PC Case Cooling Advice

Posted 12th AprEdited by:"m1keyp1key"
Time to change my case fans and i'm looking for a solution that's quiet. My case can have up to 5 fans, however 3 can be controlled via controls on my case....which i really like so ideally would like no more than 3 fans. Currently just have the 2 that say "included".

My case is set up like this :-

Top : 2 x 120mm or 2 x 140 mm or 1 x 200mm Fan (Optional)

Front : 2 x 120mm or 2 x 140 mm Fans ( Included 1 x 140mm Black Fan)

Rear : 1 x 120mm Fan ( Included 1 x 120mm Black Fan)

How do you recommend i set my case up with 3 new fans and do i try to look for the biggest fans and then look at the spec or are there some really good 120mm fans that will do ?

Just looked up my fan spec and currently the 120mm is 25.5dba and the 140 is 28.5dba max.

I would have though i definately want a fan in the top but no idea if i should go for the 200mm one or just get a smaller one. Logically i would have thought the bigger the fan the less noise due to less rpms needed. But is that the case?

Btw not bothered about lighting gimmicks. Just nice and quiet.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Have a looking at Arctic fan.
They are usually good value.
Cisco0606065 m ago

Have a looking at Arctic fan.They are usually good value.

Thanks, i did look at them to start with and all the options PWM, PWM-PST, TC and the rest. They are the reason i started asking questions
Your current fans should be almost inaudible at the quoted values and that's assuming you're running them at max speed which would be unusual.

Are you sure it's them that's producing the noise? The only way I'd expect them to be noisy is if they're a few years old. The bearings in especially cheap fans can get substantially more noisy over time.

If it is definitely the case fans then the general advice is to have more intakes than exhausts as this helps keep dust out. Assuming a normal internal layout for your case you'd want two on the front sucking air in and one exhaust on either the top or the side.

Bigger is bigger for air flow vs. noise, but most systems in tower cases don't put out enough heat to push what a 120mm is capable of cooling quietly so I wouldn't spend a huge amount extra just to get a bigger fan.
EndlessWaves8 m ago

Your current fans should be almost inaudible at the quoted values and …Your current fans should be almost inaudible at the quoted values and that's assuming you're running them at max speed which would be unusual. Are you sure it's them that's producing the noise? The only way I'd expect them to be noisy is if they're a few years old. The bearings in especially cheap fans can get substantially more noisy over time. If it is definitely the case fans then the general advice is to have more intakes than exhausts as this helps keep dust out. Assuming a normal internal layout for your case you'd want two on the front sucking air in and one exhaust on either the top or the side. Bigger is bigger for air flow vs. noise, but most systems in tower cases don't put out enough heat to push what a 120mm is capable of cooling quietly so I wouldn't spend a huge amount extra just to get a bigger fan.

They are not that noisy, it's just me and oversensitive hearing and i didnt want to change things to make it worse.

So layout wise it makes sense to go with two at the front and one on the top then. If i stick to all 120 or 140mm with dba less than i have now then i'm looking at an improvement in cooling and loudness.
It may be more important to you to get a fan that sounds unobtrusive rather than a quiet one. Volume isn't everything and a quiet but whiny fan can be more annoying than a louder one with a more pleasant sound

You have to read reviews to discover what's best there though. I'm not up to date on the current offerings.
EndlessWaves5 m ago

It may be more important to you to get a fan that sounds unobtrusive …It may be more important to you to get a fan that sounds unobtrusive rather than a quiet one. Volume isn't everything and a quiet but whiny fan can be more annoying than a louder one with a more pleasant soundYou have to read reviews to discover what's best there though. I'm not up to date on the current offerings.

Thanks, yep it may be a certain frequency that's better than others for me. The amd wraith is frequency i like and the msi 1050 geforce fans i dont like.
Think i've found a 140mm fan,Aerocool deadsilence. About half the dba of my current fans. Will get one to try and then upgrade the rest if any good. Only bad reviews on amazon are for the odd issue with build quality. It seems if you get one that works that it works very well and is very quiet.
Since you have fan controller, could you slower the fan speed?

also, what is the spec of your PC?
What PSU?
Any aftermarket CPU cooler?

These also produce fan noise.
Cisco06060625 m ago

Since you have fan controller, could you slower the fan speed?also, what …Since you have fan controller, could you slower the fan speed?also, what is the spec of your PC?What PSU?Any aftermarket CPU cooler?These also produce fan noise.

I can switch the fans off completely

I mostly run at 50% or in the winter switch the fans off. Psu is a corsair with 0rpm mode and that never spins up. Cooler is a ryzen wrath and tbh that's pretty quiet or at least a tone that doesnt bother me. My case fans are not that noisy i just didnt want to upgrade for better cooling and have the pc become noisier.

The most iritating noise is the 1050fans. I'll be getting a new gfx card sometime soon anyway and will look for one with a 0rpm mode.
I've picked up an Aerocool Dead Silence 14 CM 140mm Black Case Fan.

64.8cfm @ 14.2dba compared to my current fan 39.4cfm @ 28.5dba

So almost half the noise for double the air flow.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions