Groups

PC build for gaming

Hi, I'm looking to build my first gaming PC in years and after some research have come up with the following configuration on Part Picker bearing in mind my budget is no more than £1000.

If anyone can please think of swapping anything to lower the price whilst maintaining very similar performance that would be great, should I wait for a Ryzen 1600X instead ??

Zalman Z9 Neo Case - Like USB 2/3 on front, 5 fans included and option for optical drive
    amazon.co.uk/Zal…DHQ

i5-7600k CPU - seems good all rounder ?
    aria.co.uk/Pro…058

NOCTUA NH-U9s - good reviews and users say it works well on high-end cpu's like 5830k
    alza.co.uk/noc…291

MSI Intel 1151 Z270 A-Pro Motherboard
    morecomputers.com/pro…%3d

Crucial 16GB RAM
    amazon.co.uk/dp/…VC/

ADATA 240GB SSD
    amazon.co.uk/dp/…338

WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive
    amazon.co.uk/dp/…PK/

Gigabyte GTX 1070 - seen these as low as £300 so will keep a look out
    cclonline.com/pro…18/

EVGA 500W PSU - Part Picker suggests total wattage of 370W (assuming everything is @ 100%), so I think the PSU should be more than adequate?
    aria.co.uk/Pro…504

Can't really go higher than this in terms of cost.

14 Comments

Z270 motherboard, Z170 isn't compatible with KabyLake without bios updates.

Are you going to overclock?
    Edited by: "ritchiedrama" 13th Mar

Original Poster

ritchiedrama

Z270 motherboard, Z170 isn't compatible with KabyLake without bios … Z270 motherboard, Z170 isn't compatible with KabyLake without bios updates.Are you going to overclock?

Thanks glad I asked now, have changed to a Z270 based board, may not overclock from day 1 but would like the option to do so.

Original Poster

ritchiedrama

Z270 motherboard, Z170 isn't compatible with KabyLake without bios … Z270 motherboard, Z170 isn't compatible with KabyLake without bios updates.Are you going to overclock?

If you reckon I can get away with not overclocking then that would be great, not too fussed about this feature if it means I lower the cost.

This would be my personal preference:

uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…8Cy

You could make it cheaper, but there would be sacrifices, and I'd rather spend that £75 more and have this, personally.

Edit: If you DON'T overclock, you can get it for about £900. But I'd always overclock, personally, as I love it, it's fun.

Currently got my 7700K at 5ghz at low voltage

Edited by: "ritchiedrama" 13th Mar

Original Poster

ritchiedrama

This would be my personal … This would be my personal preference:https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wF68CyYou could make it cheaper, but there would be sacrifices, and I'd rather spend that £75 more and have this, personally.Edit: If you DON'T overclock, you can get it for about £900. But I'd always overclock, personally, as I love it, it's fun.Currently got my 7700K at 5ghz at low voltage

Nice one I'll save that list, I was looking at that case (and the Elite version)

daudiamd

If you reckon I can get away with not overclocking then that would be … If you reckon I can get away with not overclocking then that would be great, not too fussed about this feature if it means I lower the cost.

You do pay £50-100 for the privilege in terms of cooler, motherboard and CPU costs, so if you're not bothered I'd probably dump it.

If you're not in any hurry you may as well wait for the Ryzen Hexacores and Vega 1070-equivalents.

PCPartPickers listings are often a bit patchy, so do look in the shops to see the full range of what's available for stuff like a case before making the final choice.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

You do pay £50-100 for the privilege in terms of cooler, motherboard and … You do pay £50-100 for the privilege in terms of cooler, motherboard and CPU costs, so if you're not bothered I'd probably dump it.If you're not in any hurry you may as well wait for the Ryzen Hexacores and Vega 1070-equivalents. PCPartPickers listings are often a bit patchy, so do look in the shops to see the full range of what's available for stuff like a case before making the final choice.

If the Ryzen hexcore cpu's turn out to be average then i'll probably go with a standard i5-7500, would that be good enough ?

or save yourself money and build time by using freshtechsolutions.co.uk/
    Saves all the messing around

ritchiedrama

Plenty of z170 boards are coming pre-flashed right now to support Kabylake. Gigabyte z170 sli available on Novatech for £90. If you dropped to this, stayed with stock cooler, but got what ritchie drama recommended above otherwise it would be a build for £1000
    Edited by: "Nalwoir" 13th Mar

Original Poster

PKRichie

or save yourself money and build time by using … or save yourself money and build time by using http://www.freshtechsolutions.co.uk/Saves all the messing around

Yes I've been looking at them for a while, they have good pre-builds like this one but not huge difference compared to custom build if not overclocking:
    freshtechsolutions.co.uk/pre…tml

Do you think they give you a good 1070, or doesn't it matter?

Edited by: "daudiamd" 13th Mar

daudiamd

Yes I've been looking at them for a while, they have good pre-builds like … Yes I've been looking at them for a while, they have good pre-builds like this one but not huge difference compared to custom build if not overclocking:https://www.freshtechsolutions.co.uk/pre-built-custom-pcs/intel-gaming-computers/intel-core-i5-7500-2tb-ssd-16gb-2133mhz-gtx-1070-8gb-falcon-gaming-pc.htmlDo you think they give you a good 1070, or doesn't it matter?

These pre-builds usually use the cheapest available option, so budget ram, 1070, mobo etc. PSU looks decent though. I would contact customer support for the specific brands prior to buying. Not worth the small drop in price for the potential drop in quality.

PKRichie

or save yourself money and build time by using … or save yourself money and build time by using http://www.freshtechsolutions.co.uk/Saves all the messing around

Worst idea so far.

daudiamd

If the Ryzen hexcore cpu's turn out to be average then i'll probably go … If the Ryzen hexcore cpu's turn out to be average then i'll probably go with a standard i5-7500, would that be good enough ?

This was my point previously, you can save a lot on budget if you went for something like:

uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…sxY

Then upgrade to 16GB RAM later, etc.

But, me personally I'd rather save another £100-200 and go for what I suggested originally.

Original Poster

ritchiedrama

This was my point previously, you can save a lot on budget if you went … This was my point previously, you can save a lot on budget if you went for something like:https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zkLsxYThen upgrade to 16GB RAM later, etc. But, me personally I'd rather save another £100-200 and go for what I suggested originally.

Ok thanks man, I see what you're saying
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What is the true cost of 4K HDR home cinema entertainment in 2017?78
      2. Jury service1824
      3. Large card print/poster..34
      4. What laptop to choose?33

See more discussions