PC build (first timer!)

Found 12th Feb
Hello!

I'm taking a dive into the gaming PC pool as I'm in need of a new computer for work (book keeping etc) and want to branch out into pc gaming myself (plus my kids have been on at me for over a year about it!). I've been doing a bit of research but I feel a bit out of my depth!

Prices are high at the moment from what I can gather. Is it worth me building something that can tide me over and use for work (I need this ASAP) and upgrade later for better gaming?

I'd like to spend no more than £500 as I'll need to purchase a monitor/keyboard/mouse etc. I'm also not against 2nd hand parts if there's components that are safe to buy pre-owned??

Again, I just don't know where to start! Any help would be great. The kids would play Roblox/Minecraft and I fancy trying a bit of Overwatch/Skyrim/Destiny if that plays into what I'd be looking for?!

Thank you!
Community Updates
AskElectronics
6 Comments
Well graphics card prices are very high at the moment due to crypto mining (they are buying them all up sending prices through the roof).

If your looking for something that can start as a base and be upgraded put your money into the case, power supply, processor, ram and an SSD and get a cheap or second hand graphics card. That way when you want to upgrade in the future you are looking only to replace your graphics card. As upgrading a processor often means a socket change meaning you need a new motherboard.

Use ukpartpicker (google it) to help you put together a build. Note the prices can be a little off but the site tells you if parts are incompatible.
You can play Minecraft on integrated graphics. I would start off by buying a lower end i5, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD, basic motherboard. Then at a later date spend £150-200 on a graphics card.
As others have said, it's not a good time to be delving into PC gaming on a budget basis, just priced up a new system for my friend and it's mental.
The midrange GFX card that is most gamers favourite (the GTX1060) is fetching £300 not a lot left for the rest of the system, is there nothing you can salvage from your previous setup(maybe the copy of windows will save a few quid)
maddogb11 h, 32 m ago

As others have said, it's not a good time to be delving into PC gaming on …As others have said, it's not a good time to be delving into PC gaming on a budget basis, just priced up a new system for my friend and it's mental.The midrange GFX card that is most gamers favourite (the GTX1060) is fetching £300 not a lot left for the rest of the system, is there nothing you can salvage from your previous setup(maybe the copy of windows will save a few quid)

I have no previous setup! We've been console gamers and I've just always used my iPad for other things!
cmdr_elito13 h, 36 m ago

Well graphics card prices are very high at the moment due to crypto mining …Well graphics card prices are very high at the moment due to crypto mining (they are buying them all up sending prices through the roof).If your looking for something that can start as a base and be upgraded put your money into the case, power supply, processor, ram and an SSD and get a cheap or second hand graphics card. That way when you want to upgrade in the future you are looking only to replace your graphics card. As upgrading a processor often means a socket change meaning you need a new motherboard.Use ukpartpicker (google it) to help you put together a build. Note the prices can be a little off but the site tells you if parts are incompatible.

Thanks for your comment. I'll be spending tonight on that site trying to put together something!
MIDURIX12 h, 22 m ago

You can play Minecraft on integrated graphics. I would start off by buying …You can play Minecraft on integrated graphics. I would start off by buying a lower end i5, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD, basic motherboard. Then at a later date spend £150-200 on a graphics card.

Thank you! I'll keep this in mind
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants