PC Build Suggestions (GPU+Mobo)

Posted 25th Sep
Hello - I’m just looking for a bit of advice in regards to components for a PC build... I have half an idea but not much of a clue on the rest!

I’ve just purchased 2 x 27 inch Nitro VG1 monitors (IPS, 144hz, 1ms + FreeSync.

I was also thinking of going for a Ryzen 5 3600x.

However unsure of what GPU / Mobo to get in order to maximise the benefits of the FreeSync... so any suggestions appreciated.

My budget isn’t unlimited so I was thinking maybe £150-£300 for GPU and not sure on Mobo.. maybe £100 max?

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
My recommendation would be.

CPU: Ryzen 3600 (3600X is not worth the extra £30 IMO)
Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk - Fantasic board for the price.
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700
I've got a Mortar Max motherboard and had no problems with getting the CPU/RAM to run at advertised speeds. I agree with the other poster, just get the 3600 and put the extra to a GPU. If you want to stay under £300 for a GPU, you'd be looking at a 1660ti or 2060 (non-super). I'd probably put the extra to for a 5700 though.
Danze198425/09/2019 13:51

I've got a Mortar Max motherboard and had no problems with getting the …I've got a Mortar Max motherboard and had no problems with getting the CPU/RAM to run at advertised speeds. I agree with the other poster, just get the 3600 and put the extra to a GPU. If you want to stay under £300 for a GPU, you'd be looking at a 1660ti or 2060 (non-super). I'd probably put the extra to for a 5700 though.

5700 for £286.73 here hotukdeals.com/dea…240
Gormond25/09/2019 13:56

5700 for £286.73 here …5700 for £286.73 here https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/amd-powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-8gb-ggdr6-gpu-3299240

I'd rather pay extra to not have to deal with the heat and noise of a blower card.
Danze198425/09/2019 13:59

I'd rather pay extra to not have to deal with the heat and noise of a …I'd rather pay extra to not have to deal with the heat and noise of a blower card.

Yeah me too, was just showing that it is possible to get it for under £300
Gormond25/09/2019 14:00

Yeah me too, was just showing that it is possible to get it for under £300 …Yeah me too, was just showing that it is possible to get it for under £300

Good option for anyone that wants to stick a water cooling bracket on I'm sure! But then price wise you're in the 5700XT range. It's a silly hobby.
You can get motherboard with X470 chipset for £110
Gormond25/09/2019 13:30

My recommendation would be.CPU: Ryzen 3600 (3600X is not worth the extra …My recommendation would be.CPU: Ryzen 3600 (3600X is not worth the extra £30 IMO)Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk - Fantasic board for the price.GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700

Danze198425/09/2019 13:51

I've got a Mortar Max motherboard and had no problems with getting the …I've got a Mortar Max motherboard and had no problems with getting the CPU/RAM to run at advertised speeds. I agree with the other poster, just get the 3600 and put the extra to a GPU. If you want to stay under £300 for a GPU, you'd be looking at a 1660ti or 2060 (non-super). I'd probably put the extra to for a 5700 though.

Can I ask what difference there is between getting a 5700 like suggested and the one you guys linked for £286?

Is one for water cooling but you can get a different version for non water cooling?
Danze198425/09/2019 13:59

I'd rather pay extra to not have to deal with the heat and noise of a …I'd rather pay extra to not have to deal with the heat and noise of a blower card.

But those are £350...
jackfreemanwkd25/09/2019 15:28

Can I ask what difference there is between getting a 5700 like suggested …Can I ask what difference there is between getting a 5700 like suggested and the one you guys linked for £286?Is one for water cooling but you can get a different version for non water cooling?

The blower cooler means the cooler is set up to blow air along the card and out of the slot on the backplate. Most coolers go down fans that blow directly against the card so the hot air leaves the card in all directions.

The more restricted airflow path does mean blowers have to work harder, which results in them being noisier. In small systems this is countered by the reduction of hot air inside the case, but in larger and open air systems they're not very popular.

What is the PC being used for? Two monitors is unusual for gaming (because anything in the center of the screen like crosshairs falls in the gap between the two), but it's generally only games that take advantage of freesync.
jackfreemanwkd25/09/2019 15:28

Can I ask what difference there is between getting a 5700 like suggested …Can I ask what difference there is between getting a 5700 like suggested and the one you guys linked for £286?Is one for water cooling but you can get a different version for non water cooling?

The one I suggested is fine, it just wont be the quietest card around when under load.
Edited by: "Gormond" 25th Sep
EndlessWaves25/09/2019 15:49

The blower cooler means the cooler is set up to blow air along the card …The blower cooler means the cooler is set up to blow air along the card and out of the slot on the backplate. Most coolers go down fans that blow directly against the card so the hot air leaves the card in all directions. The more restricted airflow path does mean blowers have to work harder, which results in them being noisier. In small systems this is countered by the reduction of hot air inside the case, but in larger and open air systems they're not very popular.What is the PC being used for? Two monitors is unusual for gaming (because anything in the center of the screen like crosshairs falls in the gap between the two), but it's generally only games that take advantage of freesync.

On that note then, is the 5700 that is suggested recommend then or not

Plus I had planned on using a screen in the centre for gaming, and one on the left for just browsing/doing other stuff etc.

Plus yeah since the monitors I’ve bought have it, I just thought I might as well try and utilise it
Gormond25/09/2019 15:58

The one I suggested is fine, it just wont be the quietest card around when …The one I suggested is fine, it just wont be the quietest card around when under load.

Would anything similar to it in that price range be quieter? Or is it worth just biting the bullet as it’s the best performing card for the cost?
jackfreemanwkd25/09/2019 16:03

Would anything similar to it in that price range be quieter? Or is it …Would anything similar to it in that price range be quieter? Or is it worth just biting the bullet as it’s the best performing card for the cost?

Personally I would get the 5700, it really depends how sensitive you are to noise.

Plenty of cards under £300 with better coolers but they will all be a fair bit slower.
Edited by: "Gormond" 25th Sep
Gormond25/09/2019 16:07

Personally I would get the 5700, it really depends how sensitive you are …Personally I would get the 5700, it really depends how sensitive you are to noise.Plenty of cards under £300 with better coolers but they will all be a fair bit slower.

I mean I don’t think I’m that sensitive to noise I’ll bare that one in mind as my top choice then - thanks for the help!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants