Groups

PC Builders What CPU Should i get

what would be better for Gaming

AMD X2 6000 @3.1GHZ

AMD Phenom X3 8450 @2.1GHZ

5 Comments

According to this article the phenom is 9% slower than the 6000 Dual core.....

]http//am…tml

For gaming though, you would be better being concerned with the best SLI or Crossfire motherboard and selection of graphics cards.

Games are not very adapted to multi-core CPU's, very rarely more than 2, so the extra clockspeed of the X2 will give it a decent lead over the Phenom in most games. Graphics card is most important though - personally I wouldn't bother with the SLi/Crossfire route but get a decent single card (something like a Radeon 4850 or better if your budget will allow).

Worth looking at Intel Core 2 as well if you havent got the motherboard yet - I'm an AMD fan but the Core 2 is a great chip and signifcantly outperforms the AMD offerings at similar clockspeeds...

Original Poster

I am upgrading from a X2 4800 as it quite old and with i have now sold

I noticed a few games are starting to need requirement of X2 5200 or better

so the x2 6000 would last me quite a while

if i get the X2 6000 (Brisbane Core) I wont have to upgrade my Motherboard (with would save me money)

this is the sytem i will use it on

ALiveNF5-eSATA2+
    x-fi SC
    2gb Ram
    9600gt

Original Poster

bump it up

DelBoy100;3308679

I noticed a few games are starting to need requirement of X2 5200 or … I noticed a few games are starting to need requirement of X2 5200 or better

TBH I wouldn't read too much into the system requirements for CPU. The graphics card is far more important. If you are upgrading from a 2.5GHz 4800+ you can expect around a 20% boost in CPU performance which isn't really that much; its certainly not the difference between games running and not running.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4832309
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764698
      3. TEKKEN goes mobile (iOS/Andorid)717
      4. Are these two things distinctly different to you?36199

See more discussions