PC Build

Posted 24th Apr
Hi guys,

Just wanting some advise from you computer experts on here . I need to build a PC, a very high performance one within a, £2,000 to £2,500 budget. It won’t be much for gaming(for now)but to run programs that I use for my business. Mostly Sage, Microsoft word, excel, etc etc.

My recent pc I have has died on me. I am aware I can get a decent one for around £1,000 to £1,500; ideally I want to build one with the best possible parts, as in future i may be changing all my office computers to IMac’s. Therefore, using this for gaming thereafter . Ideally, I’d like to outsource the best parts to use with your guys help. Building the PC won’t be a issue as I’ve built my last gaming PC couple years ago, but mainly just bought all the high end parts at the time .

So far, these are the parts I have chosen:

CPU: Intel i9 9900x
Cooler: Thermaltake Floe Triple Riing RGB 360 TT
MoBo: Gigabyte x299 designare ex
GPU: (brand-TBC) Nvidia 1070 / 1080
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64Gb, 2 x 16 x 2 = 64GB
Storage: 1TB Samsung Evo M.2 - Got a NAS server and storage connected with the network so 1TB is enough
Case: Thermaltake view 51 - I know £200 for a case
PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold, fully modular

Could you please recommend anything better? And or, anything that may not fit well together as well as, any cost effective alternatives, if any.

Would appreciate all your help

Many thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
You should switch out the cpu for amd
GPU should be a Rtx or 5700 xt.
Get a 9900k not an x.

I've got a 9900k and i won the silicone lottery too, 5.3ghz on all 8 cores.

I've got

RTX 2070 (getting a 3080 when they release, no reason to)
Samsung 1tb 960 evo plus
1tb Samsung 870 evo
Corsair h100x, probably move to a custom loop once i get a new case (only for looks if I'm honest lol)
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE 4 x 8gb
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL
CPU probably use Ryzen 5 3600, then upgrade to Ryzen 4000 when release. Or get Ryzen 9 now if you want.
Motherboard use x570
GPU,since it is not gaming for now, probably a cheap GTX 1650S, thrn upgrade to 3080 in future when you turn it to gaming PC

SSD change to Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0
Edited by: "Cisco060606" 24th Apr
Oh just noticed it's just for business apps? Yeah you don't need to spend even 50% of your budget
Sack both those CPU's off and go for dual Xeon's, dual E5-2695 v4 for example, 36 cores 72 threads, 128GB RAM, probably cost you less than £600 for the RAM, MOBO and CPU's.
BadMF24/04/2020 09:00

Sack both those CPU's off and go for dual Xeon's, dual E5-2695 v4 for …Sack both those CPU's off and go for dual Xeon's, dual E5-2695 v4 for example, 36 cores 72 threads, 128GB RAM, probably cost you less than £600 for the RAM, MOBO and CPU's.

Just isn't suitable for his use case though.

From what he says he doesn't need much performance at all.

Besides a single 3960x would be better
Yes, but a 3960x is £1,250, dual (x2) Xeon 2695's can be had for under £300..
BadMF24/04/2020 09:23

Yes, but a 3960x is £1,250, dual (x2) Xeon 2695's can be had for under …Yes, but a 3960x is £1,250, dual (x2) Xeon 2695's can be had for under £300..

Then £600 for the ram you said? Then a out of date mobo etc.

Not pcie 4.0 either.

He really only needs a 9400f or a 3600 going by his needs, it's like trying top open a can of baked beans with a shotgun with anything more.
Edited by: "Jordan_Taylor" 24th Apr
Smidge over £300 for 128GB ECC RAM, X99 board around £150. No point spending shed loads of cash if it's not needed, especially when you can get the same sort of ooompf for a fraction of the cost. This is a money saving website after all.

Also initial post said it'd be for work related tasks then maybe a gaming PC. The Xeon is the champion of the work force and always will be on that front. Meh, buyers choice to make I guess. Just throwing a cheaper option out there.
Do the Samsung EVO SSDs make much difference compared to the QVO range?
Looking at these for my build and £30-£40 price difference for a 1TB EVO Vs. QVO.
Jordan_Taylor24/04/2020 09:27

Then £600 for the ram you said? Then a out of date mobo etc.Not pcie 4.0 …Then £600 for the ram you said? Then a out of date mobo etc.Not pcie 4.0 either. He really only needs a 9400f or a 3600 going by his needs, it's like trying top open a can of baked beans with a shotgun with anything more.

I think OP mean to use this PC for work for now, but may turn it into high end PC in near future?
Tbf i don't really understand the op's needs ahaha.

Is it light work apps like office and sage? Then surely spending £2000-£2500 is abit pointless? Like £500 would be fine?

Like using tnt to get the skin off a rice pudding.

Like even if its heavy gaming, what resolution do you plan on playing at? What games?
Edited by: "Jordan_Taylor" 24th Apr
Hello, sorry about the delayed response guys! Thanks for the all replies. We have decided that, we will just upgrade all our systems to IMac Pro's due to certain features which benefits our day to day activities. Plus we all own Apple products so its easier for the rest of my staff to navigate lol. Nevertheless, i will build this for room gaming. After extensive research and reading your guys comments,

i dont think i need 64gb ram or a £600 Mobo lol. My intial listing was recommended by a friend to me, however, when i asked him certain questions about certain parts, he said, he thought it would be best... guess even though he works in I.T doesnt always make them the knowledgeable one haha.

Misly24/04/2020 07:46

You should switch out the cpu for amd

I am considering a AMD now hehe, Ryzen 9 3950x
Munch198124/04/2020 08:00

GPU should be a Rtx or 5700 xt.

I have got a MSI 2080 TI which i can use in future for this build by replacing it.
Jordan_Taylor24/04/2020 08:22

Get a 9900k not an x.I've got a 9900k and i won the silicone lottery too, …Get a 9900k not an x.I've got a 9900k and i won the silicone lottery too, 5.3ghz on all 8 cores.I've got9900kRTX 2070 (getting a 3080 when they release, no reason to) Samsung 1tb 960 evo plus1tb Samsung 870 evoCorsair h100x, probably move to a custom loop once i get a new case (only for looks if I'm honest lol) Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO32GB Corsair VENGEANCE 4 x 8gbCOOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL

Thanks for providing your specs, i get the idea of what top expect.
D3SI24/04/2020 08:39

do you need 64GB RAM?https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/MjThZf

i'll be sticking with 16gb at 3600mhz or 32gb at 3200mhz
Cisco06060624/04/2020 08:47

CPU probably use Ryzen 5 3600, then upgrade to Ryzen 4000 when release. Or …CPU probably use Ryzen 5 3600, then upgrade to Ryzen 4000 when release. Or get Ryzen 9 now if you want.Motherboard use x570GPU,since it is not gaming for now, probably a cheap GTX 1650S, thrn upgrade to 3080 in future when you turn it to gaming PCSSD change to Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0

9 3950x is in mind now. SSD wise whats the difference? besides the price?
Jordan_Taylor24/04/2020 08:56

Oh just noticed it's just for business apps? Yeah you don't need to spend …Oh just noticed it's just for business apps? Yeah you don't need to spend even 50% of your budget

haha was initially until we decided Mac would be the way forward!
BadMF24/04/2020 09:34

Smidge over £300 for 128GB ECC RAM, X99 board around £150. No point s …Smidge over £300 for 128GB ECC RAM, X99 board around £150. No point spending shed loads of cash if it's not needed, especially when you can get the same sort of ooompf for a fraction of the cost. This is a money saving website after all.Also initial post said it'd be for work related tasks then maybe a gaming PC. The Xeon is the champion of the work force and always will be on that front. Meh, buyers choice to make I guess. Just throwing a cheaper option out there.

After going away and doing my own research, i realised what my friend recomended was more to get as close to my budget than what would be actually benefitical and what would be a overkill lol.

40595626-ryv2h.jpg

What do you guys think of these parts so far?
Edited by: "Ka11ran" 30th Apr
Ka11ran30/04/2020 20:56

Hello, sorry about the delayed response guys! Thanks for the all replies. …Hello, sorry about the delayed response guys! Thanks for the all replies. We have decided that, we will just upgrade all our systems to IMac Pro's due to certain features which benefits our day to day activities. Plus we all own Apple products so its easier for the rest of my staff to navigate lol. Nevertheless, i will build this for room gaming. After extensive research and reading your guys comments, i dont think i need 64gb ram or a £600 Mobo lol. My intial listing was recommended by a friend to me, however, when i asked him certain questions about certain parts, he said, he thought it would be best... guess even though he works in I.T doesnt always make them the knowledgeable one haha. I am considering a AMD now hehe, Ryzen 9 3950x I have got a MSI 2080 TI which i can use in future for this build by replacing it. Thanks for providing your specs, i get the idea of what top expect. i'll be sticking with 16gb at 3600mhz or 32gb at 3200mhz 9 3950x is in mind now. SSD wise whats the difference? besides the price? haha was initially until we decided Mac would be the way forward! After going away and doing my own research, i realised what my friend recomended was more to get as close to my budget than what would be actually benefitical and what would be a overkill lol.[Image] What do you guys think of these parts so far?

If budget is important you can definitely tone down on the looks and get the same performance parts for cheaper.
Misly30/04/2020 23:27

If budget is important you can definitely tone down on the looks and get …If budget is important you can definitely tone down on the looks and get the same performance parts for cheaper.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Looks is a must haha, come on spending 1k plus to look at the dull case or no rgb colours is a no no for me it’s like spending 100k on a car and keeping it locked up in the garage all year round - well that’s how I see it haha.

But serious note, budget is not important however, if I can get parts at better value and does same or if not better job, I don’t mind. Ideally, something with longevity .
Built in obsolesce, newer and better parts will always be announced but long as my rig is capable of still keeping up with the new times. I’m happy
Edited by: "Ka11ran" 30th Apr
Ka11ran30/04/2020 23:49

Hey, thanks for the reply. Looks is a must haha, come on spending 1k plus …Hey, thanks for the reply. Looks is a must haha, come on spending 1k plus to look at the dull case or no rgb colours is a no no for me it’s like spending 100k on a car and keeping it locked up in the garage all year round - well that’s how I see it haha. But serious note, budget is not important however, if I can get parts at better value and does same or if not better job, I don’t mind. Ideally, something with longevity . Built in obsolesce, newer and better parts will always be announced but long as my rig is capable of still keeping up with the new times. I’m happy

Also little suggestion as I heard you like rgb haha. Maybe check out some corsair aios as they usually have some more rgb haha
Misly01/05/2020 00:26

Also little suggestion as I heard you like rgb haha. Maybe check out some …Also little suggestion as I heard you like rgb haha. Maybe check out some corsair aios as they usually have some more rgb haha

Thanks again, I am looking at them also. However, I heard they have some issues with AM4 chipsets?

40597685.jpg

I also saw a comment on someone else’s thread, someone said RGb’s are for kids for gaming computers(excited) meh, so be it . All them colours
Edited by: "Ka11ran" 1st May
I’m finding it hard to find components that don’t have the childish “ooooo flashy lights” rgb had its moment in 2005, it should be left there.
Edited by: "BadMF" 1st May
2005, back then the only lights you had in a pc were static blue or red
Ka11ran01/05/2020 00:27

Thanks again, I am looking at them also. However, I heard they have some …Thanks again, I am looking at them also. However, I heard they have some issues with AM4 chipsets? [Image] I also saw a comment on someone else’s thread, someone said RGb’s are for kids for gaming computers(excited) meh, so be it . All them colours

There's another titanium version with rgb fans afaik
Misly01/05/2020 12:23

2005, back then the only lights you had in a pc were static blue or red

You are mistaken.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions