PC Build Advice

Posted 30th May
Evening all. For someone who relies on a PC (home/office activities), can you advise on a forum or recommend components for a PC build where the primary goal is speed/responsiveness (booting up, running several apps at once) and generally acting as a multimedia hub (Bluetooth/wifi connectivity, USB 3.0). Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
25 Comments
You'll need to post your budget and other uses of the PC (gaming, video editing, storage space requirements, etc)

Do you have a monitor? If yes what refresh rate and resolution?

If you post some more details someone can help you out easily.
D3SI30/05/2020 20:58

You'll need to post your budget and other uses of the PC (gaming, video …You'll need to post your budget and other uses of the PC (gaming, video editing, storage space requirements, etc)Do you have a monitor? If yes what refresh rate and resolution?If you post some more details someone can help you out easily.

Budget would be around 600£ but if one were to say for an extra 100£ it would be leagues apart in quality/longevity then I am happy to spend the extra. It wouldn’t be for gaming (unless Age of Empires pulled their finger out and released AoE IV). I would use it for streaming services, potentially sky go for live sport. I already have a HDD for storing photos though I am unsure if it will be compatible with current motherboards (my comp was built 10years ago).

My employer provided me with my monitor so I assume it’s bog standard.

The only thing I know I need is AMD Ryzen 5 and SSD to act as a boot drive.

A bonus would be if the computer was Uber quiet aswell

Thank you greatly
Funny I came across this, just been browsing for the same advice and have been recommended these two pages... they may help you:

reddit.com/r/b…rMe

reddit.com/r/b…pc/
Jonathan_Christopher30/05/2020 21:18

Funny I came across this, just been browsing for the same advice and have …Funny I came across this, just been browsing for the same advice and have been recommended these two pages... they may help you:https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcforMehttps://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

Looks ideal. Appreciated
If you have discord the official pcpartpicker discord is pretty decent
The budget would run to a Ryzen 5 3600 and a GTX 1650 / 1650 super, or as a far cheaper budget, a Ryzen 5 3400G using integrated Vega 11.

I'd pair the SSD with a larger HDD for media storage
Misly31/05/2020 00:50

If you have discord the official pcpartpicker discord is pretty decent

I haven’t got discord but if it’s free I will check it out. Cheers for the heads up
matth999931/05/2020 01:38

The budget would run to a Ryzen 5 3600 and a GTX 1650 / 1650 super, or as …The budget would run to a Ryzen 5 3600 and a GTX 1650 / 1650 super, or as a far cheaper budget, a Ryzen 5 3400G using integrated Vega 11.I'd pair the SSD with a larger HDD for media storage

Is a GPU needed if not gaming (I am a complete novice)?
Also any particular motherboard I should be looking for, ideally one that can accommodate future updates “future proofing”. Cheers
Cheesetoastie31/05/2020 09:39

Is a GPU needed if not gaming (I am a complete novice)?Also any particular …Is a GPU needed if not gaming (I am a complete novice)?Also any particular motherboard I should be looking for, ideally one that can accommodate future updates “future proofing”. Cheers

If you go for a ryzen with a built in GPU like a 3200g or 3400g then no. Ones without the g do not have a built in GPU so you'll need a separate card.

amazon.co.uk/AMD…h=1

Motherboard

amazon.co.uk/ASR…h=1

£82 on amazon - £75 from CPU world but amazon fulfilled (bargain imo)

Also IMO future proofing is pointless, buy something that suits your needs now as top end now will be mid range at best in a few years time. You just end up paying over the odds now for something that would have been a lot cheaper by the time it becomes low end. Better to spend £125 on a motherboard and CPU which will give you 2-3 years sufficient performance than £500 on something that might last a couple of years longer which itself is £300 in 3 years time
Edited by: "MrKrabs" 31st May
MrKrabs31/05/2020 10:20

If you go for a ryzen with a built in GPU like a 3200g or 3400g then no. …If you go for a ryzen with a built in GPU like a 3200g or 3400g then no. Ones without the g do not have a built in GPU so you'll need a separate card.https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-3400G-Processor-Graphics/dp/B07STGHZK8/ref=asc_df_B07SXNDKNM/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310739933748&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1197156884268388555&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006510&hvtargid=pla-783429064921&th=1£82 on amazon

Ahhh that clarifies it. Appreciate the clarification.
Cheesetoastie31/05/2020 09:37

I haven’t got discord but if it’s free I will check it out. Cheers for the …I haven’t got discord but if it’s free I will check it out. Cheers for the heads up

Yeah discord is free
I was going to post it but someone else already did. You will find all the answers you need on Reddit buildmeapc forum. Just make sure you put your budget and computer requirements!
Cheesetoastie31/05/2020 09:37

I haven’t got discord but if it’s free I will check it out. Cheers for the …I haven’t got discord but if it’s free I will check it out. Cheers for the heads up

I'd also recommend the r/buildapc discord (but not the subreddit)
Cheers guys I appreciate it. Reddit and Discord are perfect
If not gaming, you either need integrated graphics... in descending performance order Ryzen 5 3400G, Ryzen 3 3200G, Athlon 3000G (Previous series was 2400G, 2200G and 200GE). Intel CPU (except "F" models) also have integrated graphics, while only the AMD G models have it

Or you need a "placeholder" graphics card like a GT710, or something more recent like a GT1030.

PS. One advantage of the GT1650/1660 is they have a very good media encoding function that is good for accelerated media conversion - their encoder is better than the 10 series and earlier.
matth999901/06/2020 00:43

If not gaming, you either need integrated graphics... in descending …If not gaming, you either need integrated graphics... in descending performance order Ryzen 5 3400G, Ryzen 3 3200G, Athlon 3000G (Previous series was 2400G, 2200G and 200GE). Intel CPU (except "F" models) also have integrated graphics, while only the AMD G models have itOr you need a "placeholder" graphics card like a GT710, or something more recent like a GT1030.PS. One advantage of the GT1650/1660 is they have a very good media encoding function that is good for accelerated media conversion - their encoder is better than the 10 series and earlier.

If performance and speed (very minimal loading time) were the primary goal would you opt for a CPU on its own, or combined with GPU like those you mentioned above.
Edited by: "Cheesetoastie" 1st Jun
Cheesetoastie01/06/2020 08:27

If performance and speed (very minimal loading time) would you opt for a …If performance and speed (very minimal loading time) would you opt for a CPU on its own, or combined with GPU like those you mentioned above.

GPU will have Zero effect on loading times.

Decent nvme SSD, CPU, fast memory 8gb or more, in dual or flex channel. In that order. If going with a Ryzen g model, maybe look at 16gb (2x 8gb sticks)
MrKrabs31/05/2020 10:20

If you go for a ryzen with a built in GPU like a 3200g or 3400g then no. …If you go for a ryzen with a built in GPU like a 3200g or 3400g then no. Ones without the g do not have a built in GPU so you'll need a separate card.https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-3400G-Processor-Graphics/dp/B07STGHZK8/ref=asc_df_B07SXNDKNM/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310739933748&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1197156884268388555&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006510&hvtargid=pla-783429064921&th=1Motherboard https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASRock-B450M-HDV-R4-0-Promontory-Motherboard/dp/B07MWGKHR9/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=am4%2Bb350&qid=1590917010&refinements=p_76%3A419158031&rnid=419157031&rps=1&s=computers&sr=1-2&th=1£82 on amazon - £75 from CPU world but amazon fulfilled (bargain imo)Also IMO future proofing is pointless, buy something that suits your needs now as top end now will be mid range at best in a few years time. You just end up paying over the odds now for something that would have been a lot cheaper by the time it becomes low end. Better to spend £125 on a motherboard and CPU which will give you 2-3 years sufficient performance than £500 on something that might last a couple of years longer which itself is £300 in 3 years time

i dont agree when it comes to cpu , i still use a 3770k which Is 8 years old and the newest 10700K is still only 50% faster or so, Cpu tech really has not moved all that much unless the software you are using is fully exploiting the latest tech.I would always invest heavy in cpu ram and a decent PSU and let the gpu slip as thats where the tech seems to bemoving faster. Although even that has slowed now as we are seeing max setting 1080/1440p justfine and 4k gaming is still not wholey accessable without a large chunk of money.
MrKrabs01/06/2020 08:39

GPU will have Zero effect on loading times.Decent nvme SSD, CPU, fast …GPU will have Zero effect on loading times.Decent nvme SSD, CPU, fast memory 8gb or more, in dual or flex channel. In that order. If going with a Ryzen g model, maybe look at 16gb (2x 8gb sticks)

I am not sure if the following link works, but if it does, are you happy to cast your eye over some parts i put together based on your feedback (motherboard and CPU you mentioned above, plus a decent? SSD, the other bits are simply based on how well rated they appear to be ) and see if there are any glaringly obvious issues, or adjustments to make? uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…jk6
Nutkin01/06/2020 08:56

i dont agree when it comes to cpu , i still use a 3770k which Is 8 years …i dont agree when it comes to cpu , i still use a 3770k which Is 8 years old and the newest 10700K is still only 50% faster or so, Cpu tech really has not moved all that much unless the software you are using is fully exploiting the latest tech.I would always invest heavy in cpu ram and a decent PSU and let the gpu slip as thats where the tech seems to bemoving faster. Although even that has slowed now as we are seeing max setting 1080/1440p justfine and 4k gaming is still not wholey accessable without a large chunk of money.

What would you describe as a good PSU? Bearing in mind i would want the noise to be as low as possible (if that is even affected by PSU; in addition to the fan/cooler)
Cheesetoastie01/06/2020 12:04

What would you describe as a good PSU? Bearing in mind i would want the …What would you describe as a good PSU? Bearing in mind i would want the noise to be as low as possible (if that is even affected by PSU; in addition to the fan/cooler)

gamingscan.com/psu…hy/

Here is a good Hierarchy guide and just get the best you can afford, Obviously the "Whisper" etc ones will draw your attention. But it is normally reported that people underappreciated what a bad PSU can do to your system and when it goes wrong it can take most your PC with it! I personally invested in an EVGA G2 and expect it to probably last a fair few systems and upgrades, they have a well known good customer service too. However it is not especially quiet but I wouldn't say it was loud either.
Cheesetoastie01/06/2020 12:02

I am not sure if the following link works, but if it does, are you happy …I am not sure if the following link works, but if it does, are you happy to cast your eye over some parts i put together based on your feedback (motherboard and CPU you mentioned above, plus a decent? SSD, the other bits are simply based on how well rated they appear to be ) and see if there are any glaringly obvious issues, or adjustments to make? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6HMjk6

uk.pcpartpicker.com/pro…281
Something like this is cheaper and mroe than enough W for your system and quiet.
Nutkin01/06/2020 12:13

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/3Vc48d/be-quiet-straight-power-11-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-bn281Something like this is cheaper and mroe than enough W for your system and quiet.

Perfect, cheaper than the corsair one I blindly picked on my draft build on part picker, appreciate the feedback
Could go a bit lower on the PSU, so long as you keep it 80+ bronze rated. disappointed to find the CIT ATV PRO is discontinued, that was 500W 80+ with non-modular, but all black cabling.

If you don't plan on upgrading to a graphics card, then a 350-400W PSU would actually be on the sweet spot of efficiency, as this normally peaks at 50% load... efficiency at lower loads drops due to fixed overheads, and at higher loads drops due to increasing resistive losses.

Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on a case, bling or no bling.
That is also a pretty expensive SSD, though for low noise, no HDD may be a good move... There are cheaper 1TB NVME drives like the Sabrent for £129 or the WD Blue that's even cheaper but not as fast (though all are WAY faster than SATA)
matth999903/06/2020 01:02

Could go a bit lower on the PSU, so long as you keep it 80+ bronze rated. …Could go a bit lower on the PSU, so long as you keep it 80+ bronze rated. disappointed to find the CIT ATV PRO is discontinued, that was 500W 80+ with non-modular, but all black cabling.If you don't plan on upgrading to a graphics card, then a 350-400W PSU would actually be on the sweet spot of efficiency, as this normally peaks at 50% load... efficiency at lower loads drops due to fixed overheads, and at higher loads drops due to increasing resistive losses.Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on a case, bling or no bling.That is also a pretty expensive SSD, though for low noise, no HDD may be a good move... There are cheaper 1TB NVME drives like the Sabrent for £129 or the WD Blue that's even cheaper but not as fast (though all are WAY faster than SATA)

Cheers man. I have changed out the case for a basic Corsair one (£50 or so).
Someone else has mentioned spending too much on the SSD and suggested the WD Blue so I will look into that. Appreciate your advice
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants