Pc build

Posted 9th Jun
hi all

looking at building a new pc for myself and wondering if the below is good value or if there's anywhere I can get it cheaper or maybe you have different recommendation on parts. my price is below £900

3481877.jpg3481877.jpg3481877.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
I always went down the barebones route, might be worth a look?
There's a good site that sounds a bit like ebayer
build looks balanced. too bad, you are buying in an era where psus, mobos and graphic card prices are super high at the moment.

If you can wait, it wouldnt be a bad idea.
Artonox09/06/2020 17:45

build looks balanced. too bad, you are buying in an era where psus, mobos …build looks balanced. too bad, you are buying in an era where psus, mobos and graphic card prices are super high at the moment.If you can wait, it wouldnt be a bad idea.

It's not that I'm in a rush I just have some spare money atm and thought I'd put it to good use seeing as my current pc is in need of an upgrade
Looks good except dump those storage and get this or a 2TB version amazon.co.uk/dp/…TBP

The days of having a mechanical disk in your case are over unless you really really really need the extra storage. They're loud and slow!

You can put your parts in this website to see the cheapest price and to make sure it's all compatible uk.pcpartpicker.com

Could upgrade case/motherboard if you want USB C support and/or WiFi.
Get a better psu, it'll help when upgrading in the future.
PenguinsForAll09/06/2020 18:03

Looks good except dump those storage and get this or a 2TB version …Looks good except dump those storage and get this or a 2TB version https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZZYWTBPThe days of having a mechanical disk in your case are over unless you really really really need the extra storage. They're loud and slow!You can put your parts in this website to see the cheapest price and to make sure it's all compatible https://uk.pcpartpicker.comCould upgrade case/motherboard if you want USB C support and/or WiFi.

Many thanks
Jordan_Taylor09/06/2020 18:16

Get a better psu, it'll help when upgrading in the future.

Would it be ok to start off with then upgrade at a later date
PenguinsForAll09/06/2020 18:03

Looks good except dump those storage and get this or a 2TB version …Looks good except dump those storage and get this or a 2TB version https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZZYWTBPThe days of having a mechanical disk in your case are over unless you really really really need the extra storage. They're loud and slow!You can put your parts in this website to see the cheapest price and to make sure it's all compatible https://uk.pcpartpicker.comCould upgrade case/motherboard if you want USB C support and/or WiFi.

+1 for pcpartpicker

best way of getting the best deal for each component and also gives you compatibility advice

disagree about the storage though. hard drives are still best for mass storage and you can get twice the storage for the same price
Edited by: "adamspencer95" 9th Jun
adamspencer9509/06/2020 22:25

+1 for pcpartpickerbest way of getting the best deal for each component …+1 for pcpartpickerbest way of getting the best deal for each component and also gives you compatibility advicedisagree about the storage though. hard drives are still best for mass storage and you can get twice the storage for the same price

1 or 2TB is enough for most people, you need your os and games on it for fastest load times so I don't see a reason to get a slow loud mechanical hdd unless you NEED over 2tb storage, then you can always buy it later.
jamie_roxburgh09/06/2020 22:21

Would it be ok to start off with then upgrade at a later date

I'd recommend a 80+ gold psu, it's only about 20 or 30 more, saves having to rebuy later
PenguinsForAll09/06/2020 23:57

1 or 2TB is enough for most people, you need your os and games on it for …1 or 2TB is enough for most people, you need your os and games on it for fastest load times so I don't see a reason to get a slow loud mechanical hdd unless you NEED over 2tb storage, then you can always buy it later.

but the OP also included a 500GB pci-e SSD, presumably for the OS and most frequently used applications, with the hard drive for less frequently used applications

which is normally the best balance between cost and total storage space
adamspencer9510/06/2020 00:04

but the OP also included a 500GB pci-e SSD, presumably for the OS and most …but the OP also included a 500GB pci-e SSD, presumably for the OS and most frequently used applications, with the hard drive for less frequently used applicationswhich is normally the best balance between cost and total storage space

500GB is such an awkward size. Back in 2010 it was common because of prices, but now they are very cheap in comparison so why not just go 100% NVME/SSD and keep things on 1 super fast device instead of splitting it up.
PenguinsForAll10/06/2020 10:43

500GB is such an awkward size. Back in 2010 it was common because of …500GB is such an awkward size. Back in 2010 it was common because of prices, but now they are very cheap in comparison so why not just go 100% NVME/SSD and keep things on 1 super fast device instead of splitting it up.

Down to personal preference I admit, but if the OP is only going to put less frequently used stuff on it, there's no point paying *twice as much* for SSD over hard drive.

Each to their own but hopefully OP can see both sides and decide which suits them best.
PenguinsForAll10/06/2020 10:43

500GB is such an awkward size. Back in 2010 it was common because of …500GB is such an awkward size. Back in 2010 it was common because of prices, but now they are very cheap in comparison so why not just go 100% NVME/SSD and keep things on 1 super fast device instead of splitting it up.

Because 1TB for apps and OS is overkill. A mechanical drive still has plenty of uses. Especially for anyone that wants to store any kind of media locally.
I’ve a 512NVMe drive and is more than adequate. Though the 6TB or mechanical space is a bit over kill, due to my mirroring.

I’d probably would go 1TB NVME on my next build but it’s my money and I’m not trying to blow up someone else’s budget.
Oneday7710/06/2020 10:50

Because 1TB for apps and OS is overkill. A mechanical drive still has …Because 1TB for apps and OS is overkill. A mechanical drive still has plenty of uses. Especially for anyone that wants to store any kind of media locally. I’ve a 512NVMe drive and is more than adequate. Though the 6TB or mechanical space is a bit over kill, due to my mirroring. I’d probably would go 1TB NVME on my next build but it’s my money and I’m not trying to blow up someone else’s budget.

1TB isn't really overkill if they play games though, they can be what, 40-80GB each? Having to uninstall games to make space is such a drag!
The extra little cost to future proof is well worth it imo!
Thanks for all the input. I game but mainly single player games and racing games plus football manager. Loading times aren't to big of a deal to me hence the reason for a mechanical drive. I can't go over £900 at all so I picked parts that I thought would be ok. My plan would be to swap out part by part that's needed ie. Better storage and power supply then maybe add things like aio cooling and probably a much better case. This was mainly a system that's ample for my needs but has slight upgradability
Go for a 1tb ssd it makes it easier down the line. It isn't overkill either.
jamie_roxburgh10/06/2020 11:52

Thanks for all the input. I game but mainly single player games and racing …Thanks for all the input. I game but mainly single player games and racing games plus football manager. Loading times aren't to big of a deal to me hence the reason for a mechanical drive. I can't go over £900 at all so I picked parts that I thought would be ok. My plan would be to swap out part by part that's needed ie. Better storage and power supply then maybe add things like aio cooling and probably a much better case. This was mainly a system that's ample for my needs but has slight upgradability

If you are upgrading an old machine. Can you use the PSU from it? Assuming it has enough power.
Do you need 2.5TB of storage? Would 1TB in total be enough? Can you fit a 1TB NVMe drive if you can do without mechanical?
Can you get Corsair LPX memory any cheaper without the RGB?

Your build is fine and will all work together and is in your budget. There are possible tweaks but none are critical.
Oneday7710/06/2020 12:05

If you are upgrading an old machine. Can you use the PSU from it? Assuming …If you are upgrading an old machine. Can you use the PSU from it? Assuming it has enough power. Do you need 2.5TB of storage? Would 1TB in total be enough? Can you fit a 1TB NVMe drive if you can do without mechanical? Can you get Corsair LPX memory any cheaper without the RGB?Your build is fine and will all work together and is in your budget. There are possible tweaks but none are critical.

Old computer will be going in children's room for homework and light gaming. I'd say 1tb would be enough for the time being and I could always add more later. With regards to RGB memory it was mainly as I'd opted for a windowed case but not necessarily needed. I've tweaked a little and this is what I've come up with
41041796-zvHm9.jpg41041796-6mbGN.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants