PC buying advice needed please..................

9 replies
Found 21st Mar 2009
Hi guys........ My old faithful 8 year old PC is just about on it's last legs and I'm looking to replace. I don't need a monitor, speakers or any other included peripherals - just a decent tower with fast processor, graphics card and windows media centre built in. I'm planning to use it with a Linksys media centre extender and powerline network kit (which I guess are pretty much compatible with any pc). My budget is upto £600; but can be extended if there's something worth the extra expense.......... Any of you out there have any ideas.... ? ? ? Thanks.

7 Comments

why not keep your old case and drives and rebuild it to the specs you want, it want work out better over all

If you want the Media Centre bult in then dont go for Windows Vista Home Basic or Windows Vista Business. Neither of those have the Media Centre built in.

wickedteen;4703266

why not keep your old case and drives and rebuild it to the specs you … why not keep your old case and drives and rebuild it to the specs you want, it want work out better over all

He will almost certainly need a new power supply if it is 8 years old (wrong conectors), also if it is 8 years old the drives will be very small compared with todays drives.

Probably best to start again from scratch.

Do you need it to be playing games on high settings or if you dont play lots of games you should be ok with considering on board graphics?

Also you have a original windows CD with licence or would you need a new one? Or be willing to find some where to get a free one

how about a dell...?

]Dell XPS 430

£599 + 10% discount code available. (S9MKL7FJRML591)

You could go for something like this

overclockers.co.uk/sho…at=

an just play around with the options a little bit to get a price are you ok with.

But are as you not gaming, guessing you only really going to be using it with media centre etc it might be a bit over kill for you.

Are there any other programmes you use a lot, like for encoding video etc.

Have you used torrents before, cos thats where you could get a copy of windows from. but dont think i can go in to to much detail here as some people think its very naughty
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Xbox 360 Games with Gold33
    2. Tomtop Xiaomi Mi A1 deal removed440
    3. heart rate monitor fitness watch11
    4. Amazon account for Alexa only33

See more discussions