Groups

PC Clock speed problem.

Any pc guru's out there can help point me in the right direction.
    I built my own dual core PC some time ago. I noticed that when I've played media files it slows down occasionally, for about a second. This hasn't really been a problem so I ignored it. Yesterday I was watching a time out (remaining time) on an e-bay auction and noticed the countdown jumped as though trying to catch up. addendum: Played my first game on it this am. That slows down as well.
    Addendum2: Have been monitoring the cpu usage. While playing win media player, the CPU runs around 1 -5 % and peeks at 18% during the event. While the pc is idle (apart from background activity)- the cpu runs between 0 and 5% then peeks at 12% every now and then.
    Any ideas at where or what to look at?

Thanks

13 Comments

Original Poster

dga

That'll be a glitch in the Matrix. ;)I think the countdown data is pushed … That'll be a glitch in the Matrix. ;)I think the countdown data is pushed on each refresh so a small lag in the Internet link, or eBay having a usage spike could cause that. I very much doubt the two issues are linked unless you can find a 3rd occurrence of it. If you do find another program that freezes for a moment, run it side by side with the known media program that's giving you troubles.

It happens when I play through windows media player and if I play utube content so its not software specific.

Not sure what would cause this but nowadays I doubt it would be an IRQ/DMA issue. Open Task Manager and see what the performance graphs show. See if it spikes at the time you suffer these issues and then look in the processes tab to see if you can see which processes are causing high CPU usage.

Try using driver genius to get the latest drivers for your motherboards chipset, and just update everything while you are at it, you'd be surprised how fast drivers go out of date

Original Poster

Thanks for the input so far. I'm at work so cant actually access the PC in question. I'll take on board all you help so far and try what's been suggested. I had some BIOSissues when I first built it. I had a sata drive and a IDE drive which worked perfectly, until a "PC expert engineer" checked it out for me and tweaked it. I had to disable one of the drives. I'll have a good go on Saturday.
    Thanks everyone and if there's any more Ideas please advise.
    Much appreciated.
    Boxer

Even if a driver does cause a slight problem, which is an extremely rare occurrence, never heard of driver rollback?

Original Poster

Ive just played borderlands on it and that is doing the same thing. Its very odd.
    Have been monitoring the cpu usage. While playing win media player, the CPU runs around 1 -5 % and peeks at 18% during the event. While the pc is idle (apart from background activity)- the cpu runs between 0 and 5% then peeks at 12% every now and then.

Edited by: "Boxer" 17th Jun 2011

Original Poster

dga

Now you need to look at all the individual processes to see which one is … Now you need to look at all the individual processes to see which one is loading up the CPU cycles.

There's no significant change in any of the processes, the only change I can see is avg processes change by a kb or 2 nothing that stands out. I timed the occurrences this morning they went as follows- 65,63,60,60,65,63 seconds or so ( I had to look away from the pulses displayed to write the numbers down). something else I noticed is, it appears to be happening to the left display not the right, indicating only one core being effected?

Have you considered that it could be the graphics card? After all, the problem seems to be happening when you play games or watch videos..

Original Poster

oldmanhouse

Have you considered that it could be the graphics card? After all, the … Have you considered that it could be the graphics card? After all, the problem seems to be happening when you play games or watch videos..

No I monitored the pc without any media running and it still does it.

What are you using to monitor the cpu usage? If it's just task manager I'd download Process Explorer instead as it gives much more detailed information on what's running as well a seeing which processes are spawning new ones and then they're terminating as well as being able to suspend the process view to catch a process if it's only appearing briefly.

John

Original Poster

Johnmcl7

What are you using to monitor the cpu usage? If it's just task manager … What are you using to monitor the cpu usage? If it's just task manager I'd download Process Explorer instead as it gives much more detailed information on what's running as well a seeing which processes are spawning new ones and then they're terminating as well as being able to suspend the process view to catch a process if it's only appearing briefly.John

Thanks I'll give it a go.

Original Poster

dga

You could always fit a spare hard drive and install a fresh copy of your … You could always fit a spare hard drive and install a fresh copy of your OS to see what happens then. Maybe it will help you diagnose the isse some more.

Thanks
    I don't have a spare SATA drive at the mo. but I'm looking to buy a terabyte or more. I was hoping to make sure this problem is not a major hardware issue before spending more money..catch 22 situation.
    I'll see if I can borrow a drive from someone.
    Edited by: "Boxer" 19th Jun 2011

Original Poster

Johnmcl7

What are you using to monitor the cpu usage? If it's just task manager … What are you using to monitor the cpu usage? If it's just task manager I'd download Process Explorer instead as it gives much more detailed information on what's running as well a seeing which processes are spawning new ones and then they're terminating as well as being able to suspend the process view to catch a process if it's only appearing briefly.John

I've installed and run Process Explorer, wow its very busy. The only process that matches the CPU spike is 'interrupts'. I cant see a process that is causing a conflict. PE does not have any working help files so I'm stumbling around with it a bit.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheap Laptop?11
      2. Iphone 6 to which handset?712
      3. Second sky q mini box - can i buy from ebay?1015
      4. How are Very for pre-orders ?22

See more discussions