Groups

Pc Build Help

I don't think my PSU has the cables that fit into my GPU! where can I get them from and where do I plug them in my PSU anyone help?

14 Comments

You can get adapters for older power supplies but those connectors have been around for a decade so most PSUs now have them. If this is a new PSU then you may have to replace it with something more capable.

Which specific card and PSU do you have?

as above need specifics on psu and gpu

I'm guessing you are looking at an 8 bit coming off your PSU and not realising it separates in to two 4s?

Original Poster

GPU-MSI GTX 970 4GB
    PSU- CIT 500CB

Buy a new psu seriously as cit only make crap not worth risking a decent gpu

Original Poster

emodan

Buy a new psu seriously as cit only make crap not worth risking a decent … Buy a new psu seriously as cit only make crap not worth risking a decent gpu

​I got everything for free tho... don't really wanna spend money and if I have to I can't afford a lot

Original Poster

praevalens

I'm guessing you are looking at an 8 bit coming off your PSU and not … I'm guessing you are looking at an 8 bit coming off your PSU and not realising it separates in to two 4s?

​Nope my PSU doesn't have one at all... someone said to get a new PSU as the one I have is rubbish

Oliver_Warden8

​Nope my PSU doesn't have one at all... someone said to get a new PSU as t … ​Nope my PSU doesn't have one at all... someone said to get a new PSU as the one I have is rubbish

PSU is terrible. I'd buy a new one, you get something okay for around £40 if you look carefully.
    Edited by: "joshp" 30th Nov 2016

Original Poster

What do I need to look for? Just want the PSU to work with my GPU (GTX 970 4GD5T OC)

it's got x2 6pins

praevalens

I'm guessing you are looking at an 8 bit coming off your PSU and not … I'm guessing you are looking at an 8 bit coming off your PSU and not realising it separates in to two 4s?

If he is that's the wrong connector to use. The 4+4 and equivalent 8-pin connector are for motherboards, they're a slightly different shape to the PCI-E 8-pin connector and not compatible.

If it's this model then it only provides 20A (240W) at 12v which is the voltage most PC components use. An MSI 970 alone will peak at 213W and most CPUs are 50-60W:
    techpowerup.com/rev…tml

In short, it doesn't have the appropriate connectors because it can't provide sufficient power for them. You need to find a different power supply for that graphics card.

EDIT: As for a new one, you don't need anything special £40-45 on a 450-500W model from a reputable brand would be perfectly adequate.
    Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 30th Nov 2016

Original Poster

would you be able to link me a few PSU That you would recommend for my GPU and would I need to change anything else?

cclonline.com/pro…73/ CIT do have a model with some more juice, and despite being cheap, it does score an 80+ Bronze rating.

But that EVGA has a much better pedigree!

I would go with a new PSU as others have said, EVGA and Corsair both provide generally good PSUs that you can rely on. A few friends of mine have cheaped out on PSUs before and ended up going through multiple Hard drives and other components simply due to a bad PSU, so it's worth getting something decent.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767482
      2. Bearded chat13
      3. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery1932
      4. One thing you've forgotten1517

See more discussions