there to start with, may add an SSD later.

I am going to be over locking either a 3770k or 3570k to about 4.8ghz (hence the noctua), with a single GTX 670 GPU. Used for gaming, video editing, converting video etc.

Any more suggestions?
The case is fine the way it is.
The case came today with the 2 extra 120mm original fans (extra fans came without screws though). Also my Noctua NH-D14 came, the people I bought it from (on amazon) said it was new, when it got to me the AMD mounts had been open so they gave it to me for half price, £21!!!

Bought some fan screws with next day delivery so will mount them tomorrow and test them when my PSU gets here (should be tomorrow or the day after).

Thanks for your help by the way guys
Hi I'm a bit late finding this but cheers for the post and pics. I bought the Zalmann 11 about 6 months ago ended up changing a few fans around due to having a watercool system for the CPU and needing a 120mm for that. Either way got confused as to how the airflow structure should be as was my first ever rebuild etc. Recently I've found that after playing games like Hitman Absolution for hours on end it would blue screen eventually and I couldn't seem to get the graphics card to stay below 62 degrees whilst playing - had to stop let it cool down, play again.

Either way found this post and this is what I have setup now and not only is the case itself cool as ice but the graphics card is now only peaking at 47 degrees, a major improvement in my eyes - non stop hitman from now hehe

Setup Which Works Extremely Well:

- Front (HDD Fan)/Blowing Inwards: Using a 120mm I bought which was stronger than the zalman 120mm LED - 2x 500gb HDDs are ice cold.
- Side Panels - havent touched the 2x 80mm I think they are blowing inwards
- Bottom/Blowing Inwards/Upwards: Using the black standard 120mm that came with the Zalmann
- Top/Blowing Outwards: Using 2x 120mm blue led Zalman (plus now the entire top is glowing and not half of it)
- Back/Blowing Outward: Using an 80mm Fractal standard fan - one I had spare from an old CPU

So there you have it when I open up the side panel and feel the temp inside the pc it's not ice cold but its pretty damn cool and like I said the 1gb ATI Radeon 5850 is peaking at 47 degrees when playing games on ultra and the HDDs are actually cold.

Hope that helps with anyone in the future!

Dom
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions